Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
The Apple iPad is basically a gigantic iPod Touch.

I wish I had said that. Oh wait, I did many times.

And that is not a bad thing at all. (I think I have said that a few times too)

NYT's David Pogue agrees. Twice.

Quote:
The bottom line is that the iPad has been designed and built by a bunch of perfectionists. If you like the concept, you’ll love the machine.

The only question is: Do you like the concept?
I do.

More here.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I do too.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Here's links to the other carefully seeded reviews that came out at the same time as that one:

http://gizmodo.com/5506824/first-ipad-reviews-are-in
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I wish I had said that. Oh wait, I did many times.

And that is not a bad thing at all. (I think I have said that a few times too)

NYT's David Pogue agrees. Twice.
I think you have that backwards. The Touch is basically a downsized iPad.

I know that this seems to be saying the same thing you did, but it really isn't. The Touch is a kind of crippled iPad - it does a lot of the same things, but there are many things the iPad does that the Touch won't be doing, or at least, not as well. I've read - but find it hard to believe - that the Touch won't do iBooks. (It has to at least have an iBook Reader app!) I know that the Touch can't do graphic novels/comics as well as the iPad will. Those iWork apps aren't going to be much use on a Touch.

So I'm already beginning to think of my iPhone, which is the Touch with a phone, as a kind of satellite of my iPad, my Pad Away From Home.

This is one of the reasons that I think that one of the impacts of the iPad will be to sell more Touches. A lot of people without an iPhone but with an iPad are going to want a Touch, which, incidentally, now costs $199. If I were Apple, I'd bundle them for a while just to get that concept across.

Random thought: is an iPod Touch a Touche in France?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I think you have that backwards. The Touch is basically a downsized iPad.
Chicken - egg, tomatoe - tomatoh

Not gonna argue the point, because essentially you are correct.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Ipad software will evolve to separate it completely from its Touch parent. The relation was there only until proper dedicated software availability could be filled. Watch for it to be totally different very soon. Proof is that we'll get to pay for the next major upgrade.

I've read other reviewers that claim differently from Pogue in that the iPad is more a computer than the iPod Touch really is.

Here, for now, we have the classic "Half Full/Half Empty" conundrum.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Ipad software will evolve to separate it completely from its Touch parent. The relation was there only until proper dedicated software availability could be filled. Watch for it to be totally different very soon. Proof is that we'll get to pay for the next major upgrade.

I've read other reviewers that claim differently from Pogue in that the iPad is more a computer than the iPod Touch really is.

Here, for now, we have the classic "Half Full/Half Empty" conundrum.
I doubt it will be totally different as Apple is not that sloppy with their software. It's going to stay Mobile OS X. What I expect will happen is the hardware for the Touch/iPhone will become more robust as a result of the iPad.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This seems to be true - AND I LOVE IT!

How many times over the past year or so have I posted my wish for a book reader with an iPod type screen?

I'm soooo excited! Tomorrow is the BIG D-DAY (Delivery Day!)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
This seems to be true - AND I LOVE IT!

How many times over the past year or so have I posted my wish for a book reader with an iPod type screen?

I'm soooo excited! Tomorrow is the BIG D-DAY (Delivery Day!)
I'm happy for you DGal!

I'll have to wait a month longer for the Canadian 3G.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I want one ! but still wonder about comfortable using IPad. If I able to hold an IPad while I lay down like I holding a book in my hand. Tomorrow we'll know !
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
There was an article somewhere (Gizmodo?) this AM that basically said that the iPad is the third wave in computing (after mainframes and the personal computer) and it (and PERHAPS devices like it) will replace the PC for the most common functions for a large percentage of the population.

I know the geeks will hate this idea and disagree, but they are geeks and clearly do not represent or even understand the vast majority of the population. Anyone who has tried to show a non-geek or a parent how to use a PC at any really useful level knows what a problem these folks have with the PC (or Mac). They want and need simple execution of simple tasks and iPad does that. It is ALL ABOUT SIMPLE.

Tablet devices will not kill the PC anytime soon, if ever, but will replace them for some of the more basic functions (which for some folks is all they would use a PC for anyway). In fact, one could argue that, if anything, they might be helpful for PCs in that they would serve as a basic and simple introduction to the world of the web, social media, and computing in general. This might encourage some folks to move on to the greater complexity and functionality of the PC.

