Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #121
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
What a thoughtful retirement gift from your husband
That's what I'm doing currently as well. Voyage home, PW3 when out. I'll be checking out the Oasis after the Holidays, thanks to Hollowman telling me about the Amazon Pop up Store, where I can actually see and try an Oasis.
Hopefully they keep the darn store. Needless to say, the employees there were not exactly trying hard to show people the hardware, so I don't know what their plans will be after the holiday.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #122
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Hopefully they keep the darn store. Needless to say, the employees there were not exactly trying hard to show people the hardware, so I don't know what their plans will be after the holiday.

-HM
Oh no ! I was hoping they would still be there after the holiday. I can't get down there this weekend either, and I suppose they are getting crowded with shoppers now till Christmas. I hope they hang around till after Christmas.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #123
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Oh no ! I was hoping they would still be there after the holiday. I can't get down there this weekend either, and I suppose they are getting crowded with shoppers now till Christmas. I hope they hang around till after Christmas.
Hopefully it's not like the typical holiday kiosk, but hard to know since it's brand new!

-HM
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #124
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
Wow, just got my Voyage as a gift from my wife and I am in love with darker contrast of the fonts and the flawless screen. My paperwhite, which is the current generation looks a bit more faded in the letters (more greyish)...so there is no going back for me. I had the unfortunate experience of also holding an Oasis with a similar screen, but from what I've read here, it seems screens vary. As of now, I am over the moon with my Voyage!

Purchased a 10 dollar red cover to go with it...perhaps in the future, I will splurge a bit more and get a non-leather origami for it.

To everyone who is enjoying their kindles, Oasis or Voyage or PW or any other iteration, I wish you all a happy holiday with lots of reading (and some wine)!
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #125
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had heard so much about the color of the screen being variable from side to side I was not surprised to find my right side yellowish and the left side white. Further checking revealed the culprit was my eyes. I have developing cataracts and the right eye is further along. So the whole screen is an even white from my better eye with the right eye closed. Doing the opposite showed the whole screen to be yellowish when viewed from my right eye only. One of the benefits of aging.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #126
Gabriel.Voyager
Connoisseur
Gabriel.Voyager began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage 3G, Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Mini Retina
Saturday i go to the store and try the One, it's beautiful, but really too big for me, i have little hands and i can't hold easily with one hand without put my thumb on the screen.
i think about me on the bus with one hand on the support try to take the one with the other hand... no i can't handle the one with ease.
If only Kobo had put a button.
I've decided to buy for me another Voyage and gift the voyage i have to my mother.

sorry i've post in the wrong thread!

Last edited by Gabriel.Voyager; 12-19-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Gabriel.Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #127
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Hi! I exchanged my Voyage and it still has the light gradient, and I guess Im going to have to get used to it.

But Im curious-- has the gradient on the Oasis been tweaked/improved, and is it any worse than the Voyage?

Im interested in getting an Oasis if it doesnt have the gradient issue...

Paperwhites are much more uniform IMO
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #128
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurianLegends View Post
Wow, just got my Voyage as a gift from my wife and I am in love with darker contrast of the fonts and the flawless screen. My paperwhite, which is the current generation looks a bit more faded in the letters (more greyish)...so there is no going back for me. I had the unfortunate experience of also holding an Oasis with a similar screen, but from what I've read here, it seems screens vary. As of now, I am over the moon with my Voyage!

Purchased a 10 dollar red cover to go with it...perhaps in the future, I will splurge a bit more and get a non-leather origami for it.

To everyone who is enjoying their kindles, Oasis or Voyage or PW or any other iteration, I wish you all a happy holiday with lots of reading (and some wine)!
I just purchased a leather cover from Linda's Garden artfire store and I love it. I got the flip top cover to make it easier for me to read in bed. It doesn't matter if I am on my left or right side. Looks great too!

I put two puffy stickers in the page press area for when I am reading in the dark. I can feel the puffy stickers and press it like a button. lol Sounds crazy, but it works really well.

Penny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coversmall.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	155759   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170316_10_02_03_Prosmall.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	155760  
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #129
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Last month, when the Voyage was on sale, I decided to try one. I have been looking at the Oasis and was really struggling with which one to get. However I do like to read while eating, so I decided the stand-up leather cover would be better for me. They had the "Essentials Bundle" (Voyage, case and charger) also on sale, so that is what I ordered. The delivery date was set at 5 days. Since I am a Prime member, I sent an email asking why the delay. They responded that the bundle was out of stock at the closest warehouse and gave me another 25% off.

So far I am really happy with the Voyage. If it has a gradient on the screen, I cannot see it. The flush bezel make for very easy cleaning. No dust in the corners. The pagepress sensors work great. The leather case works great as a stand for hands free reading. The automatic light adjusting feature doesn't seem to work the way I am comfortable with, but that is not a big deal. When I want to sit and read, I can easily pop it out of the case and it is very light weight. Overall, I am very happy.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #130
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
Hi! I exchanged my Voyage and it still has the light gradient, and I guess Im going to have to get used to it.

But Im curious-- has the gradient on the Oasis been tweaked/improved, and is it any worse than the Voyage?

Im interested in getting an Oasis if it doesnt have the gradient issue...

From what I've read (I think), the Oasis gradient is worse. I could be wrong.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #131
Hollow Man
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
From what I've read (I think), the Oasis gradient is worse. I could be wrong.
The Oasis light is great. I do my best to set it so it's not obvious that the background is glowing.

If I pump it up and stare at it, I can, of course, tell it's not uniform. But I've given up being particular about it. It's just an unreasonable expectation.

-HM
Old 03-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #132
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
The lighting on the PW is more uniform, it doesn't have the flush screen of the Voyage & Oasis. It's the capacitive touch, flush screen where Amazon appears to be having an issue with the gradient.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #133
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The lighting on the PW is more uniform, it doesn't have the flush screen of the Voyage & Oasis. It's the capacitive touch, flush screen where Amazon appears to be having an issue with the gradient.
My memory of past threads on this forum had a lot of people sending back half a dozen PWs due to issues with the gradient there, too. (And shadows around the LEDs, which are mostly gone.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #134
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
As far as I remember, there were huge issues with original PW1, and as you say, people sending back quite a few before either getting a 'good' one or just giving up, but while not perfect, the lighting on subsequent PW's have been a lot more uniform. You do still get some bad examples with shadowing etc, but far less than when the PW was first released. A quick and dirty estimate looking at the reviews of Paperwhite's gives you around 0.5% of them mentioning shadow, cones, yellow or gradient.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #135
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Even the Glo HD has uniform lighting. When I did the "flip picture" test, it had some gradient. But nowhere near what my Voyage has.

Should I continue trading in or give up?
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, oasis, voyage