Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
Momo03
Momo03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help needed: Firmware defective, no amazon-login possible

Hello!

Some two years ago I have acquired a used, "defective" PW2-3G for a small price.

The "defect" is that the device cannot login to amazon.

After entering the credentials it tries to connect and says

Unable to connect
There was an error while registering your kindle. Please try again later.

It's possible to use the device-internet-browser to create a new amazon-account, but it's impossible to login to this account afterwards.

Amazon-Support was really nice and tried for several days to help me overcome that, asking me to create several logfiles and sending me several patchfiles in return, but finally they gave up.

Is there any way to rewrite the COMPLETE firmware incl. all initial parameters, to really really bring a Kindle PW2-3G to a REAL out-of-box-state?

I have just downgraded the device to 5.4.3.2 and successfully installed the Jailbreak, so I decided to give the problem another try, asking here for help.
It's not crucial, I am using Calibre to organize my ebooks, but there are some account-dependant functions I would like to use (wikipedia, dictionaries, etc.)
Momo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
stmusic
Enthusiast
stmusic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Fake-register your Paperwhite 5.2.x to use collections and other blocked features
stmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
The current firmware is probably too old. Newer firmware is required to register. Try downloading the latest firmware and upgrading. Don't worry, your jailbreak will survive. DO NOT factory reset. Just upgrade your currently jailbroken kindle with the latest firmware.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Once blacklisted, always blacklisted.
Not even Amazon customer support can change that about your Kindle.

A "Completely" new firmware would have serial number and other identifiers that Amazon does not have a record of - which would result in the device being blacklisted (again, in its new configuration) the first time it connects.
OR
The serial number and other identifiers would be ones that Amazon does have a record of -
Which would result in the blacklisting of both your device and the one it duplicates.

Next time, just don't buy a blacklisted device, the system can not be beat.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Momo03

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not even Amazon customer support can change that about your Kindle.[...]
Thanks, that has been my first thought when I bought it. I actually thought that there is some kinde of "region-block" and that the device has come through sark channels from another area in the world.
But the support reassured me several times that the problem is not related to any kind of status of the serial-number or any kind of device-ID.
Maybe they don't know about the existence of such a "blacklist"...

@JimmyR: I ran this PW2-Kindle on the latest firmware ever since I bought it until a few days ago when I jailbroke it. I left it at the downgraded state for now (thinking that maybe the solution to my problem requires the downgrade)

@stmusic: The support kindly registered the PW2 with it's serial-number to my account when they tried to solve the problem. I will try to follow the link you supplied to make the PW2 think it's registered, too.

Last edited by Momo03; 09-05-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo03 View Post
@JimmyR: I ran this PW2-Kindle on the latest firmware ever since I bought it until a few days ago when I jailbroke it. I left it at the downgraded state for now (thinking that maybe the solution to my problem requires the downgrade)
When you say latest firmware, which version do you mean? Downgrading isn't possible with the latest firmware versions, apart from serial jailbreaking.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
Momo03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
When you say latest firmware, which version do you mean? Downgrading isn't possible with the latest firmware versions, apart from serial jailbreaking.
Good Question, and I was imprecise here. It was the (then) latest version that the PW2 automatically updated to when I bought it some 18 months ago. I have not connected it to the internet ever since.

In the meantime I have updated it to the NOW latest version, because the downgrade-thread stated that the JB would survive an update even to 5.7.something, but it seems that it either lost the JB or the USBnetworking, because ";un" is not doing anything and the kindle is still connected as mass drive. So it seems that I won't be able to fake-register it.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

When you update the firmware, the JB does survive but you have to reinstall any mobileread packages.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:43 AM   #9
Momo03

Hm. I copied the USB-networking .bin to the root-directory, but the update-option stays greyed out. So I guess I will have to try other methods of installing. I will read up on that, but that will take some time (or days)
Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #10
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Later firmware versions require MRPI for package installation:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251143

Latest snapshot is here under KUAL & KUAL extensions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #11
Momo03

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I can free up some time
Old 09-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not even Amazon customer support can change that about your Kindle.

A "Completely" new firmware would have serial number and other identifiers that Amazon does not have a record of - which would result in the device being blacklisted (again, in its new configuration) the first time it connects.
OR
The serial number and other identifiers would be ones that Amazon does have a record of -
Which would result in the blacklisting of both your device and the one it duplicates.

Just because it can't register doesn't mean it is blacklisted. I have had Kindles before that were not blacklisted, but they still couldn't register. Actually Amazon customer support can remove the blacklist if they feel like it. It is against their policy if you are not the original person who blacklisted it, but they can do it even if you are not.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Thanks for writing about device blacklisting. My previous Koa2 was stolen at a train station back in February. The kind staff at amazon blacklisted the device.

Ofc I will not get it back, but at least it will be an annoyance to the thief.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote