Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I had no idea there was a 'new' John Locke. Doh... I read the title I and I thought... well, at least people are getting an education...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #17
Stoneforger
Connoisseur
Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stoneforger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I must say I'm jealous

It probably has nothing to do with how good his books are (I'm not a fan of the genre), but rather how good he is in marketing. I'm not sure exactly how he did, and I am trying to have some tangible measure of success with my own novel, but unfortunately if you just want to sell it seems there are quite a few ways to exploit the market, possibly at the expense of other writers.

There's the cover, as someone pointed out, the initial boost from fellow authors' reviews, good site linking, tweets, amazon, boards, you name it. I don't know how he did exactly, even though he seems to offer an undetailed account of it, but it kind of reminds me the million pixel page.

Yeah ok, he sold a million pixels (or e-books), but what then? That can't go on forever. And it definetely cannot be repeated, at least not in the same marketing-trick-exploit fashion.

As I said, I haven't read his work but I'm simply saying he definetely seems to be a lot better at marketing than at writing (I even think he implicitly somehow agrees on that himself).

Even the pen name was chosen carefully (the philosopher and the Lost character are still the top google results).

In itself it is a feat, but not a feat of writing.
Stoneforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Since I never heard of him I looked him up at Goodreads. I'm going to pass on Mr Locke.
I have read a bit of one of his books.

When I saw your post I went to Goodreads to see the reviews, and I see that I will use Goddreads reviews much more often ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I'm happy for the author (never heard of him before) and I'm a little surprised at how quickly the obligatory Sour Grapes post hit.

Good on Mr. Locke; it's an inspiration to the rest of us and (hopefully) yet one more wake-up call to the publishing giants.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneforger View Post
It probably has nothing to do with how good his books are (I'm not a fan of the genre), but rather how good he is in marketing. I'm not sure exactly how he did
And thus the role of a good publisher. An author could contract out the art work. Contract out the marketing. Contract out the distribution. Etc. The author may have skills in some of those areas and do them for himself.

The role of the publisher is to be the single point of contact leaving the author free to write. If you go without a publisher, you have to pick up those responsibilities yourself.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
And thus the role of a good publisher. An author could contract out the art work. Contract out the marketing. Contract out the distribution. Etc. The author may have skills in some of those areas and do them for himself.

The role of the publisher is to be the single point of contact leaving the author free to write. If you go without a publisher, you have to pick up those responsibilities yourself.

Lee
I spoke to a new author yesterday that I've been following since her ABNA 2010 excerpt caught my eye. Her newly published book is a SciFi story called "Don't Feed the Fairies".

The publisher who picked her up hired an artist who didn't even read the blurb and whipped up a "Tinkerbell" fairy in 10 minutes. When the author pointed out that the cover didn't fit the content AT ALL (her "fairy" is a punk rocker type of girl with short pink hair and no wings), the publisher told her to bite them. Politely, of course. She was welcome to "do better" if she could.

She had to find a new artist on the fly to get a proper cover that wouldn't cause reader-rage of the WTF COVER?! variety. And she had to do it under the gun with regards to time constraints.

True story, take it for what you will.

Oh, and before you say this is a rare occurrence or something that only indie authors have to put up with... This book here? The woman on the cover is supposed to be BLOND. It's even a plot point that her hair is blond. Poor Mercedes Lackey.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-22-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
True story, take it for what you will.
Another point proven by an irrefutable anecdote.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Oh come on! Atrocious cover art that doesn't represent the story has been an author complaint for eons. That's one anecdote sure - believe it or not. Talk to any author's group however and they'll give you a bunch more.

As far as Publishers doing it all for the authors leaving them free to write. You might want to explain that to Margaret Atwood - who strongly addressed in her Tools of Change keynote address the expectation on the modern author to handle publicity and marketing with little to no help from the publisher.

And I'd venture to guess that Margaret Atwood is probably at the high end of authors attracting Publisher care. The mid-list to no name authors often feel blessed to get their phone calls returned.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
... and I'm a little surprised at how quickly the obligatory Sour Grapes post hit.
There are obviously at least several hundred thousand people that like him, and there are people that don't. See his reviews. They are pretty polarised.

Go ahead, start reading one of his books and see for yourself.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Oh come on! Atrocious cover art that doesn't represent the story has been an author complaint for eons. That's one anecdote sure - believe it or not. Talk to any author's group however and they'll give you a bunch more.

As far as Publishers doing it all for the authors leaving them free to write. You might want to explain that to Margaret Atwood - who strongly addressed in her Tools of Change keynote address the expectation on the modern author to handle publicity and marketing with little to no help from the publisher.

And I'd venture to guess that Margaret Atwood is probably at the high end of authors attracting Publisher care. The mid-list to no name authors often feel blessed to get their phone calls returned.
Well, I mean, sure!! That's my POINT, for leebase to breeze in and casually talk up publisher love because publishers coddle authors and take care of them and handle all that "art stuff" is SILLY.

I love Margaret Atwood.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #26
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There are obviously at least several hundred thousand people that like him, and there are people that don't. See his reviews. They are pretty polarised.

Go ahead, start reading one of his books and see for yourself.
I was referring to a post above that seemed to basically say his accomplishment was meaningless because he had a pretty cover, a pretty name, and a pretty price. And that lightning wouldn't strike twice and he's a better marketer than a writer, and......... I think you get the point.

You don't like his work, you don't like it. That's fine with me. My comment wasn't directed at you.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
And I think that the "sour grapes" isn't even really reflected on this board. There has been a bit of grumbling lately coming from the traditional publishing establishment about the popularity of the low cost Indie Published book - not to mention that "sale" that Amazon just ran on a whole slew of non-Agency priced books where a bunch of prices dropped down to Indie levels. We're right back to the "How dare the devalue the perception of literature!" again.

I don't think it's any co-incidence that Hatchette, MacMillan and Harper Collins have all put a pretty big list on sale at around $2.99. There's a huge market of book buyers down in that lower price range there isn't going to be a void of sellers willing to make money from them - whether they're "Indie" or traditionally published.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
And I think that the "sour grapes" isn't even really reflected on this board. There has been a bit of grumbling lately coming from the traditional publishing establishment about the popularity of the low cost Indie Published book - not to mention that "sale" that Amazon just ran on a whole slew of non-Agency priced books where a bunch of prices dropped down to Indie levels. We're right back to the "How dare the devalue the perception of literature!" again.

I don't think it's any co-incidence that Hatchette, MacMillan and Harper Collins have all put a pretty big list on sale at around $2.99. There's a huge market of book buyers down in that lower price range there isn't going to be a void of sellers willing to make money from them - whether they're "Indie" or traditionally published.
I know that sale got me to buy 3 books that I, uh, could have gotten from the library.

And, no, I haven't read them yet, so it's not like it was PRESSING.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #29
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Is there a way to search for these sales? I've not seen any significant price drops in any of the books that I have on my wish list.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #30
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I bought a couple from Kobo with the $1 off coupons - but I've yet to read the books.
I did exactly the same. The books were 99 cents at Kobo and I used $1 off coupons so I got them for free. I haven't read them yet so I wonder how many of these 1 million books were actually paid for or read? After looking at a few reviews the books slipped to the bottom of my TBR list into the maybe I will - maybe I won't pile.

I suppose it's still an achievement to have 1 million books downloaded even if people didn't pay for them and haven't bothered reading them.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote