Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Millionth PDF question, but with Galaxy (possibly iPad)

Ok, so here is my question, is there a good PDF viewer for scanned pages. I haven't seen this answered really.

I have had a scan copies of rule books, and instruction manuals cause it is easier to carry around, and find stuff. But I tried it on my Nook last night and the results well sucked. no zoom feature killed it.

I converted to ePub, but of course that did nothing.

So I am thinking about a Tab since I have a nice tax refund coming.

I been look at Galaxy Tab, but do not want a contract, The Xoom is too pricey (if the Best Buy add is legit and it really is 800 bucks), and my Mother has an iPad so I may just go over her house and do testing on it, but I wanted to see if anyone had a good one for Android OS which is what I would prefer.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
The lastest version of repligo works pretty well on my PDN (takes a sec for the next page to appear. AdobeX is pretty darn fast, but has limited functionality (no night view, does not save your place)

I would guess they'd both work very well on a high end tablet.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have a rooted nook, actually I'm running nookie(Android 2.2) on my nook and think it is a great platform for reading PDF. It's small enough to carry and power enough to read any scan based PDF.

That said the samsung tab has more memory, a faster CPU. The experience on the tab will be quite nice.

My wife has an iPad and it is very large. It makes it easy to read larger PDF, since you most likely do not have to zoom or refelow the PDF. But the size and weight do make it awkward to port around vs the 7" screens which are small enough to slip in any pocket.

For the software I strongly recommend RepliGo it is by far the best PDF reader on the android market. ezPDF is also nice but it is not as fast and does not have as many features.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I have a rooted nook, actually I'm running nookie(Android 2.2) on my nook and think it is a great platform for reading PDF. It's small enough to carry and power enough to read any scan based PDF.

That said the samsung tab has more memory, a faster CPU. The experience on the tab will be quite nice.

My wife has an iPad and it is very large. It makes it easy to read larger PDF, since you most likely do not have to zoom or refelow the PDF. But the size and weight do make it awkward to port around vs the 7" screens which are small enough to slip in any pocket.

For the software I strongly recommend RepliGo it is by far the best PDF reader on the android market. ezPDF is also nice but it is not as fast and does not have as many features.
=X=
ok so I am on 1.5 on my nook. and it is one that starts with 1032.

So rooting, do I have to take it apart?

I would love to do it, but I don't want to lose the stuff I bought from B&N. Would I? I would do it in a second if I had a good tut. Also I got a degree in netorking and IT so I can take anything but don't want to take it apart. If I don't have to buy another device that be great.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry let me clarify this, I'm on a rooted nookColor. The one that has an LCD screen going for $250.

For a nookColor. No there is no hardware modifications, you just need an SD Micro card and an sd micro card reader. Then you can chose from either rooting your nook or run Android 2.2 off of your SD Card.

The steps are easy and the How-to are so detailed and easy to follow.
=X=
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
rock
Addict

MMM, ok you sold me on Nook color than lol.

I bought the nook as soon as the Color came out.

I like my Nook, I may get the color, and give the nook to someone else so they can have an E-reader.

I probably run the 2.2 from an SD card, as that sounds much better.

How is the battery life?

Also I hate to ask, but do you have pictures of a PDF on your NookColor? I rather Pay 250 for that. Then again the Hauwai is 299 I think now for a tablet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Huawei+-...&skuId=1411106

Just read honeycomb can be installed on nook color internal memery. Very tempting

Last edited by rock; 02-07-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard

Many folks have mentioned getting an MicroSD Class 10, they run from $40-$90 if you plan on running off of your SD card. I'm using an 8GB Class 2 and am quite happy. I'm tempted to buy a class 10 card for improved performance, but I don't know if it's worth it.

The battery life is good It usually last me the whole day. I can use it for about 3-4hrs of solid use--WIFI, full screen brightness on. If you just want to read and have the brightness down I think 6-8hrs is doable. Yes it's a drag having to charge it daily since I'm use to my Kindle going 1-2wks w/o a charge, but I do use my nook for much more than reading.

Honycomb is very tempting, but it is far from stable. There are a lot of apps that do not work on HC which is why I'm holding off. Give the app developers and the HC/nook crew more time to work on stability.

Right now nookie(Froyo) works great. Here are some of my links in the B&N forum
I got some "Nookie" last night and I'm loving it!
Apps that work on the nookie (eReader centric)

Sure I'll repost a picture but you won't get much from the post the PDF looks fine. Also note the buttons to the left is an app called "Button Savior". Android expects 4 buttons, since the nook has only one button this app is necessary for you to interact with most of the apps. (you can make the buttons minimize, in the photos they are maximized.

Here is a link that I posted for somebody else. It does not have reflow on ()
Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
rock
Addict

that's nice. I was wondering if you had PDF's that were images. Like instructional manuals for sites. Like my example would be L5R Rules PDF. If is basically a scan of their rule book that comes with their cards.

You don't have to humor me as you are already very helpful.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Rock, you might go try a nook color out at the store. I almost bought one myself before opting for the PDN. It (the nook color) handled PDFs like a dream even with its barebones viewer, and it has a very nice screen.

However, I did not like how skinny the screen was. In landscape (how I read PDFs), not a lot of text would show and I didn't like having to scroll so much. I prefer the 4:3 of the Pandigital (though I sure wish I could have the nook resolution
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
rock
Addict

I have played with them before. If I didn't buy the nook a few months ago, (I think I got it the day the NC came out) I would have gotten the color if I had the money.

I think it looks great, but I need to see what this Pandigital you speak of.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
A 7 inch(GTab) device is not really good for reading PDFs. Neither is a 9.7 inch(ipad).

However, GoodReader in ipad rocks. It allows you to crop a page to your satisfaction.
The only thing it doesnt do is once cropped it doesnt zoom the page to the entire screen, rather tries to maintain aspect ratio of some sort.

I am not sure about Repligo on Android/Ipad, but GoodReader is as good a reader as any i have seen.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
There is also the eDGe with both an e-ink and LCD screen.

You can view scanned PDFs on either screen or use the e-ink for the text and the LCD for the pictures - in colour if you scanned them in colour. In fact that is the way I use mine with service manuals and other technical documentation.

There is also the ability to annotate on the e-ink screen and save them with the pdf.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Okay is this what you're asking for? I took a screen cap of the whole page and a close up. personally i don't think this really gives you a good feel for how well it handles pdf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_95330867.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	66306   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_26330868.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	66307  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
rock
Addict

Yup that is EXACTLY what I needed. I didn't want to say it, but yea it is a DnD book and other stuff ha ha.

I think I may go with Nook Color. all I need is a zoom and I am fine. Plus the ability to run Froyo from a SD card is a mucho plus without messing with Stock.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Rock, you might go try a nook color out at the store. I almost bought one myself before opting for the PDN. It (the nook color) handled PDFs like a dream even with its barebones viewer, and it has a very nice screen.
Define "dream", please...

On a stock Nook Color:

-No TOC
-No PDF reflow
-Cannot remember last page read
-No bookmarks

To me, it was very annoying got to browse the whole PDF document every time I want to go back and read the same file again and again.

You will have to root the Nook Color in order to get Android access and able to install a decent PDF viewer for that. If cost is a major issue here, would be an alternative, otherwise I would skip the NC altogether and go for a tablet instead.

Depending of the kind of document (size and type), an iPad would be a good choice, followed by a Galaxy Tab maybe, or even a Motorola tablet. By the way, you don't need a contract in order to use a Galaxy Tab, at least not for Tmobile here in USA.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote