Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
mrwrite
Enthusiast
mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
A little disappointed

After spending quite a while building an animated gif for my book, and watching it perform well in Sigil, I discovered...

It does NOT animate using the Nook or the Nook for PC.
It DOES animate using Calibre.

Anyone know how the other readers view a gif file? Would they animate?
mrwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Check here:

[ ] I give a s--t about reading the specs.

No animation in epub 2.x

Anyway the best way to animate a book is to throw its paper representation at the person requesting it animated.
Damn, it's a book.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm not interested in animating GIFs, myself. I do most of my reading with epubs on a JetBook Lite, but I've never seen an animated GIF -- and I'm not sure whether it would work on my device.

Since your problem, so far, is with the Nook, you might post a question in MR's Nook Developer's sub-forum, and see what those folks have to say.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Neither calibre nor Sigil are real ereaders. They both use the Webkit browser rendering engine to view ebooks as though they are web pages (because there is no reason whatsoever to write an ereader just for previewing in an editor) ... so of course they will show your pictures correctly, just like any other browser.

No ereader engine that I am aware of will do animations of any kind. (Except for iBooks maybe because they enjoy working differently from the rest of the known universe. It would be just like them to do something stupid like this.)

No one has put any effort into caring to try to support animations in ebooks any more than they have tried to do so for paper books. For good reason.

If you want animations make an app.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-05-2014 at 12:09 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
A major factor and advantage of e-ink screens is that they do not need to refresh the page between turns, it's how they manage to be so power efficient. For most of us, for most of what we want to see on our e-readers, this is a good thing.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
mrwrite
Enthusiast
mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrwrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thank you all. I understand about no animation in books. I just wanted to show the instructions together, rather than separate views over several pages. Animation seemed like a win, since illustrations needed so many page turns.
mrwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No ereader engine that I am aware of will do animations of any kind. (Except for iBooks maybe because they enjoy working differently from the rest of the known universe. It would be just like them to do something stupid like this.)
Both iBooks and the Kindle (on devices like the Fire tablets) support embedded multimedia in books - sound and video. Although I agree that it's unnecessary for novels, there are certainly some types of book for which multimedia could be a genuine enhancement. Eg a bird recognition book could include audio of birdsong; a cookery book could include video clips.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote