Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
[Android] CC 5.2.3.1 (Kindle Fire): Error opening OneDrive folder (New, Regression)

Ever since this latest update, I've been unable to connect to my Calibre folder on OneDrive. I've been using the same folder ever since CC first supported OneDrive, and not had problems. It first hit when I was on the road, and I tossed it off as hotel WiFi, but it's still a problem now that I'm back home. I can connect to the root OneDrive folder, but when I select the Kindle folder I get a permission denied error. (I have no problem connecting to the folder with a browser.) In the error, I notice that there is a spurious dot(".") In front of the folder name in the long connection string.

Is this a known problem? Is there a new Fire build coming?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FWIW: The latest release available on Amazon is 5.2.4.4. It has been there since 5/Feb so I don't know why you haven't seen it.

Nope, not a known problem. There haven't been any changes in the cloud code in months and Onedrive works for me.

You don't mention whether you are using an SD card. If so then you might be running into a rare problem where CC loses the privileges to write the app-private folder on the SD card. This shows up as an unexpected write error when saving the calibre database fetched from the cloud. We have seen this happen after OS (Android) upgrades.

You can tell CC not to store the cloud db on the SD card by going ot Settings / Connecting to calibre / Cloud Connection then checking the box "Save cloud cache in main memory". It things now work then we know that something has gone wrong with the SD card. If you aren't seeing any other problems then you might want to stick with this fix.

If you don't want to ignore it then sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling CC fixes it. Be sure to follow the steps in the FAQ [Android] How do I reinstall CC without losing all my book information? so you don't need to resend all the books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm on the SD card, so I suspect th at is the issue. The error does point to a permission problem.

I'll move it back to the main memory.

Not sure why I haven't gotten that update. I'm on automatic updates.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I went and manually downloaded the update, and installed. Still no improvement on the SD card. I'll try storing on main memory, but that's not an ideal solution. This thing has too little memory, frankly, and the SD card helps with that. But if that's the solution, then I'll do it. Report back later.

ETA: Moved to main memory, wiped the cache and all data, and restarted. Seems fine now. Not ideal, but I can live with it.

Last edited by CRussel; 02-14-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I went and manually downloaded the update, and installed. Still no improvement on the SD card. I'll try storing on main memory, but that's not an ideal solution. This thing has too little memory, frankly, and the SD card helps with that. But if that's the solution, then I'll do it. Report back later.

ETA: Moved to main memory, wiped the cache and all data, and restarted. Seems fine now. Not ideal, but I can live with it.
Glad it is working.

You need to completely uninstall and reinstall CC to fix it (and even then it might not). Installing an update won't do it. The reason: the app-private directory is created and permissions set when an app is installed. Subsequent app updates don't touch it.

Fortunately only the cached calibre DB and covers are moved. The books stay on the SD card. Depending on your use, these might total to a few megabytes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Fortunately only the cached calibre DB and covers are moved. The books stay on the SD card. Depending on your use, these might total to a few megabytes.
Ah. OK, that's no big deal then. I got a bit worried, with some of the books I keep on there being largish (computer books with lots of screen captures)