Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
ysabelkid
ysabelkid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5, Cool Reader, Moon+
Best device for comics?

Hi - this is my first post, though I've been reading through the forums looking for info. I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 3 as my reader, but am planning to buy an e-ink reader for books (based on other threads I've been following). I originally bought the Lenovo instead of a dedicated e-reader because I want to read comics (mainly bought via Comixology) in colour.

Problem is, the Lenovo only has 16GB of on-board memory - 12GB of which is available to the user. I added a 32GB SD card, but Comixology only saves to internal memory and has almost wiped out all the space (without even downloading my entire comic library).

Comixology allows me to download some of my comics, but not all, and they download as numbers, not even consecutively. So even though I have other comic reader apps, it's hard to send the files to them. I've also looked at the KCC comic converter, but I don't think that will work in this case.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ysabelkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't know all that much about it, but I think for reading comics a tablet is much better than an e-ink reader (which is much better for print). Comics take up quite a bit of space so your best bet would be to put them on an SD card instead of the internal memory in your tablet. I am not familiar with Comixology, but if it allows you download comics as numbers, can't you just rename them, then put the series in folders and send them to an SD card? if you don't have a SD card reader on your computer or tablet where you are able to send files to it, you can buy a portable one fairly cheap and connect it with USB. Once they are written to the SD card you can read them with an app like ComicRack or Perfect Viewer on your tablet. There would be no need to convert them as those apps can read any kind of comic book file. I don't buy comics, but I have a lot of old ones and that is what I do. I find Perfect Viewer to be very good.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabelkid View Post
Hi - this is my first post, though I've been reading through the forums looking for info. I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 3 as my reader, but am planning to buy an e-ink reader for books (based on other threads I've been following). I originally bought the Lenovo instead of a dedicated e-reader because I want to read comics (mainly bought via Comixology) in colour.

Problem is, the Lenovo only has 16GB of on-board memory - 12GB of which is available to the user. I added a 32GB SD card, but Comixology only saves to internal memory and has almost wiped out all the space (without even downloading my entire comic library).

Comixology allows me to download some of my comics, but not all, and they download as numbers, not even consecutively. So even though I have other comic reader apps, it's hard to send the files to them. I've also looked at the KCC comic converter, but I don't think that will work in this case.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do the same as you. My suggestion: Keep your Yoga. Use this plug-in that allows you to download DRM free copies of ALL comics you buy on ComiXology and save them as .cbz files (though the plug-in only works on Chrome, so you'll need that too if you aren't using it already). Use that to download your comics and sideload them to your SD card. It is what I do. The comics downloaded use the series title and issue number as their file name. Easy peasy.

The plug-in isn't available in the Chrome store, so you will need to learn how to sideload a plug-in. Here are instructions:

In Chrome, click on the settings icon on the right (looks like three vertical lines on top of each other)
- Select Tools > Extensions
- Select "Developer mode"
- Click on "Load unpacked extension"
- Select the "source" folder

I think this is okay, since we do discuss removing DRM, etc on this board. But if you need further instructions, feel free to PM me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Latest version of comiXology should allow saving to SD card now.

https://support.comixology.com/custo...to-my-sd-card-

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...hones-tablets/
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Latest version of comiXology should allow saving to SD card now.

https://support.comixology.com/custo...to-my-sd-card-
That's cool. I'd still recommend the plug-in I mentioned if you want to download and save your comics like so many of us download and save our books. Comics are much larger than books though, so if you're going to do it you'll eventually need a bigger hard drive.
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's cool. I'd still recommend the plug-in I mentioned if you want to download and save your comics like so many of us download and save our books. Comics are much larger than books though, so if you're going to do it you'll eventually need a bigger hard drive.
I've used the plugin on Chrome. Personally, I prefer to buy from Amazon (Kindle + comiXology) and strip the DRM from azw3 files. That seems to be more reliable for manga, too. I've had the plugin fail with manga (fixed format). I never bought comics from comiXology prior to the Amazon acquisition and account merge because of DRM.

Image Comics have high quality DRM-free backups (in both CBZ and PDF) via comiXology so those I download when available. They're around 300-500MB per volume. I've got a 20TB file server anyway.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-23-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I've used the plugin on Chrome. Personally, I prefer to buy from Amazon (Kindle + comiXology) and strip the DRM from azw3 files. That seems to be more reliable for manga, too. I've had the plugin fail with manga (fixed format). I never bought comics from comiXology prior to the Amazon acquisition and account merge because of DRM.

Image Comics have high quality DRM-free backups (in both CBZ and PDF) via comiXology so those I download when available. They're around 300-500MB per volume. I've got a 20TB file server anyway.
I prefer my comics in CBZ/CBR format. I've converted some ePub graphic novels to CBZ (from memory, you just pull all the images out of the ePub and create the file from that). But for me the Chrome plug-in works. I've only had problems with very large graphic novels.

One plus with the plug-in is you can choose to save them as PNGs instead of JPEGs (the files are even larger though).

I save mine to a 4TB hard drive.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I prefer my comics in CBZ/CBR format. I've converted some ePub graphic novels to CBZ (from memory, you just pull all the images out of the ePub and create the file from that). But for me the Chrome plug-in works. I've only had problems with very large graphic novels.

One plus with the plug-in is you can choose to save them as PNGs instead of JPEGs (the files are even larger though).

I save mine to a 4TB hard drive.
I always convert to zip/cbz anyway. KindleUnpack for Kindle books or simple extraction with 7zip for ePub (if the ePub file doesn't have thumbnails, a simple rename from epub to cbz will work just as well). My preferred apps are Perfect Viewer on Android and ComicGlass on iOS and neither support ebook formats, afaik.

