Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Amazon Echo vs Google Home vs Another Option

I love this forum and how you get really good help when it comes down to working out just what e-reader would work best for you. Is there a forum out there that could help me work out which of these smart speaker would work best for me. So any suggestions on a like-minded forum.

thank you
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
There are two threads in the Lounge dealing with these devices:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
The main thing that turns me off of anything related to, designed by, or sold by Google is their long history of not caring about the security of their customers information. Google would sell its own momma's data to the highest builder. It's all about the money, and customers are treated like data mines wherein Google can get wealthier. I'm sure they make great hardware, but I simply don't trust them when it comes to cyber security.

Just my two cents...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I have MS and am looking for one that can do these things.

A shopping list I can add and remove items to then ask it to print to our printer A diary I can make notes to, and again be able to print.
A to do list that I can set multiple reminders to ie 6pm Tuesday put the bins out ie 6pm you have a doctors appointment at 1pm tommorrow, a reminder at 9am on the day of the doctors appointment then again at noon of the doctors appointment.
Basically multiple reminders a count down reminder ie cooking It would be amazing to ask for a word definition ask the time/weather

Old 11-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've got Alexa devices and a Google Home device. My short take on it is that Alexa is far better at tasks; Google doesn't have nearly the functionality. Google on the other hand knows more.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
applesauce
Addict

So it is like a husband and wife

thank you both for the insight and laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've got Alexa devices and a Google Home device. My short take on it is that Alexa is far better at tasks; Google doesn't have nearly the functionality. Google on the other hand knows more.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I just recently went with Alexa.

Lots of reasons, but one very important one is that you can rename Alexa. I can see myself talking to Alexa or Echo or Computer. But "OK Google" all the time, no thanks. ("Amazon" as a wake word is even worse.)

I'm going to name mine "computer" once I set it up, just for the Star Trek vibe.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Lots of reasons, but one very important one is that you can rename Alexa. I can see myself talking to Alexa or Echo or Computer. But "OK Google" all the time, no thanks. ("Amazon" as a wake word is even worse.)

I'm going to name mine "computer" once I set it up, just for the Star Trek vibe.
Whatever was Google thinking when they named their virtual assistant "OK Google"? What a stupid name! These assistants need to have shorty, catchy names that are memorable.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I just recently went with Alexa.

"OK Google" is horrible. It's like gargling. "Hey Google" is somewhat easier to get out and also works, but it's not nearly as smooth as "Alexa" or "Siri."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Oh, and Google strikes out again by naming their virtual assistant device - Home. What another stupid name! When talking about computers and technology, when someone says Echo, everyone automatically knows they're talking about Amazon's virtual assistant device.

Not so with Home. Are they talking about the home page or smart home technology? Who would ever guess they're referring to Google's virtual assistant device?

OK, let's get with the program, Google!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oh, and Google strikes out again by naming their virtual assistant device - Home. What another stupid name! When talking about computers and technology, when someone says Echo, everyone automatically knows they're talking about Amazon's virtual assistant device.

Not so with Home. Are they talking about the home page or smart home technology? Who would ever guess they're referring to Google's virtual assistant device?

OK, let's get with the program, Google!
You expected better from the company that named their cloud storage "drive", their spreadsheet "sheets", their photo app "photos", their word processor "docs", etc. ?

Last edited by Alohamora; 12-05-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
"OK Google" is horrible. It's like gargling. "Hey Google" is somewhat easier to get out and also works, but it's not nearly as smooth as "Alexa" or "Siri."

I don't (and won't) have automated home devices, but on my phone I very much LIKE the awkward artificiality of "OK Google" as a wake up phrase. It makes it very clear that it's a deliberate, conscious choice - no chance of accidentally triggering it by using someone's name or by having one's pronunciation of a word like "silly" parsed incorrectly. When I say "OK Google" it is because I actually want my phone to wake up. For me, it's a very smart move on Google's part
Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Agreed, that's why when I'm using my phone I invariably use "OK Google", but when I want to turn off the lights or add something to the shopping list or play music it's "Alexa"

'sides that Google is smarter than Alexa, I just wish Duckduckgo had a virtual assistant.

Oh... and Bixby is just a PITA!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote