Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
I've Got Prime. Now What Do I Do With It?

This is the Prime trial that is the subject of my thread below: "Get Prime Whether You Want It or Not."

I had a full year of Prime about 5 or 6 years ago, but I remember little about it except that I got a lot of packages in a very quick manner. Anyway, Prime has changed a lot, it seems, since then.

_As far as ebooks and possibly audiobooks are concerned_ now, what are the perks of having Prime, that _you_ have found especially worthwhile, that I should latch on to in the short time that I have left as a Prime member?

Let me go ahead and eliminate Kindle Unlimited--I want to own my books, not borrow them.

Just a phrase or short sentence for each point will probably suffice.

Thanks.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Kindle First Reads for November

Check out the Kindle First topic in this forum. That's about the only Prime benefit you get for books. Nothing for Audible.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Prime Reading is a borrowing perk, you can borrow up to 10 books at any one time, from a smaller subset of books than Kindle Unlimited. Some magazines are included, as well as books that have audible narrations.

It's about 1,000 books and magazines:

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/bookshelf/prime

Last edited by Deskisamess; 11-09-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Kindle First Reads for November

Check out the Kindle First topic in this forum. That's about the only Prime benefit you get for books. Nothing for Audible.
Checking it. I have rarely even seen it even mentioned, so thanks.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
there are many free books on Amazon - pretty much pick your category, then go to "best sellers" and there will be a listing for the top 100 paid and top 100 free books. (not a benefit of Prime, just a perk of Amazon - Prime really just has the kindle first thing and the lending library for books - the main benefits of prime are things like shipping, prime video/audio, etc.)
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #6
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks to all of you who commented. I actually wrote a "thank you" to the first respondent, booklover6, but I must have failed to save it.

Yeah, I can see now that there's not much benefit to having Prime, as far as books and magazines go.

One thing that I kept seeing mentioned, that apparently pertains/pertained to Amazon books is something called "Prime Now". However, I couldn't find out anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 11-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #7
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
_As far as ebooks and possibly audiobooks are concerned_ now, what are the perks of having Prime, that _you_ have found especially worthwhile, that I should latch on to in the short time that I have left as a Prime member?
Have you availed yourself of Prime Video to watch screen adaptations of books? Of Prime Music to listen to music while reading? Or of the discounts Amazon regularly offers (often 25%, if one pays using at least one AMEX, Chase, Citi, or Discover point) on goods, services, and gift cards, which book-lovers might use to purchase books, reading/listening/watching-related wares, and creature comforts to enhance the reading experience?

ASIDE: Am I alone in thinking this is more a "General Discussions" than "Deals and Resources" thread?

Last edited by Froide; 11-10-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:59 AM   #8
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
One thing that I kept seeing mentioned, that apparently pertains/pertained to Amazon books is something called "Prime Now".
As far as I know, "Prime Now" is a geographically limited service for rapid delivery (one or two hours) of some products (including food) in selected metro areas. It and "Same-Day" delivery are not available to me. I feel lucky to get next day or two-day delivery on many items.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Now

I keep Prime for free shipping since I live in an area where local stores don't stock many of the things I buy. Books through "Prime Reading" or "Amazon First Reads" are a bonus, but not the reason I subscribe to Prime. Unfortunately I can't take advantage of video streaming because my Internet connection won't support streaming speeds and upgrade options are not currently available.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
About Prime Now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201687630

Amazon does have all the perks of Prime in one place:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...3387606&sr=1-1
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
What discounts with point use ??? I thought I was pretty up on Prime, but haven't heard of this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
{edit}

Or of the discounts Amazon regularly offers (often 25%, if one pays using at least one AMEX, Chase, Citi, or Discover point) on goods, services, and gift cards, which book-lovers might use to purchase books, reading/listening/watching-related wares, and creature comforts to enhance the reading experience?

{edit}
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
What discounts with point use ??? I thought I was pretty up on Prime, but haven't heard of this one...
DoctorofCredit is one of my preferred sites that posts such deals (in addition to many other types of deals, as well as finance/points/miles developments). You can scroll through this page to view the most recent Amazon deals posted by DOC, and use the arrows at the bottom of the page to see older deals.

Last edited by Froide; 11-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #12
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
<snip>
ASIDE: Am I alone in thinking this is a more a "General Discussions" than "Deals and Resources" thread?
I understand you to be asking (rhetorically) about whether or not this _topic_ is more suited for the "General Discussions" thread than it is for the "Deals and Resources" thread.

My interest in, and inquiries about, Prime was _for the possible savings on ebooks and audiobooks_, as I wrote in posts on the "Ebooks > Deals & Resources" thread, and emphasized with underlining (such "underlining" as I know how to do, with this smartphone (that I'm having to use until I can get my real computer repaired (I apologize, once again, for the unsightliness of the formatting. I know, it looks soooo 1980's. ha))), at least twice. That is my only interest in Prime!

I was not engaging in some kind of ruse in order to get people to talk about Prime, in general, in that subforum on that thread! My chances of getting general information about Prime, would be much better on this thread, or maybe any number of other subforum/threads, than it possibly could have been on a thread about cheaper ways to get ebooks and audiobooks! Right?

I asked about "Prime Now" solely out of ignorance. I did some research, myself, about it after my post, and prior to checking MobileRead for today, and found out from a third party or two that it is about a fresh food delivery service, or something like that. Since it has nothing to do with deals on ebooks and audiobooks, I'm not interested (I'm one-dimensional, I know. ha).

So, no, Froide, you are not alone--if I saw things the way that you did, I for one, would be aware of it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-10-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
In both quick reply and advanced there should be several symbols above the text field

The formatting ones are:
B for Bold
I for italics
U for underline

You can also use [ *] removing the leading space and substituting the letter for the * then the text you want followed by [ /*] again removing the space and substituting the letter for the *.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
In both quick reply and advanced there should be several symbols above the text field

The formatting ones are:
B for Bold
I for italics
U for underline

You can also use [ *] removing the leading space and substituting the letter for the * then the text you want followed by [ /*] again removing the space and substituting the letter for the *.
Thanks so much.

Maybe there is a help file that covers it; I didn't know where else even to look (what on earth would a person use as search terms???), but I kept thinking that "any day now I'll get the parts that I need . . . ."

I've missed my laptop. When it's fixed, I'm going to give it a great, big hug.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-10-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got Prime when it was first offered for the free shipping. I live in a rural area and I don't have a car. It's been great for me. I buy nearly everything from them except food.

There are a number of services added since then, such as Prime Video, which I enjoy. I don't have a TV.

And there are unspoken benefits. I bought something for $100 from Amazon last week. I didn't like it so I arranged to return it for a refund. Because I have Prime UPS will pick it up at my door and I don't have to pay return shipping. So it's not just free shipping, it's worry free shipping as well.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote