Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 04:43 AM   #1
Mamukox20
Mamukox20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I’m having problems with AZW3

Hi everyone! Basically, I’m trying to convert from ePUB to AZW3 with Calibre, and everything’s okay until I go to my kindle to read the book. Essentially, I’m unable to read the book in the Atkinson Hyperlegible font. There’s no problem with reading it in other fonts, just this one which happens to be my favorite. Can this issue be solved?
Mamukox20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamukox20 View Post
Hi everyone! Basically, I’m trying to convert from ePUB to AZW3 with Calibre, and everything’s okay until I go to my kindle to read the book. Essentially, I’m unable to read the book in the Atkinson Hyperlegible font. There’s no problem with reading it in other fonts, just this one which happens to be my favorite. Can this issue be solved?
I removed the -102 from the font filenames and I've put it on my PW3 and it works fine with a Calibre generated KF8 (AZW3) eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Don't convert to AZW3. Just upload the epub to the KDP platform. I've been doing this for nine years and have never have a hiccup.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
epub is the preferred upload format for Amazon KDP.
Works better than docx, doc, mobi or azw3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
epub is the preferred upload format for Amazon KDP.
Works better than docx, doc, mobi or azw3.
Does ePub sent to KDP work better then using the official Amazon software for converting to a dual-Mobi and sending the dual-Mobi?
Old 06-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does ePub sent to KDP work better then using the official Amazon software for converting to a dual-Mobi and sending the dual-Mobi?
As far as I know there should be no difference in the resulting Kindle e-book between uploading an EPUB or uploading a Master MOBI created from an EPUB using Kindle Previewer 3. A Master MOBI includes the original EPUB and Amazon will extract and use that.

Starting June 28 MOBI format will no longer be accepted by Amazon for publishing of reflowable e-books so it is probably best to get used to sending EPUB now. (Apparently MOBI will still be accepted for fixed-layout comics and children's books.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The Amazon tool doesn't create an ordinary dual mobi that is KF7 & KF8 to suit unknown Kindle eink, like Calibre can do. It's got an epub too.

So, no, the Official Amazon software is not better. Also if you use anything other than epub with an Amazon tool the results are poorer than properly crafted docx (with styles) via Calibre to epub. Certainly worse than any specially crafted CSS/HTML edited in Sigil or Calibre editor.

I looked at all the Amazon offerings and for actual novels all were inferior to LO Writer, extra SaveAs docx and even untweaked Calibre docx->epub2.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #8
Mamukox20
Mamukox20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I removed the -102 from the font filenames and I've put it on my PW3 and it works fine with a Calibre generated KF8 (AZW3) eBook.
This resolved the issue! Thank you so much!
Mamukox20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamukox20 View Post
This resolved the issue! Thank you so much!
Happy to help.Someone really should tell them about this so they can fix the filenames on their end.

Tags
calibre, font, problem