Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks. So regardless of charging/not-charging strategies, it seems to me that stock, 3G-only Kindles (DX included) are probably about to be vanishingly rare (if they're not already).
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Amazon does have stock of 3G Kindles, I cannot see Amazon selling them because 3G won't work next year sometime.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I meant "stock" as in unmodified. Like "stock car racing" used to be? I wasn't implying that anyone had a stockpile of 3G Kindles somewhere, I was excluding devices that had been opened and had had their original batteries replaced.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Amazon does have stock of 3G Kindles, I cannot see Amazon selling them because 3G won't work next year sometime.
In some areas and some operators. Some places have mentioned turning off GSM-2G, but not 3G HSPA.

However it's unlikely they have any left that still work unless they replace the lithium cell.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #20
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Verizon has postponed their 3g shutdown 3 times; this last(?) time is that 3g shuts down end of 2021 or 2/2022. Verizon had also stopped activating new 3g devices around 2 years ago as well as killing prepaid plans which are mostly 3g flip phones. I also found that their 3g infrastructure is being disabled as my last 2 connections for my pacemaker were terrible: a very long time to connect & had to double send the data which had never happened before.

Did read that the postponments were also due to trucker companies using 3g phones to connect with their drivers & some applications use 3g for temperature control for the various types of storages like freezers. Medical equipment is not the main issue. Notifications had been sent out long ago but some people are waiting to have 4g devices connect to their win xp?

I did get an adapter kit to have my pacemaker monitor wired connect my lan; faster reading & sending of data & more reliable. Medtronics also have mobile apps to collect data via bluetooth & then send the data to via the lan; problem is the statement to have the mobile device within 3 feet of the pacemaker at all times.

edit: don't think any kindle can active the 3g with Verizon & perhaps other companies like AT&T or T-Mobile.

Last edited by crane3; 06-11-2021 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added info
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I think Kindles need WiFi to register the first time, even the ones with cellular connectivity.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote