Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Thibor
Thibor began at the beginning.

Device: Thibor
Help with adb

I have the NookColor. I just followed the directions to root this device. It seems like it all went well, but I can not install any programs ( I am trying the ones that have been confirmed to work ). Like I said, I did patch the ADB but here is what I get when I try any commands ( via Win 7 command prompt )

==============================================
C:\androidsdk>cd tools
C:\androidsdk\tools>adb kill-server
C:\androidsdk\tools>adb devices

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
<none>

C:\androidsdk\tools>
===============================================

If I try the shell I get this:

C:\androidsdk\tools>adb shell
error: device not found

C:\androidsdk\tools>
===============================================

Why cant it see the device ?? In device manager it shows as:

My-PC
|-Android Phone
|-Android ADB Interface
Device Type: Android Phone
Manufacture: Google. Inc.

Any thought please ????

THanks
John
Thibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I think the problem is you don't have the driver installed properly - that is the errors I was getting until I finally got the drivers installed properly. Now, my device manager under android devices says "adb composite device". Keep workingon the drivers, and don't forget to make the file to put in your \username\.android directory. It took me several tries and a restart before I got the drivers installed properly.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, under "Devices and Printers" uninstall the drivers and point to the usb drivers in the android sdk.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
rember to edit the adb_usb.ini file in C:\Users\<your useername>\.android
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Thibor
Thibor began at the beginning.

Device: Thibor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Yeah, under "Devices and Printers" uninstall the drivers and point to the usb drivers in the android sdk.

Thanks that fixed it !! ... Now how do I install SuperUser ?
Thibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
I too am having trouble with adb over usb. I followed directions on nookdevs site and downloaded the driver softward into c:\nookadbdriver. The android software is in c:\android. Android not recognizing the 1.5 driver. Please clarify -- I am not very savvy, but I had it working over wifi so this must be do-able. Where exactly should I place the driver software. Should it be in same directory as the android sdk, or within it? Or within the android sdk "tools" directory? Sorry, but I keep trying various combinations and I'm totally confused at this point. Oops - I do not have the color nook, but the old version.

Last edited by nabour; 12-05-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Point out my nook is not color
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote