Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #31
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you actually purchased and HDX 2013, don't forget to post in the poll here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225052
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Has anyone tried Mayday?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #33
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some Best Buy locations have the 16gb in stock.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
So to those of you that now have both the HDX and the KPW, which one do you prefer reading your books on? I have the Nexus 7.2, but I saw the HDX today at Best Buy and am tempted to buy a HDX as well, fast and AWESOME colors.. better colors than the Nexus 7.2 .. it seemed very nice.. I have the KPW as well..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-19-2013 at 07:20 PM.
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I will chime in here even though I won't receive my HDX until Monday.

I have a PW2 and that is without a doubt my primary reading device. My secondary reading device is my phone. My HDX will be a distant 3rd.

Instead, I got the HDX (and the Fire HD last year) for movies, internet and apps, especially being a prime member. My kids will also like it for the apps and the Disney Junior tv.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
So to those of you that now have both the HDX and the KPW, which one do you prefer reading your books on? I have the Nexus 7.2, but I saw the HDX today at Best Buy and am tempted to buy a HDX as well, fast and AWESOME colors.. better colors than the Nexus 7.2 .. it seemed very nice.. I have the KPW as well..
Well the paperwhite but not by visual they are both excellent but the HDX has issues with mobi books at the moment. I contacted support and they forwarded to the developers team but the table of contents do not work on mobi books just Amazon cloud books and sideloaded AZW3 books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #37
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well the paperwhite but not by visual they are both excellent but the HDX has issues with mobi books at the moment. I contacted support and they forwarded to the developers team but the table of contents do not work on mobi books just Amazon cloud books and sideloaded AZW3 books.
Ok, other than what you mentioned.. what is best for reading books? I know the HDX is perfectly clear and crisp.. that being said.. if someone had a gun to your head and you had to pick one or the other for reading a book, (KPW or HDX) which would it be? very interested in your opinion.. the stock KPW or the stock HDX?.. just as they came from the factory..
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Both are equally good in certain ambient light.

Quote:
Ok, other than what you mentioned.. what is best for reading books? I know the HDX is perfectly clear and crisp.. that being said.. if someone had a gun to your head and you had to pick one or the other for reading a book, (KPW or HDX) which would it be? very interested in your opinion.. the stock KPW or the stock HDX?.. just as they came from the factory..
In good light environments I only use my PW 2013 to read. At dusk I read only on my HDX 2013 with music playing from it.

The only Bible I use in Church is the AcroBible which runs on the HD 2012 and the HDX 2013 but does not run on the PW 2013.

My wife uses the QVC App on the HD 2012 and the HDX 2013.

I constantly reference the Weather Channel App on the HDX 2013. It keeps the temperature constantly up to date in the Notification down sweep on the HDX 2013. It did not do that in the HD 2013.

Many times my wife is reading at the same time as me on her PW 2012 while I am reading on the HDX 2013.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Very strange question if someone did that I would pick the HDX it's heavier and makes a good weapon. I would say for personal preferences I really have none but I love my PW it has my special font on it. I haven't tried it a AZW3 with my font on the HDX yet but I tried it on Mantano and it was way tooo bold. So I say HDX has better resolution for reading. On my PW I have to use a special font to read with. Not so on the HDX.

The font sizes on the HDX are much better than the PW hands down.

The fingerprints on the HDX are a issue as it's not as glossy as previous KFs so it really shows up so keep a cloth handy. In the dark those fingeprints turn to faint shadows.

Now for the stock question the HDX wins. I can't read with the stock fonts for long periods of time on the PW....that reminds me I need make a lighter version of my special font to try on the HDX.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Hi Blossom and Sirmaru. It sounds like you both have the Fire HD and HDX. I would like to buy either the new 7 inch HD, or HDX, which I want to use mainly for reading books. Do you think the HDX is worth the extra $100? Thank you.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #41
FanciFreez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Very strange question if someone did that I would pick the HDX it's heavier and makes a good weapon. I would say for personal preferences I really have none but I love my PW it has my special font on it. I haven't tried it a AZW3 with my font on the HDX yet but I tried it on Mantano and it was way tooo bold. So I say HDX has better resolution for reading. On my PW I have to use a special font to read with. Not so on the HDX.

The font sizes on the HDX are much better than the PW hands down.

The fingerprints on the HDX are a issue as it's not as glossy as previous KFs so it really shows up so keep a cloth handy. In the dark those fingeprints turn to faint shadows.

Now for the stock question the HDX wins. I can't read with the stock fonts for long periods of time on the PW....that reminds me I need make a lighter version of my special font to try on the HDX.
Yes, probably a strange question from a STRANGE person.. LOL.. if you only knew.. LOL.. but.. I just wanted to get a opinion of which was better out of the box without any mods .. sometimes and often when folks do lots of mods to default factory settings or try to apply or modify and make better.. strange things happens as the device people are modifying is getting false info and the quality goes down for what the platform was designed for.... ie.. sideloading, calibre, font apps etc.. they may think it's good, but in actuality they are decreasing the ability of the device.. in short... not as compatible and as good as what the device was designed for..just my 3 cents.. LOL..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Hi Blossom and Sirmaru. It sounds like you both have the Fire HD and HDX. I would like to buy either the new 7 inch HD, or HDX, which I want to use mainly for reading books. Do you think the HDX is worth the extra $100? Thank you.
I only have HDX and the original KF. I would say it's worth it. The screen for reading is so much better on the HDX. The extra ppi makes a world of difference! If you are going to use it for reading the only two choices would be the HDX or Nexus 7.

I also prefer the form factor on the HDX to the HD. My MIL has a HD and I can say I like this one better. The buttons are great on this so easy to use.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes, probably a strange question from a STRANGE person.. LOL.. if you only knew.. LOL.. but.. I just wanted to get a opinion of which was better out of the box without any mods .. sometimes and often when folks do lots of mods to default factory settings or try to apply or modify and make better.. strange things happens as the device people are modifying is getting false info and the quality goes down for what the platform was designed for.... ie.. sideloading, calibre, font apps etc.. they may think it's good, but in actuality they are decreasing the ability of the device.. in short... not as compatible and as good as what the device was designed for..just my 3 cents.. LOL..
OooKay. I don't agree with that but there's no need to mod anything on the HDX. Sideloading apps is part of the feature that has always been there for Kindle Fire.

The fonts on the reader for me only Caecilia and Lucinda can I use the others are not good for dyslexics like myself. I prefer my special font though to any of them. It's just nicer experience for me.

Mantano works wonderfully on it. The font rendering is breathtaking.

The biggest con for is the broke table of contents for mobi and personal documents. I have always emailed my books to my Kindles so I can sync back and forth but on the HDX I can do that but no TOC working and then there is the covers but I could overlook that but not the missing TOC.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #44
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Thank you Blossom. Do you have the 7 inch HDX, or the larger one?
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Thank you Blossom. Do you have the 7 inch HDX, or the larger one?
The 7" one. Anything bigger for reading would just be silly unless you use it for say PDFs or watching movies.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-19-2013 at 11:38 PM.