Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
pcampbell
pcampbell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Arrow Kobo Vox memory card image - Updated Download Link

Ok...

I got 4 Kobo Vox tablets for family for Christmas. 3 didn't work, 1 did. 2 had the tablet upgrade error, and 1 kept saying card is full. NONE were able to do a factory reset (vol+ power), also formatting the user partition did nothing.

So the one that worked, did a factory restore from settings, downloaded the updates, then before finishing first setup turned it off. So when turn on it just asks for Timezone ect...

Then using dd created a copy of the memory card, flashing it to the memory cards of the other 3 tablets. All worked. So tested working fix.

This is not an beginners task, say intermediate. I created a torrent for the image (2.5gb) and will seed long as I can from my work at 20Kb/s. If anyone can please help out with the seeding and hosting the .torrent file would be appreciated.

NOTE: Requires Linux (I use Linux Mint here at work), for beginners Ubuntu would make life a bit easier. Also install Gdiskdump to make it easier.

GUIDE:

1) download the image from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63645/kobovox.img.gz dropbox direct link
http://fileai.com/?r=795 (this one is slowwww, but steady)

2) Take apart your Kobo Vox and remove the memory card. Its easy, take off back cover, remove screws, unplug battery, carefully seperate plastic housing, memory card is on top edge. (this is the not so beginner part)

3) Use a memory card reader and connect to your computer

4) Load up Gdiskdump (Recommend for ease of use, command line dd is my choice)

5) First screen (source) choose "File" from the drop down

6) Second screen (destination) choose "Harddrive", choose your memory card, should show as 7.05gb disk

7) Click go and take a coffee/smoke/tea break.....

8) Put it all back together

9) Turn on and should just ask to connect to wifi, check for updates fast fast then go straight to the timezone selection

10) PROFIT!

Thank you DrunkMonk for this following guide for Windows users!
Alright, update and alternative solution for those non-linux individuals like myself and those having write access issues.

After getting the .img.gz file I tried, tried and tried again to install on existing SD card. What I found out is that my vox's 8gb card was not allowing write access no matter what I did. I tried everything I could think of and decided I'm done with the card! I bought a new card for $15 bucks and downloaded WinImage here.

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

If you don't want to use linux use this program. The steps to reflash are as follows:

1. First thing you will have to format and partition the new sd card using cmd prompt. Search youtube if you don't know how.

2. Extract the .img file from the .gz file.

3. Open WinImage. Under the "Disk" tab select "restore Virtual Hard Disk" . Then select your SD card and hit ok. In the popup select filetype in the bottom right and select "all files". Find and select your kobovox.img file. Select ok again to start.

4. Pop back sd card into your vox once re-imaging is complete and follow the setup. Good to go without using linux.

*As a note, it may just be that my cardreader wasn't accessing the microsd from the vox appropriately. This might happen to you. I'd suggest just buying a combo SD card/adapter that's 8gb and doing it my way. It's less than 20 bucks and it will save you the headache of trying to get the internal sd to write. Plus it will save you working in linux if you aren't very knowledgeable of it.

Hope this helps someone else!!!

Have fun, hope it helps

UPDATE: Added new download link that won't be going down... Well, not till boss finds out

UPDATE 2: Added dropbox link thanks to Lanord!

UPDATE 3: Added windows guide thanks drunkmonk!

Last edited by pcampbell; 03-30-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added windows guide
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Does your "good" Vox have the sleep of death problem?
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Not sure if it's just me, but I get an error when uTorrent opens your linked file. Anyone else able to successfully get it to download and open?
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedenim View Post
Does your "good" Vox have the sleep of death problem?
Ha, ha! Great question!
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
pcampbell

As far as I've seen no "sleep of death", atleast my son hasn't mentioned it. I'll steal it from him tonight and poke it.

The torrent file seems messed up... hmm... in the morning I will fix it. Sorry about that. Created it with kTorrent as Transmission 2.31 has issues making torrents with udp announce urls.

Trying to share my victory after several weeks of fighting with it. Its actualy a pretty nice tablet/reader for the price... got them $119.99 CAD on sale.

Last edited by pcampbell; 02-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post

The torrent file seems messed up... hmm... in the morning I will fix it.
...got them $119.99 CAD on sale.
No problem about the torrent, really cool of you to upload it either way

And where did you grab them for $119? Wow that's low!

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
pcampbell

Ok, having issues with trackers here at work (nothing but problems with Linksys router since they bought it). So, uploading it direct to my development server. Will update the original post with a direct link to the image file when its done.

2.8gb at 130KB/s ... about 5 hours to go.

"And where did you grab them for $119? Wow that's low!"

Small electronics store in Montreal during Boxing Week, price was $134.99 but since I bought 4 at once, he dropped it to $119.99 each.

I do most of Christmas shopping during Boxing Week, save ALOT of money
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
pcampbell

Ok, doing my best to share this

Came into work this morning and see this:

Command: STOR kobovox.img.gz
Response: 552 Quota exceeded: [kobovox.img.gz] won't be saved
Error: Critical file transfer error

Feel like banging my head into the wall. Sorry folks I'll have to figure something out

EDIT:

Ok, got something to work, its odd but hey. Try http://fileai.com/?r=539

If someone can test be appreciated. Please and thank you!

Last edited by pcampbell; 02-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
Ok, got something to work, its odd but hey. Try http://fileai.com/?r=539

If someone can test be appreciated. Please and thank you!
Link working
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
pcampbell

Awesome, its going to be slow to start but as more download it, faster it will go.

I'll let it run as long as possible here, I'm off for the next 3 days so leaving it run on my computer here at work. Hope nobody sees it and turns it off :/
Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
Kobot
Kobot began at the beginning.

links not working new one please? need it bad
Kobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #12
prg
Member Retired
prg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
would love a copy of it as well. thanks! just in case... you know?
prg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
With the app you mentioned in Linux, do you really have to open the reader? Mine's borked at the moment, but if I can't fix it by Monday, Kobo is supposed to get in touch with me, so I'd prefer not to open it if I don't have to.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
With the app you mentioned in Linux, do you really have to open the reader?
Yes. 5 char
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Ok, well as soon as I can get a copy of the image, I'll give it a go
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote