Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #556
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If by "better" you mean "faster", in a portable device it's always a compromise between CPU speed and power consumption. A faster CPU means higher power consumption and a shorter battery life, or a larger battery and a heavier device.
I'm not sure that a faster CPU is even necessary for an eink device.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #557
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I'm not sure that a faster CPU is even necessary for an eink device.
Rendering a complex PDF file does take a great deal of computational power, so there's certainly more reason to have a fast CPU on a device designed to read PDF than one aimed at ePub or Kindle formats. I'm sure, though, that Sony's engineers will have used a CPU that's appropriate for the task that the device is designed to carry out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #558
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
A good CPU is definitely necessary for a e-ink device of this type. I have been trying to read large PDF's in the Kindle DX, and, in the cases where the file has figures or photos, the device freezes frequently. And when it does not, it gets incredibly slow.

So good CPU, but not too good (for the sake of battery life) is what i expect in this device.

I can't wait to have one of these.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #559
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
A good CPU is definitely necessary for a e-ink device of this type. I have been trying to read large PDF's in the Kindle DX, and, in the cases where the file has figures or photos, the device freezes frequently. And when it does not, it gets incredibly slow.

So good CPU, but not too good (for the sake of battery life) is what i expect in this device.

I can't wait to have one of these.
For Kindle DX it is really indispensable to install kindlepdfviewer thereon, if we want a good pdf reader, fast enough, with all necessary zooming options, pdf txt underscoring, gamma correction etc.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

If some pdfs use complex compression method or very big pages that will make even tablets like iPad show&turn pdf pages really slow, we can use k2pdfopt app to optimize pdf for Kindle DX or DPT-S1 beforehand and page rendering&turning will be normal again.

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Last edited by markom; 04-03-2014 at 08:43 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #560
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Rendering a complex PDF file does take a great deal of computational power, so there's certainly more reason to have a fast CPU on a device designed to read PDF than one aimed at ePub or Kindle formats. I'm sure, though, that Sony's engineers will have used a CPU that's appropriate for the task that the device is designed to carry out.
Wouldn't it be better to increase the number of cores?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #561
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Not being a hardware designer, I honestly couldn't say which would be better. I'm sure that Sony's engineers know much more about it than I do, and will have made the appropriate choice of CPU.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #562
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
The program would have to be able to use the cores in parallel. I don't know if the PDF rendering code is written that way. I would guess not as I think the PDF language requires a state machine to process (and is thus hard and inefficient to implement multithreaded), but I could be wrong.

Also, more computing power means more battery power required. The engineers are always trying to find that sweet spot between system power and battery life that will please most people.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #563
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The program would have to be able to use the cores in parallel. I don't know if the PDF rendering code is written that way. I would guess not as I think the PDF language requires a state machine to process (and is thus hard and inefficient to implement multithreaded), but I could be wrong.

Also, more computing power means more battery power required. The engineers are always trying to find that sweet spot between system power and battery life that will please most people.
Yes, but isn't the advantage of multiple cores that you don't have to use all of them? So if you have a simple pdf you could use less power and if you have a complex one you could still open it at an agreeable speed.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #564
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
This question has been answered earlier in the thread.
Yes, my bad, I even read it and commented when it was posted lol...
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #565
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Yes, but isn't the advantage of multiple cores that you don't have to use all of them? So if you have a simple pdf you could use less power and if you have a complex one you could still open it at an agreeable speed.
That would be true for tasks that can use multiple cores at once, but as I said earlier, I kind of doubt that rendering PDF pages is such a task. PDFs are not just made up of data like an image or an HTML page is. The PDF contents are really programs meant for a state engine, i.e. each instruction is executed a certain way that depends on the current state of rendering at that moment. For example, the instruction may be to draw a line from point A to point B. How the line is drawn (thickness, foreground colour, background colour, line style, corner style,...) depends on the engine state. The bits of state can be changed at any time during the rendering of a page, so the only way to know that the state is correct when you get to a certain instruction is to start from one of the set points where the state is known (usually the beginning of a page) and work through all the instructions from there to the current point. There is also no way that CPU 1 can work on the first half of the page while CPU 2 works on the second half, because CPU2 won't know what state to start from until CPU1 is done. There might be instructions that can somehow be farmed out to multiple CPUs (I don't really know), but I don't expect there are that many of those.

That said, two CPUs can work on two separate pages without interfering with each other. That doubles the RAM requirements, though.

Perhaps modern PDF versions break up the pages into separate "programs" that can be individually rendered. It's been over a decade since I did any programming on PDF renderers, and things may have changed since then. If so, multiple CPUs could be used to render a PDF page, but it would depend on the version of PDF that the document is stored in. Older versions would still only work with one CPU per page, no matter how complex.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #566
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That would be true for tasks that can use multiple cores at once, but as I said earlier, I kind of doubt that rendering PDF pages is such a task. PDFs are not just made up of data like an image or an HTML page is. The PDF contents are really programs meant for a state engine, i.e. each instruction is executed a certain way that depends on the current state of rendering at that moment. For example, the instruction may be to draw a line from point A to point B. How the line is drawn (thickness, foreground colour, background colour, line style, corner style,...) depends on the engine state. The bits of state can be changed at any time during the rendering of a page, so the only way to know that the state is correct when you get to a certain instruction is to start from one of the set points where the state is known (usually the beginning of a page) and work through all the instructions from there to the current point. There is also no way that CPU 1 can work on the first half of the page while CPU 2 works on the second half, because CPU2 won't know what state to start from until CPU1 is done. There might be instructions that can somehow be farmed out to multiple CPUs (I don't really know), but I don't expect there are that many of those.

That said, two CPUs can work on two separate pages without interfering with each other. That doubles the RAM requirements, though.

Perhaps modern PDF versions break up the pages into separate "programs" that can be individually rendered. It's been over a decade since I did any programming on PDF renderers, and things may have changed since then. If so, multiple CPUs could be used to render a PDF page, but it would depend on the version of PDF that the document is stored in. Older versions would still only work with one CPU per page, no matter how complex.
Different CPUs for different pages makes the most sense. RAM is cheap and is one of the specs that people would look at (even those that don't know what it represents).
Old 04-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #567
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Different CPUs for different pages makes the most sense. RAM is cheap and is one of the specs that people would look at (even those that don't know what it represents).
With E Ink the second page is pre-staged while the first page is still displayed. No refresh so no need to tie up the processor or memory. You might use a second cpu for running a annotation tool or some other independent task but you are not likely to need a PDF viewer divided by pages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #568
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Exclamation

the "pen" holder makes it twice as thick (see left picture). hopefully it will be fixed.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #569
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I think the pen holder is like a rubber band so it doesn't make the device twice as thick.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #570
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
fine. so the pen makes it twice as thick, when it's in it's holder.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote