Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #4756
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmm... Now up to six books bought in September already.
Seven. Another wishlist book turned up.

I'm currently resisting the Phoenix Pick offer, as I don't think I'd get around to re-reading the books before they offer them again, in two or three years time!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #4757
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The new Longmire book Depth of Winter is out tomorrow and I will be buying it. At $14.99 it is expensive for an ebook, but Craig Johnson is one of the authors I am willing to pay full price for. Luckily I have accumulated quite a few credits with Amazon by choosing the slow shipping method.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #4758
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
It’s my bday tomorrow. Got a $50 Amazon gift card. Purchased Crazy Rich Asians, Flowers for Algenon and a Dean Koontz book The name escapes me tho lolL also Acceptance from Jeff Vandermeer
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #4759
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Seven. Another wishlist book turned up.

I'm currently resisting the Phoenix Pick offer, as I don't think I'd get around to re-reading the books before they offer them again, in two or three years time!
Oh, but Paul, The Warlock In Spite of Himself is a very good book! I bought it full price as soon as I found it in ebook form (I had to sell all my paper copies since I couldn't read them any longer). Ok, torment done.

So far, no problems for September. I have one credit to use at Audible before the 10th, but that's about it. If I can go a couple of months with minimal purchases, there is a chance, although a small one, that I might come out even on my TBR by the end of November.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #4760
evirtue
evirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura One-Kobo Glo HD
I have kindle ppw,kobo glo hd and pocketbook touch hd atm.
About 5 more devices I owned before and sold.

And thousands of ebooks on them...

The problem is I cant start reading on any of devices although I have plenty of time.
But I want to read a lot and lose myself in books. Disturbing thoughts arise and I find myself putting away the device.

Please any help is appreciated.
evirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #4761
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Oh, but Paul, The Warlock In Spite of Himself is a very good book! I bought it full price as soon as I found it in ebook form (I had to sell all my paper copies since I couldn't read them any longer). Ok, torment done.
If only they had done a better job of removing the scenes that were removed for political correctness. For instance, there were a couple of pages between "They weren’t asking precision from the beggars, just wanted them to get out and beat up the enemy." and "“Waken, Rod Gallowglass!” Something jarred his shoulder." in the book which disappeared in the ebook leaving the comment by Rod later about “So you made double sure, did you? Well, all the better.” orphaned.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-16-2018 at 09:27 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #4762
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=DNSB;3744633][QUOTE=Tarana;3744613]Oh, but Paul, The Warlock In Spite of Himself is a very good book! I bought it full price as soon as I found it in ebook form (I had to sell all my paper copies since I couldn't read them any longer). Ok, torment done.
Quote:

If only they had done a better job of removing the scenes that were removed for political correctness. For instance, there were a couple of pages between "They weren’t asking precision from the beggars, just wanted them to get out and beat up the enemy." and "“Waken, Rod Gallowglass!” Something jarred his shoulder." in the book which disappeared in the ebook leaving the comment by Rod later about “So you made double sure, did you? Well, all the better.” orphaned.
As luck would have it, I have an old scanned copy in .lit form and yes, you are right! Some stuff is missing. Don't know if it is PC (probably) or accidental, but I find it offensive that they changed it and called it 'original.' I expect the ecopy to be the same as the printed book, warts and all. If it offends me, I can zap it myself.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #4763
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evirtue View Post
I have kindle ppw,kobo glo hd and pocketbook touch hd atm.
About 5 more devices I owned before and sold.

And thousands of ebooks on them...

The problem is I cant start reading on any of devices although I have plenty of time.
But I want to read a lot and lose myself in books. Disturbing thoughts arise and I find myself putting away the device.

Please any help is appreciated.
If you repeatedly try to do something from which you normally get enjoyment and it isn't working, it's time to either see a doc or a counselor. Anxiety is the most common problem that prevents concentration. Reading is not a passive activity, so it's fairly common that if you are feeling disturbed, your reading will suffer for it.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #4764
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=Tarana;3744638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quote:
As luck would have it, I have an old scanned copy in .lit form and yes, you are right! Some stuff is missing. Don't know if it is PC (probably) or accidental, but I find it offensive that they changed it and called it 'original.' I expect the ecopy to be the same as the printed book, warts and all. If it offends me, I can zap it myself.
It was PC. At the time, there was evidently some thought about removing the haystack scene with Gwendolyn and Rod according some discussion in Cholly's Tavern. Whilst spanking a queen might have been acceptable in 1968, it was not considered acceptable in 2011. Lèse-majesté and all that.

I simply restored the scene from a old paperback copy of the book.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #4765
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got more money for my birthday and purchased about 4 audiobook companions for my existing books: The President is Missing, The Fountains of Paradise, Shogun, The Regulators, The Talisman and one other
Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #4766
HLS
Wizard

I bought Origin by Dan Brown not realizing it was book 5 in a series so I purchased the 1st four, so far in September I bought Inferno, Angels&Demons, The Di Vinci Code, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Texas Ranger, 3rd Degree, Invisible , Instinct by James Patterson. Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C Clark. Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer. Talisman, Insomnia, Black House by Stephen King. Some books of the Vampire Diaries. Fetching Raymond and Calico Joe by John Grisham. What the Night Knows, Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz. Other books: The Grapes of Wrath, Brighton. Needless to say i went a tad overboard. I’m sure there is more that I’m forgetting. And I purchased a lot of audio companions
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #4767
Tarana
Wizard

Wow! You got a LOT of birthday money. Congrats.

I too want to read the Dan Brown series but have been holding out for a sale on the first book. My library doesn't have it and I already have book 2 (freebee!).

I'm doing well so far this month. Did get 2 audiobooks with credits that I already had before I lost them (you can only have 6). Both were used to fill-in on series that I enjoy.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-16-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #4768
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I fell for a couple of those damn Kobo sales and bought 4 books this month. Plus I got one with super points which I read. So y'all aren't the only ones buying books. lol
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #4769
Tarana
Wizard

Had to use some Audible credits, but limited it to getting books in series that I'm already reading.

I've been trying to do a definitive TBR that includes both ebooks and audiobooks without duplication (with Wispersync, I sometimes have both). Not done yet, but it really helped me NOT buy anything this month. Ouch. I could easily be reading steadily for 5 years and not finish them all. That doesn't even count the magazines. I think I need to stop watching Netflix.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-28-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:27 AM   #4770
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I think I need to stop watching Netflix.
And then you'll have more money to buy books!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote