Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #61
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Adios mi viejo amigo.

It's tough out here in the wilderness, blazing new trails, but I will keep trekking until something happens to my augmented 710. Indians, blizzards, gigantic lizards, machine failures or the like.
On my wife's C710 I have installed Crouton Ubuntu Xenial which has about 4 years support. I just leave the chroot running all the time and will update and restart as needed. It runs fine using Xfce4 desktop.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #62
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
On my wife's C710 I have installed Crouton Ubuntu Xenial which has about 4 years support. I just leave the chroot running all the time and will update and restart as needed. It runs fine using Xfce4 desktop.
I thought about doing something similar when I first got the Acer Chromebook 710-2487, but as of yet, it seems to be doing fine in it's original form.

Note I did add 2 more GB and chose one with a 320GB HDD. I am well satisfied so far though I have had to work around the Google refusal to copy youtube files which is a practical thing, and the more or less esoteric printer scheme which is not a real bother but does rankle some.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #63
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I thought about doing something similar when I first got the Acer Chromebook 710-2487, but as of yet, it seems to be doing fine in it's original form.

Note I did add 2 more GB and chose one with a 320GB HDD. I am well satisfied so far though I have had to work around the Google refusal to copy youtube files which is a practical thing, and the more or less esoteric printer scheme which is not a real bother but does rankle some.
You have the option down the road to flash the bios and use that Chromebook as a normal computer. I will eventually do that. The biggest thing is setting a jumper across the write screw to enable flashing the bios. I don't need to fool with it yet, but eventually will make the 710 a full-fledged Linux computer. That 710 is an odd duck that was first meant to run windows and converted into a Chromebook, so it has a full hard drive, expandable ram, normal keyboard, what you would expect in a regular laptop.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
You have the option down the road to flash the bios and use that Chromebook as a normal computer. I will eventually do that. The biggest thing is setting a jumper across the write screw to enable flashing the bios. I don't need to fool with it yet, but eventually will make the 710 a full-fledged Linux computer. That 710 is an odd duck that was first meant to run windows and converted into a Chromebook, so it has a full hard drive, expandable ram, normal keyboard, what you would expect in a regular laptop.
I did that to one of my 710s. Its a perfectly adequate little machine. I use iit as my main downstairs laptop. My second 710 stays at my office in its default state, so i can check personal email and browse the web during breaks.
My third 710 was a linux dual boot, but we restored it to default, and other that hooking it to the TV to show chordd and lyrics once a month at my jam sessions, it's basically just a spare.

The only problem i have with the seabios flashed linux box, is every time i've upgraded the os, the jumpy trackpad issue comes back, and i havent figured out how to fix it this last time yet.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #65
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I did that to one of my 710s. Its a perfectly adequate little machine. I use iit as my main downstairs laptop. My second 710 stays at my office in its default state, so i can check personal email and browse the web during breaks.
My third 710 was a linux dual boot, but we restored it to default, and other that hooking it to the TV to show chordd and lyrics once a month at my jam sessions, it's basically just a spare.

The only problem i have with the seabios flashed linux box, is every time i've upgraded the os, the jumpy trackpad issue comes back, and i havent figured out how to fix it this last time yet.
Sorry to hear that about the trackpad issue.
Advert