Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-14-2020, 01:25 AM   #1
musil
musil began at the beginning.

Device: none
Recommendations for apolitical books

hi everyone, im laurent.
would someone here be so kind to recommend me a list of worthy non-left winged 21st century authors and books? i find ethnicity, oppression and such social issues completely uniteresting, so i feel quite saturated by the current all-politicizing woke rhetoric. when i read a book i want to taste its poetic figures, the colour of its prose, its peculiar atmosphere, its views on the whole world (and not just on social justice/equality).
i think, for instance, that sebald's success is 90% due to his obsessive treatment of the holocaust. i love bolaño who is left winged but doesn't shove humanitarianism etc into your throat as if you were a child.
thanks.

Last edited by musil; 07-14-2020 at 01:30 AM.
musil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by musil View Post
hi everyone, im laurent.
Sounds like you want an escapism book far from current events and politics.

Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"

William Goldman's "The Princess Bride"

Andy Weir's "The Martian"

Jean Auel's "The Valley of Horses"

AFAIK, these are all non-problematic authors.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2020, 02:25 AM   #3
musil

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Sounds like you want an escapism book far from current events and politics.

Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"

William Goldman's "The Princess Bride"

Andy Weir's "The Martian"

Jean Auel's "The Valley of Horses"

AFAIK, these are all non-problematic authors.
i don't know if this list is meant to be ironic, in case it isn't , thank you, but im talking about serious books (bolaño's or even sebald's level) , not love stories.
about my escapism, if you call being repulsed by the woke cult due to its low literary quality, poverty of thought and repetition of the usual 4 commonplaces, well, im a bad escapist, since i could just skip everything written in the last 30 years.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Quote:
hi everyone, im laurent.
would someone here be so kind to recommend me a list of worthy non-left winged 21st century authors and books?
Michel Houellebecq, Zakhar Prilepin, Andreï Makine, Victor Pelevin...
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
musil

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
Michel Houellebecq, Zakhar Prilepin, Andreï Makine, Victor Pelevin...
i already knew makine and i appreciate him. houellebecq is famous, but not my cup of tea. pelevin seems interesting, im not found of oriental philosophies/mysticism but he really seems an actual wrtiter, which is pretty rare.
thanks.
Advert
Old 07-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
musil

Quote:
i already knew makine and i appreciate him. houellebecq is famous, but not my cup of tea. pelevin seems interesting, im not found of oriental philosophies/mysticism but he really seems an actual wrtiter, which is pretty rare.
thanks.
*fond of
Old 07-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you read fantasy? Those seem fairly apolitical. They're also more likely to have characters that I feel connected to/care about. But I wouldn't call them "serious" books; they're pretty much mindless escapism, which is what I like.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
musil

does anyone here read ellroy?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
i don't know if this list is meant to be ironic, in case it isn't , thank you, but im talking about serious books (bolaño's or even sebald's level) , not love stories.
Sorry, I didn't know what you were looking for, and just suggested things that I like myself that don't have any mention of politics that I can remember. 95% of the books I read are for pure pleasure. Good, fun stories that take me to a different place, a different time, where I can experience things in my imagination that I can't in real life. I've never heard of bolaño and sebald. That could be the name of a restaurant, or a pair of authors, for all I know. Black, white ... male, female ... controversial, universally admired - I would have no clue about these two.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #10
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll. How 75 cents led to a global investigation and hunt for spies.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote