Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #31
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Switched once but moved back to Kindle.
If Kobo opened their cloud to books I got from other sources I might reconsider...That‘s really the greatest downside in my opinion: it is infinitely more complicated to backup annotations on the Kobo.
My experience exactly, would switch back to kobo today if they fixed this issue.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #32
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I switched years ago and the typography improvements for sideloaded books alone are worth it.

Last edited by s4nder; 09-07-2018 at 02:18 PM.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #33
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I put some on my kobo with no issues
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #34
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
My experience exactly, would switch back to kobo today if they fixed this issue.
It's not an issue, it's a deliberate choice, and one I greatly appreciate. If I don't buy a book from Kobo, they have no business knowing about it.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:47 AM   #35
paultoon
Nameless Being

I switched from the basic Kindle to Kobo Touch. Wanted to like the Kobo but ridiculously slow response times (8 seconds to turn a page?) coupled with constant Wi-Fi disconnections and forgetting the password make the Kobo virtually unusable. Unfortunately the Touch is still stuck on 4.8.xx, hoping a firmware update might help resolve things but not confident. Back to Kindle for me...
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
It's not an issue, it's a deliberate choice, and one I greatly appreciate. If I don't buy a book from Kobo, they have no business knowing about it.
Amazon gives you the choice to send books to the Amazon Cloud, there's nothing that forces you to do it. I've got lots of side-loaded books on the Kindle, none of them have ever been "sent to Kindle" or reside on Amazon's servers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultoon View Post
I switched from the basic Kindle to Kobo Touch. Wanted to like the Kobo but ridiculously slow response times (8 seconds to turn a page?) coupled with constant Wi-Fi disconnections and forgetting the password make the Kobo virtually unusable. Unfortunately the Touch is still stuck on 4.8.xx, hoping a firmware update might help resolve things but not confident. Back to Kindle for me...
I don't know what kind of books you're reading (maybe PDFs or Manga?) but if you mean that it literally takes 8 seconds to turn a page (if you're using an ePub) there's definitely something very wrong with your specific Kobo Touch.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #38
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know what kind of books you're reading (maybe PDFs or Manga?) but if you mean that it literally takes 8 seconds to turn a page (if you're using an ePub) there's definitely something very wrong with your specific Kobo Touch.
Paultoon--either a problem with your specific Kobo Touch as rcentros says, or if you are trying to read an ePub, there could be corruption related to the specific book. Have you tried with more than one books see how it performs?

If your Touch is doing this for all ePub/kePub books, I'd suggest a factory restore. That will erase everything on your Kobo Touch and set it up like a new one.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #39
paultoon
Nameless Being

rcentros and dordale: Yes literally 8 seconds to turn a page. It begins fairly normally, 1 second to turn, then seems to get slower by the page, by the time I'm 10 pages in it's up to 8 seconds. I'm mainly reading Pocket articles, and it seems to happen on all of them, so not a particular file. I've tried a factory reset twice. Have to accept that the device is faulty I think.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
rcentros and dordale: Yes literally 8 seconds to turn a page. It begins fairly normally, 1 second to turn, then seems to get slower by the page, by the time I'm 10 pages in it's up to 8 seconds. I'm mainly reading Pocket articles, and it seems to happen on all of them, so not a particular file. I've tried a factory reset twice. Have to accept that the device is faulty I think.
Just tried some Pocket articles on my Touch and Glo. I paged through some that were more than 20 pages long with no problems. They were less than a second for most page turns. One did have some slower pages when there were some pictures, but still less than two seconds.

Maybe some examples would be a good idea. The slower one above is https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-heart-disease. And another is https://mobunited.wordpress.com/2016...ign=pockethits.

And just to check, exactly which device is it? I assumed from the first post it is on of the original Touch's, but which? There are three models. Mine is the first, the N905.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #41
Primus_Pilus
Supervillain Consultant
Primus_Pilus began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX 10.3, Kobo Aura ONE, Aura H2O
I have 900+ in Kindle from Amazon Store over the years and I'm getting very close to stopping my shopping there.

Currently I use Epubor to crack them and convert to EPUB
Upload that into Calibre for management and use #myshelves to setup collections on a Kobo Aura One, Kobo H2O and setup Collections using Calibre Companion on my Boox Note 10.3 that I just got.

Keep and deploy everything in epub to the devices and it works wonderfully.

That Kobo Store is REALLY tempting me after see Amazon banning multiple books today.
Primus_Pilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #42
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus_Pilus View Post
I have 900+ in Kindle from Amazon Store over the years and I'm getting very close to stopping my shopping there.

Currently I use Epubor to crack them and convert to EPUB
Upload that into Calibre for management and use #myshelves to setup collections on a Kobo Aura One,
Why use Epubor? If you install Apprentice Alf's free tools into Calibre, you can make this a simple single-step process. DRM will break as you import the file into Calibre.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #43
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

I've noticed this as well, though nothing as bad as 8 seconds. However, I only see it happen (with all articles) when I have 33 or more pages/screens of (unread) articles in my Pocket. So on my Clara that means >32*5 articles per page/screen, so >160 unread articles. How many do you have?

Obviously I'm trying to get through my reading backlog. I'm now down to 30 pages of articles [*someone* keeps adding more] and I see no page turn lags anymore.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I've noticed this as well, though nothing as bad as 8 seconds. However, I only see it happen (with all articles) ...
So this is an issue with Pocket articles? (I've never tried Pocket, I guess I should test it.)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #45
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So this is an issue with Pocket articles? (I've never tried Pocket, I guess I should test it.)

As far as I can see, yes. I've not come across any slow page turns in books (kepubs).

(Pocket is great! No more reading long articles on glare-y LCD screens!)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote