Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
If it did not change, books are printed 150 dpi at best. More points means need for more memory, more CPU speed, etc. The resources needed rise with square of dpi. So also energy consumption...

But sure higher dpi would be nice.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
At least 200dpi would be nice.
Better 300dpi! E-ink offers such screens with a resolution of 2400 x 1650!

I would be a big increase of quality for smaller letters and graphics.
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
books are printed 150 dpi at best.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Paper books are printed at 600dpi at minimum, and may be 1200dpi or even 2400dpi.

You might be thinking the the line screen for continuous images (i.e. photos). LCD screens can certainly better printed resolution for photos, even neglecting the ability to zoom.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Quote:
If it did not change, books are printed 150 dpi at best. More points means need for more memory, more CPU speed, etc. The resources needed rise with square of dpi. So also energy consumption...

But sure higher dpi would be nice.
I don't know about you, but most people and I bought the M92 for reading graphic heavy textbooks and pdf. If you want read only text only novels, then why not just get a smaller e-reader?

Last edited by FinancialWar; 04-19-2013 at 10:45 PM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
fatran
fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
the resolution of the m92 seem low compare to some of the newer HD readers on the market. ... 2. It's PPI of 150 is extremely low by today's standard. ...
I have bought my M92 after inspecting ipad4 which boasts of retina display with 264ppi. After discovery that ipad4's software rendering is still limited to 132ppi (see photo), I have realized that I will be satisfied with M92's 150ppi :-)

In the very beginning I was considering jetBook Color, but even its 204ppi was too little. Reasonable optimum for scanned books is 300ppi at bw colors. However, E-ink has 16 grayscale colors, therefore even 150ppi is satisfactory. Attached is my experiment with 10pt character "P" rendered at various ppi and color depth.

Last edited by fatran; 04-20-2013 at 06:57 AM.
fatran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
the resolution of the m92 seem low compare to some of the newer HD readers on the market.
After all, at 9.7 inches, it's only got resolution around my 5.5 inches galaxy note 2. It's PPI of 150 is extremely low by today's standard.

Hope they release a refresh with a higher resolution, Android OS.
Also, I reckon, you would also appreciate a secondary screen on the backside because, one screen is extremely low by today's standard, am I right?

But let us stick with your suggestion for now: Is there actually a reason why you think 150PPI does not suffice for the ereader's purpose? Are you having trouble reading the text?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
But let us stick with your suggestion for now: Is there actually a reason why you think 150PPI does not suffice for the ereader's purpose? Are you having trouble reading the text?
Good argument there. It's like saying why do you want to buy a car that a car that go above 100 km/h because you never need a faster car due to legal limit....
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

No, ManDay just asks you, why do you think you need more than 150dpi. If you have trouble with some texts, etc. More does not mean always better. 300dpi needs four time more resources (memory, computing power, energy) than 150dpi.

So, what is the benefit of having 300 dpi in your opinion. There are pros, but there are also cons. Benefits should overweight...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
So, what is the benefit of having 300 dpi in your opinion. There are pros, but there are also cons. Benefits should overweight...
I think that @fatran's image showing the letter "P" rendered at various ppi settings shows the advantage clearly for going from 150 to 300 ppi when the characters are in fixed positions (i.e. in PDF documents). It is even more apparent for small mathematical objects like subscripts and superscripts. So, for scientific and technical documents, a higher resolution would be beneficial.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #25
FinancialWar
Banned

Quote:
No, ManDay just asks you, why do you think you need more than 150dpi. If you have trouble with some texts, etc. More does not mean always better. 300dpi needs four time more resources (memory, computing power, energy) than 150dpi.

Sharper text and pictures... do you even have to ask such a redundant question? 150ppi screen on the m92 is blurry especially consider how close and personally the ereader is. For example just look an the boot up screen and see how blurry the picture is.
There is 8 core phone with 1080p screen at 450ppi and plethora of cheap tablets on the market with beautiful and sharp screens with good processor.

