Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
Page numbering Libra is different

Is is a bug, or is it the new firmware? If I open the same book on three different Kobo's, Kobo Glo HD says on first chapter "9 of 379", Kobo H2O 2 says exactly the same, but Kobo Libra says "8 of 582". Glo HD is on firmware 4.15.12920, H2O2 same as the Glo HD, and the Libra is on 4.17.13651

It's annoying to me, because I want to be able to continue reading on a different e-reader without having to search around for the right page. I hope it will sort itself out once the firmware is updated, and that they will display the same page number on the different devices.
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
It's the new firmware. What happened is that the page count for the entire book for kepub files is now counted as actual screens/page turns (basically, what they've always used with chapters) instead of using Adobe page numbers. If you want to have similar numbers you'll have to update your older devices, though you'll need to consider that different screen sizes may mean that each device has a slightly different page count for the same book.
mathil is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
It's the new firmware. What happened is that the page count for the entire book for kepub files is now counted as actual screens/page turns (basically, what they've always used with chapters) instead of using Adobe page numbers. If you want to have similar numbers you'll have to update your older devices, though you'll need to consider that different screen sizes may mean that each device has a slightly different page count for the same book.
Omg finally. I’m so happy about that.

It doesn’t seem to work though for “illegal” ePubs.
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Thank you for your answer. I don't like this new page numbering. I was happy with the way it was. But of course there is always the option to turn on Adobe page numbering on the right side of the page, I tried that but that doesn't seem to work. It looks like there is no easy way of going from one e-reader to the other one without having to search around for the right page.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
Thank you for your answer. I don't like this new page numbering. I was happy with the way it was. But of course there is always the option to turn on Adobe page numbering on the right side of the page, I tried that but that doesn't seem to work. It looks like there is no easy way of going from one e-reader to the other one without having to search around for the right page.
The page counting for epubs has not changed. That uses the Adobe RMSDK page counting and is the closest thing too a standard page number that we have. But, it assumes the same book constructed and compressed in the same way. Any device or app that uses the Adobe RMSDK will probably use this this page counting method.

If the Adobe page numbering isn't working on a Kobo device, it means the book isn't loaded as an epub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
My Clara's page count is not consistent per screen. Every few screens, the page count might increase 2 instead of 1. For example, I'm in one long chapter of a book where it begins on page 312. 27 pages in, I'm on page 345 (instead of 339). When I noticed this, I went back and started going one page at a time and saw the above behavior.

This is on FW 4.17.13694. All of my books were originally epub converted once in calibre, then converted to kepub on the fly when sent to the Clara.

I also see that the checkbox for Show Adobe EPUB Page Numbers has no effect. The implication here seems to be that the setting only works for epub. But this worked for kepub on FW 4.15.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
I also see that the checkbox for Show Adobe EPUB Page Numbers has no effect. The implication here seems to be that the setting only works for epub. But this worked for kepub on FW 4.15.

Are you sure about that? I haven't tested this feature in 4.15, but it certainly never worked with Kepub in the past.

I have noticed that the kepub page count is not perfectly synchronized to screen... I figure that getting it perfect would require a virtual rendering of every page every time a display setting was changed, (ie, it would be prohibitively expensive,), so Kobo is doing a 'back of napkin' estimate on how many characters/lines fit per page
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Are you sure about that? I haven't tested this feature in 4.15, but it certainly never worked with Kepub in the past.
Yes, I'm sure. I don't think it worked for chapters, but it definitely worked for the full book. I have only kepub on my Clara, and I had Adobe page numbers with the previous FW.

So what's the deal now? It should NOT work for kepub?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure. I don't think it worked for chapters, but it definitely worked for the full book. I have only kepub on my Clara, and I had Adobe page numbers with the previous FW.

So what's the deal now? It should NOT work for kepub?
I have never seen the Adobe page numbers displayed for kepubs. I believe they are actually put there by the Adobe RMSDK. This only used for epubs and PDF, so no other formats should show them. And, to test something else, I just put one of my devices back to 4.15.12920. They are there for epubs if I turn them on, but not for kepubs.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:20 AM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I think Phil_C was under the impression that Show Adobe EPUB Page Numbers affected the algorithm used to calculate pages when progress was set to Whole Book.. (That option actually had no effect.. Kepub files always used a code size algorithm similar, but slightly different, from Adobe page numbers. That has changed with the new firmware.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Phil_C
Addict

Well, that's interesting. I'm new to Kobo and my Clara had 4.15 from the start. I never sent epub to it, only kepub via calibre. And I clearly remember switching back and forth between two types of page numbers with the checkbox in Reading Settings, trying to compare them. I'm not sure if that was before or after patching, but I think it was after.

I suppose I could go back and see what I find, but it's probably not worth it. And going to all epub will lose some functions as I understand it.

So I'm using the page count plugin and a plugboard to send Adobe page numbers to the Book Details. I just like to have an idea of a more "realistic" number of pages in a book before I start reading it.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I think the other 2 are talking about something different to what you are referring to. You mean the basic page numbers shown on the header/footer. They are referring to the option to show EPUB page numbers as a small number on the right side of the screen on the line where the "page break" would occur in an epub book (so it might be half way up the page or on any other given line). This is only available in EPUB format books on the device and is toggled by the option rashkae mentioned. IIRC when you chose an option in a KEPUB to show pages as total of the book (rather than per chapter) it used the EPUB calcs to come up with that. I could be wrong. Oh, and to confuse things further: the EPUB page numbers might be slightly different to EPUB pages on a different device since different compression algorithms can result in slight differences in character count.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Phil_C
Addict

Yes, I am referring to the footer which would show something like "page 52 of 356". My recollection is that those numbers changed depending on the checkbox in Reading Settings.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
Bobbe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The page counting for epubs has not changed. That uses the Adobe RMSDK page counting and is the closest thing too a standard page number that we have. But, it assumes the same book constructed and compressed in the same way. Any device or app that uses the Adobe RMSDK will probably use this this page counting method.

If the Adobe page numbering isn't working on a Kobo device, it means the book isn't loaded as an epub.
Thank you for your answer, I use KoboTouchExtended to sent books to the kobo with Calibre, in order to be able to turn off the ugly hyphenation. KoboTouchExteded converts the epubs to kepubs, therefore no Adobe page numbering on the side. I guess I have to live with the changes to the page numbering in the new firmware.

Last edited by Bobbe; 09-22-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I am referring to the footer which would show something like "page 52 of 356". My recollection is that those numbers changed depending on the checkbox in Reading Settings.
Before 4.17.x, the full book page numbers for kepubs was calculated differently to the per-chapter page numbers. Now, they are both calculated the same using screen per page and recalculated when the font settings are changed. There is no way to get the previous full book method.

And the "Show Adobe EPUB Page Numbers" never had an effect on the page numbering for kepubs. It only added an extra display of the page numbers when reading epubs.

Tags
libra, page numbering