Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Admiralaqbar
Admiralaqbar began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Exclamation Kobo Arc VS. Nexus 7?

Hi everyone,

So i'm in a bit of a snag here trying to decide whether to purchase the Google Nexus 7 or the Kobo Arc. I've read reviews everywhere that they're almost pretty much the same, but I need to get more of a specific answer. I'm going to be mostly using it for reading, but i like the added touch of it being a tablet. My question is does the Nexus 7 have the same capabilities(reading and such) as the Kobo Arc or does the Kobo Arc take advantage of it there?
Admiralaqbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
They both use the same assortment of apps to read. The only differences are the higher specs on the Nexus 7 (quad-core CPU, which isn't actually much better than the dual-core in the Arc since most apps don't take advantage of extra cores - the Arc might actually perform better, in some cases. Bluetooth & NFC, a GPS and a few other extra sensors, probably better GPU). Due to the extra stuff in the Nexus 7, there will be more apps that can be installed directly from the Play Store (much of the stuff Play won't show for the Arc can be sideloaded, if you can find them elsewhere, however).

If you're in Canada and aren't buying it online, the Arc will be $39-40 cheaper for the same amount of onboard storage (at 16GB; haven't looked at the higher end prices lately). The difference goes down to $10 cheaper if you buy the Nexus 7 directly from Google Play ($199.99 for the Arc, $209 or $239 for the Nexus 7, depending on where you get it)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Admiralaqbar
Admiralaqbar began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
They both use the same assortment of apps to read. The only differences are the higher specs on the Nexus 7 (quad-core CPU, which isn't actually much better than the dual-core in the Arc since most apps don't take advantage of extra cores - the Arc might actually perform better, in some cases. Bluetooth & NFC, a GPS and a few other extra sensors, probably better GPU). Due to the extra stuff in the Nexus 7, there will be more apps that can be installed directly from the Play Store (much of the stuff Play won't show for the Arc can be sideloaded, if you can find them elsewhere, however).

If you're in Canada and aren't buying it online, the Arc will be $39-40 cheaper for the same amount of onboard storage (at 16GB; haven't looked at the higher end prices lately). The difference goes down to $10 cheaper if you buy the Nexus 7 directly from Google Play ($199.99 for the Arc, $209 or $239 for the Nexus 7, depending on where you get it)
Thank you!!! This helps me a lot more in choosing now and i am in canada! In terms of reading outside/inside, is the nexus better?
Admiralaqbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiralaqbar View Post
Thank you!!! This helps me a lot more in choosing now and i am in canada! In terms of reading outside/inside, is the nexus better?
Dunno on that one. I only have an Arc...
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
TalismanTwelve
TalismanTwelve began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I'm facing the same predicament OP. Having alot of difficulty finding an Arc, online or otherwise. I feel like I would prefer it over the Nexus for its greatur range of flexibility on the store front and its advertising as an E-Reader.
TalismanTwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Blintok57
Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 -32g - Kobo Aura
hello everyone. just started in with an ereader after thinking about them for a while.
A few weeks ago i got a kobo touch. from then i was quickly hooked on ereading and in the last few weeks have read as much as i did in the last year.

while i liked the touch my old eyes wanted something more. i thot of the glo but decided to look at the arc. In the same store they also had the Nexus 7 at just 20$ more than the arc (32gig) but in the end i decided the kobo had the edge if you like to eread. the kobo bookstore tilts it towards the arc/kobo readers.

so on friday i got the 16g kobo arc and enjoyed it alot. very happy with what it can do. but in hindsight i wished i had of got the 32gig. and that is what i did today. returned the 16g arc and bought the 32g arc.

its been a weekend of discovery finding out what the arc can do. from playing games to surfing the web to playing movies. the color screen is nice when looking at magazines.

so if you mostly wanting an ereader with some extras the kobo arc is the way to go.
Blintok57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok57 View Post
while i liked the touch my old eyes wanted something more. i thot of the glo but decided to look at the arc. In the same store they also had the Nexus 7 at just 20$ more than the arc (32gig) but in the end i decided the kobo had the edge if you like to eread. the kobo bookstore tilts it towards the arc/kobo readers.
A bit late now to point it out, but the Kobo store & app is available on all Android tablets, though on a lot of them you'd have to download from the app store rather than have it there for you the moment you opened the box...
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Nexus no question. Pure android, best specs. I suppose if you REALLY need to save that extra $40 then you could go with an Arc but I never would.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Blintok57
Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i still can return the arc and get the nexus 7. but looking at what both can do i still think the arc is better if i am mostly ereading. i even looked at the ipad mini - but it costs 2x what the arc does. As for the nexus 7, yes the 32g wifi version is $20 more than the 32g arc. but looking at features, both do same. looking at spec sheet of course the n7 "looks" better

the only feature i would consider changing for is cellular & wifi but it not worth $100 to $300 more (ipad mini wifi/cell is +300 more and 100 more for the n7) not including the extra cost for a data plan.

edit to add. not arguing. just trying to understand why you say the nexus is better. just from a features stand point (apps) i see no advantage the nexus has over the arc. maybe i am just not seeing it or missing something.

Last edited by Blintok57; 12-19-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Blintok57

well. you convinced me. i returned the kobo today and got the 32g Nexus 7. charging it up now.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Youbenicenow
Youbenicenow began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc
Kobo Arc works for me

Good day. My wife has the Nexus 7 and I have the Kobo Arc; so I can offer a fairly legitimate judgement. Feature for feature they are both excellent, although the Kobo Arc screen is a little sluggish. Why I prefer the Arc is when I use the Nexus, my hands get very tired from holding it. I have small hands. Perhaps that is the problem. The Arc is much more comfortable to hold. I hope this helps. Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiralaqbar View Post
Hi everyone,

So i'm in a bit of a snag here trying to decide whether to purchase the Google Nexus 7 or the Kobo Arc. I've read reviews everywhere that they're almost pretty much the same, but I need to get more of a specific answer. I'm going to be mostly using it for reading, but i like the added touch of it being a tablet. My question is does the Nexus 7 have the same capabilities(reading and such) as the Kobo Arc or does the Kobo Arc take advantage of it there?
Youbenicenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Blintok57

well i have been using the nexus 7 for a few days now and am very happy i switched. The GPS feature is something i know will get alot of use. I no longer need a data plan from cell phone. As for holding the arc vs nexus i find the opposite. i can hold both in my right hand easy enough and i liked to turn pages using my (right) thumb. (like i did with the former kobo touch) but the arc i found too heavy to do this.

actually i do beleive they are the same weight but the arc felt unbalanced and wanted to tip onto the ground doing the one hand page turns as above. With the N7 i can turn pages just fine.

got a nice cover for the N7 yesterday. The LOGiiX slim model. holds device nice and snug and still fits in pocket. nice that it puts n7 to sleep when you close the cover.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
You made the right choice. And your little Nexus 7 tablet will get updated more promptly and often than the Kobo Arc ever will.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote