Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Beetle Bailey Cartoonist Mort Walker Died

He was 94 and a WWII Veteran.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.62fdc6cd5818
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I just saw that. I read a lot of Beetle Bailey comic books when I was a kid -- one of my grandmothers was a big fan.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I just saw that. I read a lot of Beetle Bailey comic books when I was a kid -- one of my grandmothers was a big fan.
I used to read Beetle Bailey and Hi & Lois every day. I guess Hi & Lois was a Beetle Bailey "spinoff" – Lois was supposed to be Beetle's sister (I didn't know that – or remember it – until looked it up on Wikipedia).

May Mort Walker rest in peace.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-28-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Beetle, Sargent Snorkel and his dog Otto. One of my favorites for years. I never knew that Hi & Lois was a spin off, though when I think of it, the teenage son was drawn a lot like Beetle Bailey.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Beetle, Sargent Snorkel and his dog Otto. One of my favorites for years. I never knew that Hi & Lois was a spin off, though when I think of it, the teenage son was drawn a lot like Beetle Bailey.
I guess, again reading from Wikipedia, that co-creator Dik Browne (who also created Hagar the Horrible) was the one who drew Hi & Lois, Mort Walker wrote it (until his death). Mort Walker's kids still write it, and Chance Browne (Dik Browne's son) still draws it. Apparently Greg Walter (Mort's son) is credited with Beetle Bailey, but his brothers (and others) are also involved. I probably haven't read a Beetle Bailey or Hi & Lois or Hagar the Horrible in years.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here's to the creator of one of the great cartons (and one of my favorites), Beetle Bailey
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
There was also an animated version of Beetle Bailey back in the early 60's.

Quote:
A TV version of the strip, consisting of 50 six-minute animated cartoon shorts produced by King Features Syndicate, was animated by Paramount Cartoon Studios in the USA and Artransa Film Studios in Sydney, Australia, and was first broadcast in 1963. The opening credits included the sound of a bugle reveille, followed by a theme song specifically composed for the cartoon:
You can find all 50 episodes on YouTube, including the unaired 1989 TV special.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
They should put a memorial in Arlington for the author and his characters.

Bill Mauldin was the greatest cartoonist for War and won 2 Pulitzer prices. He began his work in the service.
I read them as a kid, and later in life bought one of his books on the immortal grunts "Willie and Joe."
Bill was buried in Arlington in 2003.
In 2010 he was granted a place on an US Stamp along with Willie and Joe. First Class of course, though Willie and Joe probably never got that rank.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There was also an animated version of Beetle Bailey back in the early 60's.

You can find all 50 episodes on YouTube, including the unaired 1989 TV special.

I used to watch those every afternoon on a local show called the Popeye Club with Officer Don when I was a kid.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I used to watch those every afternoon on a local show called the Popeye Club with Officer Don when I was a kid.
You must be from Atlanta. Officer Don was on the local TV. I use to watch the Popeye Club with Officer Don as well, though I don't remember seeing the Beatle Bailey cartoons.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I may be mixing it with other cartoons they showed after school. I do remember them playing Snuffy Smith cartoons. Remember the ooey-gooey bag?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I may be mixing it with other cartoons they showed after school. I do remember them playing Snuffy Smith cartoons. Remember the ooey-gooey bag?
Absolutely. the ooey-gooey bag was the best part of the show!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use Beetle Baily as a expectation guide for when I went into the Navy (San Diego boot camp). I was not led astray
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use Beetle Baily as a expectation guide for when I went into the Navy (San Diego boot camp). I was not led astray
So in that sense, Dilbert is the Beetle Bailey for those starting a career in cubicle farm work.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote