Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
famousboot
famousboot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Comic Book / Graphic Novels: problems

There's an app in the App Store simply called "Comics" and according to reviews, it has some showstopper problems. Sometimes you cant download a comic book you just purchased. Other times and in such cases, you have to completely uninstall and re-download your entire collection to fix the bug. This sounds very half-baked to me and not something I want to get involved with. Not yet.

There are always the .CBR (Comic Book Reader) files you can find elsewhere on the Net. You can convert them to .MOBI format using an application called Calibre. Problem then, is that the images don't scale very well and you end up with tiny dialogue and text you can't read.

Any comic book types out there? How do you read?
famousboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe this thread will help:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157187
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Use Perfect Viewer, read in landscape mode. Problem solved.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
famousboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Use Perfect Viewer, read in landscape mode. Problem solved.
Thanks for the tip. Problem solved, indeed. This app is well worth the $3 donation. (I noticed the free versions I could sideload but they took forever to load the book and I suspected I could get better performance off of the full-fledged "Kindle App Store version." Sure enough.)
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Check out the app DailyStrip
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
I've been using ComiCat, love it. very usable interface, scans your device and builds a library, etc.

I've been very happy with it. Have read so far something like 30 comics using it.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
famousboot

I haven't been able to find an APK of DailyStrip and I don't have the Android Market installed so that's not an option either. I did, however, buy Comicat, and I really like it over Perfect Viewer. The picture quality seems better, the gestures and zooming are better, and it's aimed at Comics so there's library functionality.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
GhostKobold
GhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 4g, Kindle Fire, Nook ST
My daughter has had a blast reading on the comixology app, I heard about problems downloading books and the like but I never ran into any (they may have been fixed before we gave her the fire for Christmas). Support for .cbr would be nice and all but she is young and I think frame by frame is just a superior reading experience than pinch and zoom on this size screen.

We got the device mainly for her to play games on, she loved playing them on the iphone but she has really warmed up to reading digital comics in the last two weeks. Mostly old school ones like Archie and Sabrina but she has also read Mouse Guard and Gwaii (I think its called Gwaii) and now asks for more comics at least as much, if not more so, than she does for new apps to play with. A pleasant unexpected surprise to be honest.

I doubt I will ever get her to read an actual book on the thing...but a comic is better than nothing and I have picked up her fire to read the Mouse Guard series as well, the frame by frame is actually pretty nice.

If it was just me...I would probably go with a .cbr reader and download free comics but for her the comixology app seems to work best. They have enough free comics (a few good ones mostly annoyingly incomplete "previews") to make it worth checking out as you don't actually have to set up anything it all works directly, and seamlessly, from the fire without having to set up an account with comixology.
GhostKobold is offline   Reply With Quote