I know that there are folks who will say that "my smartphone does all that". Well, I have been using an iPod touch (essentially a smartphone w/o the phone) since Gen 1 and have to say that the experience is less than ideal for most apps and horrible for others. This is almost entirely due to lack of screen real estate. Smart phones do what they do and are nicely portable but a tablet sized device is just often a better experience. There is room for both.

The big question for me is will any other companies be able to compete anytime soon? As many have said, it is all about simple and Apple is the king of simple. I sure hope we see some real competition soon in the tablet space. Obie-Wan-Android, you are our only hope! <g>

Interestingly, the biggest issue for iPad adoption by the target (non-geek) market is Wi-Fi
at home set up. Setting up a Wi-Fi router, although not too hard, is way harder than anything on the iPad itself...

As for me, I have a 3G on order and look forward to trying books on it. I suspect that it will prove to be a mixed bag in that regard. It will be great in the dark, great for color and graphics, but marginal on battery life, harder on the eyes, and way too heavy to hold in one hand. Of course, the weight and battery issues may eventually be solved by progress in these areas.

OTOH, I normally rest even my Kindle on something when I read.

We shall see. We live in interesting times in this respect.

Last edited by CCDMan; 04-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Having to pay for upgrades puts it in the same boat as the ipod touch other than the next one is free.

Personally, I wouldn't expect the OS to diverge greatly, the differences will show by what apps can do to take advantage of the larger device without apple adding to their own work by making too many changes to an OS they seem happy with.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
There was an article somewhere (Gizmodo?) this AM that basically said that the iPad is the third wave in computing (after mainframes and the personal computer) and it (and PERHAPS devices like it) will replace the PC for the most common functions for a large percentage of the population.

I know the geeks will hate this idea and disagree, but they are geeks and clearly do not represent or even understand the vast majority of the population. Anyone who has tried to show a non-geek or a parent how to use a PC at any really useful level knows what a problem these folks have with the PC (or Mac). They want and need simple execution of simple tasks and iPad does that. It is ALL ABOUT SIMPLE.
As far as usage you could see people moving more towards these kind of computing appliances, but the simple fact of the matter is that they are not suited to be a replacement to a computer rather a complement to an existing machine given the lack of storage space on them requires you to synch with a computer with more storage space.

Quote:
As many have said, it is all about simple and Apple is the king of simple. I sure hope we see some real competition soon in the tablet space. Obie-Wan-Android, our are our only hope! <g>
Companies don't have to compete directly, just take advantage of the attention apple has generated about a form factor that has rarely sold in the past due to issues such as touchscreen technology, battery life etc.

Quote:
Interestingly, the biggest issue for iPad adoption by the target (non-geek) market is Wi-Fi
at home set up. Setting up a Wi-Fi router, although not too hard, is way harder than anything on the iPad itself...
This is an area where the isps do seem to be learning, including the wifi router as part of the deal and either having preconfigured for the customer in question or making the process much simpler.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
This is an area where the isps do seem to be learning, including the wifi router as part of the deal and either having preconfigured for the customer in question or making the process much simpler.
True - some do. Of course this is often at the price of security. I know that the first wifi DSL modem I got from Qwest left half the ports open, some closed, and almost none stealthed as they normally should be. Easy to fix via a router but the sort of folks we are talking about would have no clue on how to fix this. Then there is using the right WEP protocol and a decent password....

Of course, one could argue that better security is always the result of better knowledge and if all they are using is an iPad, security is less critical due to the locked down nature of the device and the smaller amount of critical data being stored on it.

Last edited by CCDMan; 04-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I read a blog entry by a bloke that is replacing his Mac Book with an iPad. His reasons were sound... he stated he basically does web surfing, email, and light productivity work such as word processing on it. When using it at home or even on the road an external keyboard can be used. The iPad can do all these things and is lighter to carry around has longer battery life than the Mac Book and has reasonably inexpensive data service via the 3G pay as you go service.

I agree... for him, and a lot of people, an iPad like device can replace a laptop/netbook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote