Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, sure, that too.

I am curious, now. If the OP will elaborate, perhaps the geniuses here () can aid and abet.

Hitch
I didn't realize that MR has "very stable" geniuses.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't realize that MR has "very stable" geniuses.
I'm pretty sure, Jon, that I never said or implied that. If I did, I was sleepwalking, fersure. ;-)

HItch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, Jon, that I never said or implied that. If I did, I was sleepwalking, fersure. ;-)

HItch
No, you didn't. I just inferred.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, you didn't. I just inferred.
hmmm...I think your Inference Engine is having a malfunction. LOLOL...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 AM   #20
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Slight correction: *Windows* does not distinguish case in filenames in its main filesystem. This has nothing to do with Sigil. There is no way for Sigil to enforce case-sensitivity on Windows!
I know that's the cause. But, as I discovered, it allows you to create ePubs that only work on Windows, so I think it's worth addressing.

Even if whatever Sigil uses to render previews can't be made case sensitive, can the "well formed check", which is the only one built in, be made to warn of a case mismatch as epubcheck does? And whatever checks that are done on saving or opening a file.

The error arose because I was replacing an image file and just typed in the new filename, spelling right but case wrong. After any edit I do an F7 to confirm no syntax errors, and go on. Epubcheck is too slow to do that often.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-09-2018 at 02:15 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #21
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't confuse Calibre's conversion engine with Calibre's editor. I agree that nobody at my shop is allowed to use Calibre, for conversion--but I have two different areas that absolutely will use the editor--which creates no named classes, etc.
You can just use Calibre's editor stand-alone: "ebook-edit.exe" without having to go through its very possessive file manager.
It doesn't create any styles on its own.
It does some things more conveniently than Sigil and has some unique plugins.

Also Calibre's "ebook-viewer.exe", which is what I use for looking at epubs.
And for completeness, when I need to convert another format to ePub, I use Calibre's "ebook-convert.exe" command line.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
hmmm...I think your Inference Engine is having a malfunction. LOLOL...

Hitch
Tell that to our "very stable" genius President.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
The error arose because I was replacing an image file and just typed in the new filename, spelling right but case wrong. After any edit I do an F7 to confirm no syntax errors, and go on. Epubcheck is too slow to do that often.
What I do is run epubcheck before the final save. That means I catch anything epubcheck mentions before exiting.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #24
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Again this is not going to change. Verifying what you have entered is the role of validators like epubcheck not editors. You can also manually verify things by using the Reports feature.

Also if you use Sigil's Insert Image tool and select a file from your images folder, Sigil should properly match the case provided by the filsystem, preventing issues.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-09-2018 at 08:38 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Again this is not going to change. Verifying what you have entered is the role of validators like epubcheck not editors. You can also manually verify things by using the Reports feature.
Interesting.
If I have a file A.jpg and an image link a.jpg, doing "Report" shows "A.jpg" used 0 times. And it is listed as an "unused media file".

However, F7 "Well-Formed check" just says "No problems found" in either case.
But it also does that if I make the link "B.jpg".

So F7 doesn't care if links are valid or not. It's seeming less and less meaningful.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All F7 does, is make sure the file is parseable, not that it is correct (it is a sanity checker). If a file is not parseable then, until it is mended, nothing can really be done with it.

Again, as an editor Sigil will allow you to type anything you want. If Preview can not parse it or sanity check (F7) fails, you typed something with incorrect syntax for xml/xhtml and it needs to be mended. You can type in links or hrefs or src's whose targets do not exist. As long as the syntax is pareseable, all is fine from the editor's perspective given the author's next step may be to add that missing target. There is no way for an editor to know.

Again, if you use the Insert Image tool, it will correctly match the actual filename preventing the problem you yourself created.

If you are worried about link, targets, etc, you can run the Report features to visually check things or even better yet run an actual validator! Epubcheck will happily point out you messed up.

Sigil is an editor, not a validator. Sigil allows validator plugins to be run inside the Sigil application.

Before considering an epub complete, I **strongly** recommend you run it against a validator to verify you have not messed anything up.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-11-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
However, F7 "Well-Formed check" just says "No problems found" in either case.
But it also does that if I make the link "B.jpg".

So F7 doesn't care if links are valid or not. It's seeming less and less meaningful.
The key is in the name: "Well-Formed Check." It checks whether the file is well-formed (all tags are properly closed and nested). Is the file parseable? Nothing more. That is all it's intended to do--that is all it's going to do. Validation is for plugins and external tools to perform.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-11-2018 at 12:28 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #28
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
But how nice and convenient it is that there is a plugin for epubcheck and there is a plugin for Flight Crew (and not a plugin but a link to validate CSS with W3C -- I'd love a plugin but there are issues with what version you want to validate with).

When (I think) I'm ready to publish an epub, I use them all.

AFAIK just keeping an eye on the preview window will tell you (instantly) everything you could learn from F7. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong about this. I don't generally use F7.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, Preview, if enabled and on screen, will detect almost all not well-formed errors. But you have to load every page and check it visually. F7 is just another way of finding not well-formed xhtml.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. It's the "all files" aspect of the well-formed check that can save someone some trouble.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote