Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Kindle 8th generation first charge

I have bought a kindle 8th generation and I plugged it into my USB and started using it immediately. I didn't wait until it was fully charged. Then I left it to finish charging and when the light was green I unplugged it and the battery was on 99%. It's been 24 hours and it's now on 88%. Was the battery damaged anyhow? Is it normal or is it draining too fast? Thanks in advance.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
RhD97
Connoisseur

I connected it to a Wifi network for some time to download sample books and left it on for a while
Advert
Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's fine. When you add new books, it indexes the books. This takes a lot of power.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
RhD97
Connoisseur

So I havent damaged the battery by not letting it fully change before using it? oh I forgot to mention that I have read a lot on it since then.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's fine. Don't forget that the "weeks on a single charge" assume 30mins reading per day:

"A single charge lasts up to four weeks, based on half an hour of reading per day with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
RhD97
Connoisseur

Thanks, you have put my mind at ease aha
Old 02-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I have bought a kindle 8th generation and I plugged it into my USB and started using it immediately. I didn't wait until it was fully charged. Then I left it to finish charging and when the light was green I unplugged it and the battery was on 99%. It's been 24 hours and it's now on 88%. Was the battery damaged anyhow? Is it normal or is it draining too fast? Thanks in advance.
The light turns green before the charge is 100%. The light is letting you know that the battery is close to full. It's a little easier on the battery to stop charging it before it hits 100%.

100% is an arbitrary point and the battery is not really full at 100%, but beyond that the battery life will be reduced, and far enough beyond the battery can explode. The 100% point is selected as a compromise between as full as possible and as full as safe.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
100% is an arbitrary point and the battery is not really full at 100%, but beyond that the battery life will be reduced, and far enough beyond the battery can explode. The 100% point is selected as a compromise between as full as possible and as full as safe.
To make this even more pointlessly complex, the percentage shown on the Kindle battery bar is, ah, not actually an accurate representation of how full the battery actually is. Judging by the way the percentage counter sometimes stalls without moving, I would guess that the battery actually finishes charging at about "120%" (but the indicator is capped at 100%) and the Kindle powers down for lack of power at about "-20%" (but the indicator is, obviously, capped at 0%).

A clearer way of putting this might be to say that when the indicator says 99%, the battery is actually at more like 80% of safe capacity: when it says 0%, it's at about 20%. Ish.

(Battery circuits these days are very safe: it is almost impossible to damage a lithium-ion battery unless you do something like stick it in the oven or the microwave or stab things into it, so don't do that. Merely using it as designed, charging and discharging it, is not going to do it any harm, though if you discharge it all the way and then leave it that way for about a year, you may find there is not enough power to run the battery circuit and you need to leave it on charge for a *long* time, a week or more, before it picks up enough charge to come back to life again.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote