Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
Kindle books as gift...finally?

Just logged on to Amazon this morning and noticed the give Kindle books as gift option. I'll have to gift myself something to test it....mmmm where to post my christmas list....
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Not on Amazon.co.uk yet :(

Looks like they are rolling it out on the .com site first, not showing on .co.uk yet.

Examples shown below for the same book in US and UK stores.

I'll be great if they get this live in the UK soon as I can just send my wish list out instead of a request for Amazon vouchers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureLion-com.PNG
Views:	1206
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	61449   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureLion-uk.PNG
Views:	936
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	61450  
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Ohhh I got excited for one minute

Hopefully they will roll it out to the UK soon otherwise hubby will just have to give me gift vouchers instead. Be nicer if he could actually pick out a selection of books.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

?

My family are all heading down to an outlet tomorrow for Christmas Shopping - Gunwharf Quays at Portsmouth - and we all have to send 'Christmas Lists' and 'Birthday Lists' each year. I'd like to just direct them to my Amazon wishlist and get them to buy one or two of the lots of Kindle books that are on there ...
Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
Sorry about that Worm and suecsi, couldn't test from outside the US (from work).

Ok tested it with gifting myself. You get an email with the link back to Amazon to accept the gift, rather painless process at first glance. I'll test with another account and see what happens....good excuse to add a couple more books to my Kindle...
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
And what about the darn copyright issues? For instance, can I gift a book from .com that is not ordinarily available to other countries?
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
suecsi
Rock Chick

Not sure how they'll handle that - they'll annoy a lot of people if Auntie Betty in Florida orders a Kindle book on Amazon.com for Susie in London and then when Susie in London logs in to her usual account, she gets some error message when downloading the book.

I have tried it with my US account under one email address and sending a gift to the email address I use for my UK account.

I have had the confirmation order for the US account but no 'gift link' yet in the UK account email.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick

OK - it doesn't work. If you sign in with the UK email address, it gives you the message on the right:-

You are signed in as
xxxx@gmail.com
Use a different Amazon account

This title is not available for customers from:
United Kingdom

Contact Customer Service to exchange for Gift Card

So you have to have an account registered on the .com site with the appropriate addresses etc to make this work.

I wanted this book anyway and it is cheaper in the US, so have accepted my own gift and now have to unregister and re-register Kindle4PC as I don't have any devices registered at Amazon.com any more since I moved to the UK site.

They'll need to clean that up as it wasn't that clear, certainly not for someone that is gifting items, they might not think to change the country thing to say UK or wherever.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
suecsi
Rock Chick

Update on Geo Restrictions with Kindle 'Gifting'

At the bottom of this page:-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200555070

Quote:

Eligibility to Redeem a Kindle Book Gift

Kindle book gift notifications can be sent to any e-mail address. If the giver and the recipient do not live in the same country, the book may not available to the recipient due to copyright restrictions. In these cases the recipient will be given the option to request an exchange for gift credit on their Amazon.com account during the redemption process, or they may contact Customer Service for assistance in exchanging the book.
I think they need to make this more obvious in the ordering process - not in the 'manual' - which, face it, lots of people wouldn't read. I just went looking for this.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Agreed. It needs to be really prominent during the purchasing process: "This book is restricted to the following countries.... If your recipient is outside these countries..."

(Although what I was really hoping was that gifting was going to be a way to get around geo-restrictions, since the person PURCHASING the book IS in the required country. It should be nobody's business who I then give the book to.)

(I expect this also means that I wouldn't be able to purchase a book for a recipient that's available in THEIR country but not MINE. At least not till they get their system better worked out.)

Last edited by hgwlackey; 11-19-2010 at 12:38 PM.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I do so feel for those of you with this problem. (Really -- no sarcasm intended.) At the same, time I have a heart bursting with joy -- at last, my kids have an alternative to gift cards so that I can get immediate gratification from my presents!

I'm looking forward to a long, lazy Christmas afternoon spent reading some newly downloaded books...
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think this is great news... and one of the two things that I have said is really missing from the Kindle eco system.

Now, if they do my second thing... wait... then I'll have nothing to complain about.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
Although what I was really hoping was that gifting was going to be a way to get around geo-restrictions, since the person PURCHASING the book IS in the required country. It should be nobody's business who I then give the book to.
I agree. Amazon is behaving as if the merchandise were contraband in the recipient's country.

If I buy a hardback book, I could ship it to England with no problem from the UK govt, right? It should be the same for eBooks.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
If I buy a hardback book, I could ship it to England with no problem from the UK govt, right? It should be the same for eBooks.
You're preaching to the choir.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
Just tried to gift my Belgian account a book with my US account and I also got the message that the book is not available in my region when I opened the Amazon gift link.

The weird thing is that the book is available for purchase in Belgium. Kind of bummed. I guess this means only people in my region can currently gift a book to me?

(Maybe I should use this as a sign that I need to move back to the US? )
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote