Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
The "Rick Roll" Game

Recently I posted a Rick Roll in another thread in the form of a phrase where the first letter of each word in the phrase spelled out "Never Gonna Give You Up." Based on that, I thought it could inspire a game where the fun would be in figuring out the Rick Roll.

The Rules:

- An individual posts a Rick Roll in the form of the phrase "Never Gonna Give You Up" but the phrase is hidden.

- If the poster choose, he/she can post a clue to assist people in figuring out the Rick Roll but it is not required.

- The person who figures out how the Rick Roll is hidden gets to post another hidden Rick Roll.

- The person whose Rick Roll phrase hasn't been figured out for 5 full days will be the winner.

The first Rick Roll:

G8 S7 L3 S7 T4 G1 L2 T8 G8 M5 G1 G2 L3 P5 L5 P3 T3 T3 S4

The clue: Lost (but not that TV series).

I hope you enjoy it.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 AM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I think you might win with the first go

Looking at this, I got quite excited when I saw that counting on 8 from G (as in the first G8) give you "N", but it's not a theory that holds true for any of the other letters. Also, although the two Us both seem to be represented by T3, there doesn't seem to be that consistency in the other letters, e.g. N seems to be represented by G8 (twice) and T8

The "Lost" clue means nothing to me! I'm stumped I'm afraid

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 01-23-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I will have to give another clue...

They ended up on a planet.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 AM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lost in Space??

To be honest, even if that's right I can't see how it helps me (I think this game might be for people with considerably more skill in this kind of thing than I have).
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Another clue...

Their common name is generally not the same as their given name.
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Okay...one more clue...I think this one might give it away...

Jerry Van Dyke was going to play one of the characters...but he passed on it for My Mother The Car.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Given I've never heard of either Jerry Van Dyke or My Mother the Car, that seems unlikely

We need some Americans in the thread I think.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 01-26-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Well, the first round is over. The letter refers to the name of a character on Gilligan's Island and the number refers to a specific letter in the character's name. Here is the solution (see below):

G8 = Gilligan
S7 = Skipper
L3 = Lovey Howell
S6 = Skipper*
T4 = Thurston Howell III

G1 = Gilligan or Ginger Grant
L2 = Lovey Howell
T8 = Thurston Howell III
G10 = Ginger Grant*
M5 = Mary Ann

G1 = Gilligan or Ginger Grant
G2 = Gilligan or Ginger Grant
L3 = Lovey Howell
P5 = Professor

L5 = Lovey Howell
P3 = Professor
T3 = Thurston Howell III

T3 = Thurston Howell III
S4 = Skipper

*I discovered that I got the numbering for these items wrong in the original post. Due to this, it would have been very difficult to solve the Rick Roll. I apologize for the error.

Concerning the clues:
- The castaways were lost on an island.
- In the animated series Gilligan's Planet the Castaways build a ship and end up shipwrecked on another planet.
- Most of the characters have actual names that are rarely mentioned on the show. As an example, The Skipper's real name is Jonas Grumby and The Professor was Roy Hinkley but as far as I know they were only mentioned in one episode.
- Jerry Van Dyke was offered the role of Gilligan, but he passed on it for the lead in the TV series My Mother The Car.

I will soon post another Rick Roll (and get it right this time).
Old 01-29-2019, 12:22 AM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post

*I discovered that I got the numbering for these items wrong in the original post. Due to this, it would have been very difficult to solve the Rick Roll. I apologize for the error.
Well, sure! That was my problem!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

The new Rick Roll:

11 63 23 99 44 64 08 07 10 79 31 77 23 68 39 76 92 92 15

The Clue - this song (in a roundabout way):

I checked carefully to make sure this Rick Roll is correct.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Well, sure! That was my problem!
Of course, never having heard of Gilligan's Island didn't help me either
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Of course, never having heard of Gilligan's Island didn't help me either
That was a mistake on my part. I thought that everyone knew about Gilligan's Island.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Never heard of or saw the Animated GI. I admit to this type of puzzle making me feel very stoopid.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Never heard of or saw the Animated GI. I admit to this type of puzzle making me feel very stoopid.
There were two animated Gilligan's Island animated shows, The New Adventures Of Gilligan's Island (which was just a continuation of the live-action TV series) and Gilligan's Planet (basically the same show, just set on a different planet after the castaways build a spaceship and crash there). In both cases, almost the entire cast from the TV series voiced their characters (I checked Wikipedia and Jane Webb voiced both Ginger and Mary Ann in the first animated series, and Dawn Wells voiced both Ginger and Mary Ann in the second animated series).

It was during a time when there were many animated versions of live-action TV shows. Among them were: My Favorite Martians, Star Trek (now commonly referred to as Star Trek - The Animated Series), I Dream Of Jeannie, The Brady Kids, The Oddball Couple, and The Barkleys (based on All In The Family).
Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
That was a mistake on my part. I thought that everyone knew about Gilligan's Island.
No problem . It's next to impossible to set a quiz for an international audience.