If you don't see the benefit, then stay with the m92, no one is going to force you to upgrade. But for me, I would like a sharper screen and I am willing to paid for that feature.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 04-21-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #26
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Sharper text and pictures...
It speaks for itsself that you refuse to respond to my actual question which was "Is there actually a reason why you think 150PPI does not suffice for the ereader's purpose? Are you having trouble reading the text?".

You just brainlessly want sharper, sharper, sharper for the sharper's sake. Which is of course your god-given right to want, but...

Quote:
If you don't see the benefit, then stay with the m92, no one is going to force you to upgrade. But for me, I would like a sharper screen and I am willing to paid for that feature.
...as you may have noticed, or may not have, Onyx doesn't produce readers specfically only for you. So if you make a proposal for a future product, you ought to remain considerate of what makes sense for the future product.

In my country, money doesn't happen to grow on trees. Perhaps you have a better climate for those or mummy and daddy don't miss a chance to spoil their child, I don't know.

However, since the majority of countries doesn't have those trees, most people (including me) prefer to not bloat a device with features beyond its purpose.

Quote:
150ppi screen on the m92 is blurry especially consider how close and personally the ereader is. For example just look an the boot up screen and see how blurry the picture is.
The M92 has never struck me as particularly blurry. Perhaps it's time you go see a ophthalmologist? Or is it that you have such incredibly good eyes that you notice every single pixel at a normal reading distance?

As far as I am concerned, the resolution is entirely sufficient as long as don't try to read 2mm large indices with a magnifying glass.

Quote:
There is 8 core phone with 1080p screen at 450ppi and plethora of cheap tablets on the market with beautiful and sharp screens with good processor.
Ah, lovely. I was just wondering how long it will take until you suggest "more cores!", "more memory!!", "more ports and connectors!!!"...

You know what? Perhaps you should get a $3000, 32-core, 700W desktop workstation with a HD-Screen...

I, however, would like to stick with a good battery-lifetime, a light device, and exactly those features which are required of a device which displays texts. And I would like to have upgrades which make sense for that purpose.

Last edited by ManDay; 04-21-2013 at 03:51 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
FinancialWar
Banned

^ argument coming from a guy who thinks money grow on trees.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
kontrabas
kontrabas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, Asus EEENote
The new Kobo Aura HD has (compared to other E-Readers) a sharper screen (265pp). Still not the 600pp of a book, but heading that way. However, I do not think that it has the annotation capabilities of the M92 and it also sports a smaller (7inch) screen.
However, it does have a rudimentary annotation function (keyboard annotation) and highlight function, and has greatly improved the zoom (the pan function on the Kobo always was excellent), so for readers of highly technical documents it - but for the smaller screen - might be worth a try.
What do you think? Is the Aura any viable option for the academic reader?
kontrabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Mono
Mono

I know that one may have 8 coces, lots of memory, etc. Besides it is more costly it also consumes much more energy. So, my question is. Are you going to pay the price of one fourth to one sixteenth of battery life for 300/600 dpi?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
fatran
fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrabas View Post
... Is the Aura any viable option for the academic reader?
I wouldn't go to the display smaller than 9inch. M92's 9.7" is minimum for academic reading of fixed layout or scanned texts. You can read comfortably from 2x larger display at half ppi, but I doubt you will enjoy similar comfort at half size and double ppi.

The next, you must ask, what does your reader better than the laptop. If it is another power-hungry device heating in your palms, why not to stay with laptop? Anyway, I am sick of all devices, that need to be charged, when I need to use them.

And the second question is support of e-book reading. I was surprised, that expensive ipad4 doesn't have one universal sw reader for usual formats (pdf, djvu, epub ...) and you must search and buy additional sw (anyway I didn't find djvu reader). It is just universal brick for everything and nothing.
fatran is offline   Reply With Quote