Even saving as png, quality is still limited to what is sent over by comiXology. Maybe it's because my monitor is only 1080p but I've found downloads via iPad or DRM-free backups have better quality than the comics saved via the plugin (and yes, I used png). It's actually one of the reason I just un-DRM and unpack azw3 files downloaded using Kindle for Windows. Smaller files with same quality as the png files I get via plugin.

Maybe the artifact aren't obvious on 1080p tablets but on an iPad Pro 12.9 (2732*2048), they definitely are.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I always convert to zip/cbz anyway. KindleUnpack for Kindle books or simple extraction with 7zip for ePub (if the ePub file doesn't have thumbnails, a simple rename from epub to cbz will work just as well). My preferred apps are Perfect Viewer on Android and ComicGlass on iOS and neither support ebook formats, afaik..
I've been a long time supporter of Perfect Viewer on Android and it does support epub. I haven't bothered trying it though. I do wish the developer would give PV a facelift. The library view is archaic looking and the border cropping can be too aggressive.

I bounce between Perfect Viewer, ComicRack and Challenger on Android and Cover on Windows. Each has things I like and things I wish were changed.

Quote:
Even saving as png, quality is still limited to what is sent over by comiXology. Maybe it's because my monitor is only 1080p but I've found downloads via iPad or DRM-free backups have better quality than the comics saved via the plugin (and yes, I used png). It's actually one of the reason I just un-DRM and unpack azw3 files downloaded using Kindle for Windows. Smaller files with same quality as the png files I get via plugin.

Maybe the artifact aren't obvious on 1080p tablets but on an iPad Pro 12.9 (2732*2048), they definitely are.
I keep thinking of picking up one of the Samsung 12.2" tablets. Maybe on a larger screen I'd see what you are seeing.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-24-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
An iPad is best for PDF and comics due to the non-16:9 aspect ratio.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I've been a long time supporter of Perfect Viewer on Android and it does support epub. I haven't bothered trying it though. I do wish the developer would give PV a facelift. The library view is archaic looking and the border cropping can be too aggressive.

I bounce between Perfect Viewer, ComicRack and Challenger on Android and Cover on Windows. Each has things I like and things I wish were changed.
Last time I actually used PerfectViewer was in 2013 (Nexus 7 2013) and I prefer simple list view.

Hardware-wise, I really like the iPad. I've tried searching for 4:3 250+ ppi Android tablets with microSD card but the only devices to meet that criteria were Chinese branded ones with even worse chipsets than the oft lambasted iPad 3. Aside from that, none of the Android tablets I've tried has come close to the iPad in terms of battery life.

In any case, I'm quite content with the native comiXology app (512GB iPad). Only reason I download Kindle versions is so that I have DRM-free copies. Most of my books on Amazon are deep discount Marvel GNs anyway. Used to purchase my GNs on the Nook but they've changed their DRM so it became impossible to remove DRM from Nook graphic novels without rooting (regular ebooks were still fine). Considering buying from Kobo in future.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An iPad is best for PDF and comics due to the non-16:9 aspect ratio.
Sorry. But you are wrong, at least for comics. I wrote a long post about that. Assuming screen sizes are similar (10.1" screen compared to a 9.7" screen) 16:9 displays comics better than the iPad 4:3. The same page displayed on both screens will be larger on the 16:9 than the 4:3.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Last time I actually used PerfectViewer was in 2013 (Nexus 7 2013) and I prefer simple list view.

Hardware-wise, I really like the iPad. I've tried searching for 4:3 250+ ppi Android tablets with microSD card but the only devices to meet that criteria were Chinese branded ones with even worse chipsets than the oft lambasted iPad 3. Aside from that, none of the Android tablets I've tried has come close to the iPad in terms of battery life.
Android tablets in 4:3 are relatively rare. The last worthy one I remember is the Nexus 9. And Google doesn't like SD cards.

I've never tried an iPad, because in general I'm not an Apple fan. but I have been curious about trying their comic reader apps. I've tried most that are available on Android and Windows.

Quote:
Used to purchase my GNs on the Nook but they've changed their DRM so it became impossible to remove DRM from Nook graphic novels without rooting (regular ebooks were still fine). Considering buying from Kobo in future.
Do Nook graphic novels no longer download as ePub? It's been a long time since I bought graphic novels from B&N, but when I did, they showed up like any other book. I guess that's changed.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Android tablets in 4:3 are relatively rare. The last worthy one I remember is the Nexus 9. And Google doesn't like SD cards.
I know. The problem is the devices I like are usually Nexus. Unfortunately, they don't have SD cards and max internal storage is typically just 32-64GB. Hence, I eventually gave up the Android tablet search (after spending around $1.2K on the failed experiment) and stuck to iPads.

Quote:
Do Nook graphic novels no longer download as ePub? It's been a long time since I bought graphic novels from B&N, but when I did, they showed up like any other book. I guess that's changed.
They download as ePub but the ones downloaded via Nook device or Windows Store app don't work with the Alf tools. Can't find key or something whereas regular fiction ePubs downloaded on the same devices work just fine.

The ones downloaded via Nook for Android still worked circa, hmm, 2015? However, these are stored in secure storage and are only accessible if rooted.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Sorry. But you are wrong, at least for comics. I wrote a long post about that. Assuming screen sizes are similar (10.1" screen compared to a 9.7" screen) 16:9 displays comics better than the iPad 4:3. The same page displayed on both screens will be larger on the 16:9 than the 4:3.
Not strictly true. It should be noted that most Android tablets use 16:10 resolution, not 16:9. There's a notable difference.

Comics are around 15:10/3:2.

Code:
10.5" 4:3    5.6" x 8.4"
10.1" 16:10  5.4" x 8.0"
9.7"  4:3    5.2" x 7.8"
10.1" 16:9   5.0" x 7.4"

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-24-2018 at 02:38 PM.