Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
FBReader and html files

It's only recently that I realized that when FBReader encounters text in <h1>, <h2>, <h3> etc. elements in an html file that it automatically begins a new page. Great for chapter beginnings. And I'll just use <strong> for subheadings, not <h4>.

I've been searching for a page-break-before capability and here it is.

I presume that in the FB2 format you can specify something like this in the file, but I haven't gotten very far in understanding the FB2 schema.

But I'm really wondering how to do the same using Plucker. Would Plucker execute a CSS page-break-before:always setting?

While I like this unexpected aspect of html files in FBReader, I'm wondering if there is some way to get it to follow links, at least within the same document. I put together some test files and see that a simple internal link is recognized by FBReader to the extent that it formats the link properly but won't actually jump to the anchored spot. Nor will it follow a link to another installed book/html file.

Internal links in Plucker files, on the other, do work fine. If someone has any experience that would shed light on this, please advise or: Misha, got answers?

Roger

Last edited by rsperberg; 01-12-2006 at 10:25 PM.
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
geometer
geometer began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsperberg
While I like this unexpected aspect of html files in FBReader, I'm wondering if there is some way to get it to follow links, at least within the same document. I put together some test files and see that a simple internal link is recognized by FBReader to the extent that it formats the link properly but won't actually jump to the anchored spot. Nor will it follow a link to another installed book/html file.

Roger
Hello, Roger,

could You please sent me (geometer-at-mawhrin-dot-net) sample html document with problem described in your message? May be, I caould comment this problem or fix it for next FBReader release.

-- Nikolay Pultsin
geometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've sent the files as requested.

I made my initial tests because I was hopeful of linking between documents and sidestepping the necessity of combining them into one large file in advance.

I think linking between separate documents that are either in the same zip archive or in the same folder would be extremely helpful in FBReader. For instance, the books at the University of Adelaide consist of one chapter per html file; for instance, try this link to George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London": etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79d/o79d.zip , and you will see. As it is, right now these are fine in a browser but only awkwardly readable in FBReader.

I would say that expanding linking this way would be one of the three most useful features that could be added to FBReader that are not already on the roadmap.

(The others are accommodating multimedia -- like swf or svg, or audio and video files -- either via plug-in or by calling an external program; and accepting a file with an arbitrary XML vocabulary -- Simplified DocBook, TEI-lite, my work DTD -- and allowing the user to indicate how the block and inline elements should be displayed.)
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote