Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #106
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Maybe in part, but I don't think that's the whole story. In part, it's because I think with any binge, what you're consuming starts to lose its savor and by slowing down I feel I appreciate it more.
My immediate reaction was: ice-cream yes, books no. For me there's a sort of inverted version of this: with binge reading my ear (or eye or brain or whatever) becomes attuned to the author's way of speaking and thinking and (I think) that this sometimes gets me deeper into what the author has created. (But I will also admit that this can backfire. For example, if I try to binge-read mysteries by one author they can become a little too obvious, and the characters to familiar/similar, for comfort.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Then there's the pleasure of anticipation. Finally, you can only read with virgin eyes once; never again will you have the pleasure of not knowing what's going to happen. Not that there isn't satisfaction in watching how a story develops when you know the outcome, but it's not the same seat-of-the-pants reaction a first read gets.
I can't argue with any of this, I totally agree (but I'd add that I can have both ).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #107
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've now read Mary Rose, which is one of the books I nominated, and, for what it's worth, I was mildly disappointed. It was OK, with some scary scenes, but somehow not quite scary enough. This is a book based on J. M. Barrie's play, which Hitchcock wanted but failed to film, and included an afterword about that.

Spoiler:
Part of my disappointment with the book stems from that afterword, since the descriptions therein make it quite clear that the novel did not follow Barrie's play or Hitchcock's vision (e.g., different character relationships), and it was those two names that had sparked my interest in the first place.

I am now listening to A Head Full of Ghosts, which I also nominated but which did not make it to vote. I like this one a lot better, at least so far; I've still got about a third of the book to go, so there's plenty of time for it to go pear-shaped. But I live in hope.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #108
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Good you are enjoying the second one, if not the first. I do hope you enjoy the du Maurier, as I seem to remember seeing somewhere on MR that you like her books.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #109
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Good you are enjoying the second one, if not the first. I do hope you enjoy the du Maurier, as I seem to remember seeing somewhere on MR that you like her books.
Thanks, I hope I do too! But I'm not a particular fan of Daphne du Maurier, beyond Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel, both of which I revisited in the past few years. I can't remember which of her works I read back in high school.

I finished A Headful of Ghosts. I liked it well enough to add Paul Tremblay's other books to my wish list, even though some of it didn't hang together for me. The audiobook narrator, Joy Osmanski, was terrific.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #110
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm about 2/3 through The House on the Strand and other than the casual homophobia (which I knew was going to be there), I am very interested.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #111
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks, I hope I do too! But I'm not a particular fan of Daphne du Maurier, beyond Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel, both of which I revisited in the past few years. I can't remember which of her works I read back in high school.

I finished A Headful of Ghosts. I liked it well enough to add Paul Tremblay's other books to my wish list, even though some of it didn't hang together for me. The audiobook narrator, Joy Osmanski, was terrific.
Ah, I must have seen some mention about those two of her books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm about 2/3 through The House on the Strand and other than the casual homophobia (which I knew was going to be there), I am very interested.
Unfortunately I suppose it goes with the period. I read the book when it was first published and while I remember enjoying it, I can't remember the details, so it will almost be like a first read for me.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote