Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
zork40
zork40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Contrast

I've been thinking of getting an e-reader for awhile, but I'm wondering if contrast is an issue at all? I've noticed that due to the technology of e-ink, the background isn't a clear white but instead a light gray. For those that have a reader, is it easy to get used to that?
zork40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It is a very personal thing. But, the majority of people have no problem with it.

Some, can't get over it and claim eInk is "nothing like reading on paper".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have no issues with the contrast on Kindle 1 or Kindle 2. In fact, I have only read *one* paper book since I received my Kindle 1 last April (because it wasn't available as an ebook). I much prefer the reading experience of e-ink over paper. If you're looking at a Kindle (it's listed as your device), if you order it from Amazon, you have 30 days to play with it. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by zork40 View Post
I've been thinking of getting an e-reader for awhile, but I'm wondering if contrast is an issue at all? I've noticed that due to the technology of e-ink, the background isn't a clear white but instead a light gray. For those that have a reader, is it easy to get used to that?

Welcome to MobileRead, Zork.

I have a Kindle 1, and have never had a problem 'getting used to it.' It reads beautifully, no eye strain.

I have heard complaints about the Kindle 2, however, the contrasts doesn't seem to be a great.

However, may new owners also love their K's.......just remember you always have a 30 day, no questions asked guarantee. All you pay is return postage.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
zork40
zork40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Man, you guys are fast. Thanks for the info.
I have another question, but I'll post that in a new thread as it's unrelated.
zork40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert