Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #61
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
No. I think it can be done so as to achieve acceptable results in most but not all cases, but would be so time consuming as to be not worth the effort. .

Well, thank you for agreeing with me. You just repeated everything I said using different words.

Except for the time consuming part.

Quote:
And it would certainly take a level of coding skill which I expect is well beyond your abilities.
You can expect whatever you like. I already have gauged your level, as I said.

Quote:
As fjtorres put it in his earlier post:
Yea, he pretty much demonstrated that he had completely overthought the problem. There's no need for me to write my own pdf extractor when I can use the tools that already exist. That's why it's called a "script".

Quote:
He also explained further and set out a challene. You have failed to properly address the reasons he gave and it seems you don't understand them. The challenge, of course, you have declined for an obvious reason, and that is not your stated one.

Good luck.
What challenge was that? I addressed his reasons pretty thoroughly since he so far hasn't seen fit or isn't able to address my words himself.

Of course, that's probably the whole reason you saw fit to engage me, since you saw your little buddy getting wrecked.

I have declined said challenge and it is for my stated reason. You are welcome to think otherwise.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #62
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Boys, you think it's worth arguing with someone who clearly needs a psychiatrist?
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #63
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Boys, you think it's worth arguing with someone who clearly needs a psychiatrist?
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
-- Aristotle
Old 09-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #64
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
@sealbeater:

With the amount of time you have spent posting to this thread you could've written your wonder-script by now.

Seriously, if you really can do such a good job in a short space of time it could be the best financial decision that you could make. A couple of days worth of your time could silence all the doubters and you would be well recompensed.

If you don't need the money then think of the satisfaction gained. If you don't need this kind of satisfaction then do it for altruistic reasons as a service to the e-reading community.

Don't even give up your day job yet, just take a couple of days vacation and write your script.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In my experience, a good OCR tool such as Abbyy FineReader does the best job of producing a decent conversion of a PDF. Generally a lot better than those which attempt to extract text from the PDF itself. Of course no OCR is perfect, and a proofing/editing run through the converted file is essential.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #66
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
@sealbeater:

With the amount of time you have spent posting to this thread you could've written your wonder-script by now.
But i choose not to. What's your point?

Quote:
Seriously, if you really can do such a good job in a short space of time it could be the best financial decision that you could make.
I disagree. I'm in a better position to make my own financial decisions than you. I'm sure you would agree as you are speaking from a position of complete ignorance regarding my finances.

Quote:
A couple of days worth of your time could silence all the doubters and you would be well recompensed.
I couldn't care less what doubters think. Let them doubt. I have found the opinions of most people to be worthless.

As for being well recompensed, when you are already in a position of financial security, one requires interest to motivate ones actions, not money. You are assuming i have a couple of days worth of time that can't be better spent doing something else. I have no need to convert pdfs so, what's my motivation? Proving something to you? Please, doubt me.

Quote:
If you don't need the money then think of the satisfaction gained. If you don't need this kind of satisfaction then do it for altruistic reasons as a service to the e-reading community.
There would be no satisfaction gained. It would be tainted by the thought that I jumped though a hoop at the behest of a bunch of forum readers. That just reeks of...fish smell, if you know what I mean. It's just not my bag.

Quote:
Don't even give up your day job yet, just take a couple of days vacation and write your script.
No. I've taken a position and I'm standing firm. I could...but I won't. Let the naysayers bark.

Last edited by sealbeater; 09-06-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: a word
Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #67
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Generally a lot better than those which attempt to extract text from the PDF itself. Of course no OCR is perfect, and a proofing/editing run through the converted file is essential.
Have you much experience extracting txt from pdfs? I have ocr to not be as good as extracting text. As I already stated, most pdfs come in two flavors, images of txt and the actual txt itself. The actual txt itself is as good as the pdf source is. Going further, extracting to xml yields so far, the best results when it comes to preserving layout but I haven't played much with converting to Postscript..yet.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #68
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
@sealbeater:
If you don't need this kind of satisfaction then do it for altruistic reasons as a service to the e-reading community.
Sorry, I realized I failed to address this point. First off, the people who could use and would appreciate my script don't need me to write it. Second off, I have no interest in being "altruistic" to the "e-reading community", whatever that is. You guys are like minnows who think you are whales. Better, slaves who think you are free. Do yourself a favor. Remove yourself from the need to concern yourself with e-book formats. You'll find your e-book reading experience to be much smoother.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
... You are assuming i have a couple of days worth of time ...
From 20 minutes to a couple of days?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:05 AM   #70
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Everyone knows the theory. Please don't feed!
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #71
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
From 20 minutes to a couple of days?
As I already stated, the 20 minutes was an estimate of effort, not time. In addition, I'm replying to someone who said "couple of days" so it makes sense that I would include their estimate in my reply.

Reading comprehension.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #72
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
As I already stated, the 20 minutes was an estimate of effort, not time. In addition, I'm replying to someone who said "couple of days" so it makes sense that I would include their estimate in my reply.

Reading comprehension.
No, it wouldn't make sense to say you don't have "a couple of days" of free time when you said it would take "20 minutes". Either you are conceding that it would take a couple of days and you don't have the time, or it would take you 20 minutes and you don't want to do it.

Consistency.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #73
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Have you much experience extracting txt from pdfs? I have ocr to not be as good as extracting text. As I already stated, most pdfs come in two flavors, images of txt and the actual txt itself. The actual txt itself is as good as the pdf source is. Going further, extracting to xml yields so far, the best results when it comes to preserving layout but I haven't played much with converting to Postscript..yet.
The mistake is the assumption that the pdf you want to convert comes with text inside, only because most do. The correct approach would be to always start full page images, then run them with OCR, then afterwards extract the text from PDF to improve the OCR results. Universal script with overall best results - as soon as a step fails you are done with the best automatic result.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #74
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The mistake is the assumption that the pdf you want to convert comes with text inside, only because most do. The correct approach would be to always start full page images, then run them with OCR, then afterwards extract the text from PDF to improve the OCR results. Universal script with overall best results - as soon as a step fails you are done with the best automatic result.

No assumptions being made, pdfs are either one or the other and I don't disagree, you would have to do a 2 stage run on the pdf to get the best automatic result. However, I've never seen a pdf that had both.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #75
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No, it wouldn't make sense to say you don't have "a couple of days" of free time when you said it would take "20 minutes". Either you are conceding that it would take a couple of days and you don't have the time, or it would take you 20 minutes and you don't want to do it.

Consistency.
Read the thread. As anther person did, you are making the mistake of mixing my original words with my responses to others words.

If I say it would take me 20 minutes, I've already stated in the thread that that was hyperbole representing the effort needed.

When someone says:

Quote:
A couple of days worth of your time could silence all the doubters and you would be well recompensed.
I naturally responded that I don't have a couple of days worth of time in response to this.

Reading comprehension. It would serve you well.