Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1977 View Post
Thanks again for your help.

I am trying to improve my workflow in Calibre.

* I have epub2 files that I like to convert to epub3 and also to embed metadata. Do I first use convert from toolbar and then the poilish books plugin (update metadata in the book files)
Quote:
Polish works on any existing. Convert uses the current LIBRARY metadata.
So no need to run polish on a fresh conversion.
Quote:
* Do I need the opf file if I embed the metadata? If not necessarily, how can I stop Calibre from creating it?
That is the backup (along with the cover image) of what shows in the GUI and is there to recover from corruption. It is a tint tiny file, whats the big worry. multi-TB HD's are cheap
Quote:
* Do I need to keep the "original_epub" file? Do I need to keep multiple formats per ebook? Can I set up Calibre to delete pdf or epub2 after converting?
NO as long as you don't ever want to go back. Preferences: Tweaks: # Save original file when converting/polishing from same format to same format

Quote:
Thanks again for the helpful on this forum. Really great!

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-22-2021 at 06:30 PM. Reason: tint to tiny, first thought was lint
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #32
steve1977
steve1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Thanks for your note. My issue with the opf file is that it takes effort to keep it in sync with the embedded metadata. So, it creates complexity.

For example, I convert from epub2 to epub3. The embedded metadata shows the format version to be 3.0 (as it is now an epiub3), but the opf file still says 2.0. I don't even know how to update it as even running "polish" to embed the metadata does not seem to effect the opf file.
steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for your note. My issue with the opf file is that it takes effort to keep it in sync with the embedded metadata. So, it creates complexity.

For example, I convert from epub2 to epub3. The embedded metadata shows the format version to be 3.0 (as it is now an epiub3), but the opf file still says 2.0. I don't even know how to update it as even running "polish" to embed the metadata does not seem to effect the opf file.
The OPF file in the library is used by calibre. Any changes to the metadata through calibre will update this. Don't worry about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #34
steve1977
steve1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The OPF file in the library is used by calibre. Any changes to the metadata through calibre will update this. Don't worry about it.
Not fully. When I convert an epub from epub2 to epub3 (with Calibre), the embedded metadata is changed, but the opf file in the book folder is not changed.
steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Not fully. When I convert an epub from epub2 to epub3 (with Calibre), the embedded metadata is changed, but the opf file in the book folder is not changed.
The OPF file in the folder has no real connection to the OPF in the epub. It is created by calibre as a record of the metadata. It exists even if you only had an AZW3 or MOBI. Or no format at all.

Stop worrying about. Calibre maintains it as it is a file that calibre uses. If you have another use for it, then you need to accept that calibre will update it when calibre needs to update it. If you remove it, calibre will recreate it. If you change it, calibre will rewrite it. Neither of those might happen immediately, but, they will happen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
BECAUSE THAT ONE is about Calibre, not the book itself. Calibre does NOT embed that FILE, just most of the data (and that comes direct from the DB as the OPF can lag on large (library) updates. The refresh is queued for performance, Right click the Library Icon: Library Maintenance: Check ... Backup status
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder if the metadata.opf file in the book folders could renamed to something like bookdata.backup. In a calibre release of course -- version 6.0 maybe

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote