Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
nas_matko
nas_matko began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Embeding font into LRF

My understanding is, that if you need to display some nonstandard (read non english)characters in your ebook you need to embed font containing those characters into LRF file.

So I selected appropriate font in look&feel dialog, resulting lrf is larger by 1 MB or so as compared with nonembeded version but PRS-505 is still not displaying those character correctly. There are spaces insted od those characters.

If I convert the same text into PDF with embeded font (the same I embeded into lrf) everything looks fine.

Is there something I am missing in converting text into lrf?
BTW source text is plain txt document, no formatting.

Thank you for your help.
nas_matko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
You also need to specify the font in the book itself.

In the overide CSS box put something like this:

Code:
body     {font-family: fontname, generic family;}
Where fontname is the Exact name of the font (surround it in double quotes if it contains spaces), and generic family is the corresponding generic family the font belongs to (eg: Serif).
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
nas_matko

Thanks for fast response.

I have added into override CSS this
Code:
body {font-family: "Times New Roman", Serif;}
but it still doesn't work
Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You would be best to convert to ePub as font embedding works quite well and is a lot easier and faster then LRF. See the linked thread for more info on how to do this properly.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think Kovid has posted a few times that embedding fonts in LRFs is rather hit-or-miss.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think Kovid has posted a few times that embedding fonts in LRFs is rather hit-or-miss.
I've tried embedding some fonts in LRF and instead of getting the regular font, it came out all italic.

Also, it's slower in LRF to have embedded fonts. ePub is faster to embedded fonts. In fact, you don't get a slowdown in ePub where you can and sometimes do in LRF.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I was never able to make font embedding in epub work on my prs-505. It is just ignored.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
nas_matko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You would be best to convert to ePub as font embedding works quite well and is a lot easier and faster then LRF. See the linked thread for more info on how to do this properly.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361
I tried suggestions mentioned in that thread, created folder fonts, set overide css, exported to epub but again no success.

To be precise, I maanged to get different font on the screen, but encoding is still wrong.

Has enybody ever got positive results on Sony PRS-505?

Last edited by nas_matko; 06-15-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

The main problem is, in my opinion, that Adobe DE shipped with PRS-505 simply does not support handling of embedded fonts. What does work and I use it a lot in quite a few recipes is pointing to a fonts located in some folder on reader's internal memory. That of course means you are hard-coding your epub's to use fonts as they are on your reader, but at least it works, and it works well.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
The main problem is, in my opinion, that Adobe DE shipped with PRS-505 simply does not support handling of embedded fonts.
This is patently untrue. Check out this epub that uses embedded fonts and they display just fine.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This is patently untrue. Check out this epub that uses embedded fonts and they display just fine.
What would be the process to generate such book? I was trying to use calibre for that and it did not work.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
BTW, as I recall the topic that JS Wolf linked to, it is about installing fonts onto the reader, not about embedding them into the ebook file. To actually have them appear in a book you would have to change the CSS (I think) to make use of the newly installed fonts.

Several years ago you could not embed fonts created by a commercial font foundry which had copyright / DRM for a specific font face. I am not sure if this is still occurring. I mention this just in case you want to try using a font which you know does not have any usage restrictions.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@font-face {
..font-family: "Fontin";
..font-weight: normal;
..font-style: normal;
..src: url(fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf)
}
@font-face {
..font-weight: bold;
..font-style: normal;
..src: url(fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf)
}
@font-face {
..font-weight: normal;
..font-style: italic;
..src: url(fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf)
}

That is the CSS code to specify the fonts. Now to embed the fonts, create a directory called fonts in the same directory that has the CSS file.

Now to use the font, put in...

body {
..font-family: "Fontin", serif
}

and anyplace else it needs to go depending on the CSS.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have been converting a lot of Asian (Japanese and Chinese) into LRF recently without problem.
I assume you want to read those in Sony Reader and have run Font mapper to add in the right font.
When you convert the book make sure you set encoding to utf-8.

ePub on the other hand does not works well. I mainly use carblire with the css overwrite. Most of the time the layout in the final LRF book are all mess up
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by siulayhumga View Post
I have been converting a lot of Asian (Japanese and Chinese) into LRF recently without problem.
I assume you want to read those in Sony Reader and have run Font mapper to add in the right font.
When you convert the book make sure you set encoding to utf-8.

ePub on the other hand does not works well. I mainly use carblire with the css overwrite. Most of the time the layout in the final LRF book are all mess up
What is wrong with ePub? Is it because the default font does not display Japanese and Chinese? If that's the problem, just embed the fonts.