Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #46
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No idea. The best way for you to handle this is to create a a short sample epub that illustrates the problem and then clearly document the exact sequence of steps needed to reproduce it and post a link to it.

Also include the exact platform you use, what Sigil Version, what Qt version and if you built Sigil yourself or are using one of our official release builds.

Also be careful on Windows that you are not using antivirus or temp file-cleaning software as it will delete legal temp files out from under Sigil with no warnings causes crashes that Sigil can not prevent.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I have used an official epub3 sample from the idpf with video and a few simpler video sample epubs and inserted and removed the videos in many places but simply can not get Sigil 0.9.9 to crash at all. This is on a Mac. So whatever you are seeing needs a very specific set of steps to recreate the problem or is platform specific and possibly machine specific.
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #48
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vichuvideo View Post
0.9.9 crashing.
Crash happened ocasionally with 0.7.2 when editing epub with video.
But with 0.9.9 crash occur more frequently (also when editing epub with video).
Crash occur sometime after inserting of video, sometime when change from code view to book view, sometime after inserting an image in other chapter or section different of the one that contain the video.
Someone know why?
For what it's worth, I gave it a shot with one of my "unauthorized" epubs that gained a certain amount of ill favor because I was using audio in it. This on Windows 7, and it performed flawlessly after manipulating a little bit, adding another audio file, and inserting yet another graphic file. Saved, played the audio, and had no problems.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #49
vichuvideo
vichuvideo began at the beginning.

Device: smart mobile phone
Following Kevin and Justin recommendation i did a test
Open Sigil 0.9.9
Just type "test"
then insert a video
played it. it played fine.
then go back and forth from book and code view, all OK
then insert another video in the same section or chapter
played it. It played fine.
then go to code view
then try to go back to book view

crash occur

Follow is error report copied from the screen:

Firma con problemas:
Nombre del evento de problema: APPCRASH
Nombre de la aplicación: Sigil.exe
Versión de la aplicación: 0.9.9.0
Marca de tiempo de la aplicación: 5a3c1e30
Nombre del módulo con errores: Qt5Multimedia.dll
Versión del módulo con errores: 5.6.2.0
Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores: 595eb769
Código de excepción: c0000005
Desplazamiento de excepción: 0003f983
Versión del sistema operativo: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Id. de configuración regional: 3082
Información adicional 1: 0a9e
Información adicional 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Información adicional 3: 0a9e
Información adicional 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Lea nuestra declaración de privacidad en línea:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0c0a

Si la declaración de privacidad en línea no está disponible, lea la declaración de privacidad sin conexión:
C:\Windows\system32\es-ES\erofflps.txt

I am using a laptop with Intel Celeron CPU 530 @ 1.73GHz
1 GB RAM
32 bits Windows 7 Professional with service pack 1
100 GB Disc

Sigil 0.9.9 downloaded from https://sigil-ebook.com/

Antivirus: Avast
Also use Memory cleaner 2.60 that help me to free RAM

Dont believe that Avast is the cause of the problem
But not sure if Memory cleaner app is erasing Sigil temp files.
or maybe need more RAM?
vichuvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #50
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What might be useful to know is some more information regarding the video files. Size, codec and such.

Just a tip, try not to use BookView, as it is known to cause issues. I am not saying it is causing your issues, but you would be better of not to use it anyway.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #51
KevinH
Sigil Developer

How exactly are you adding these videos? Are you using Sigil's add Existing file menu to select the videos, so that they get added in the right place inside Sigil and then using the insert image/movie/audio button to insert the video link itself while in CodeView?
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 AM   #52
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
but you would be better of not to use it anyway.
Unfortunetly, bookview is the only way of testing links inside Sigil. Or did i miss something? Preview is not reacting when clicking links.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #53
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You can open the video in its own tab and play it there or use BookView to play it. I do not recommend editing webpages live in Bookview as cursor placement is an issue. Reading and single word edits in BookView can be useful.

I will look into adding the capability for Preview handling internal links by opening a new tab in the BookBrowser.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-27-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW - after staring at the code awhile, I think I can get Preview to talk to the MainWindow to open an internal hyperlink in the frontmost Tab when a link is clicked in Preview.

So look for this in the next release if I can get it to work.

KevinH
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #55
KevinH
Sigil Developer

This feature has just been added to master. So Preview should properly respond to clicking internal links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Unfortunetly, bookview is the only way of testing links inside Sigil. Or did i miss something? Preview is not reacting when clicking links.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #56
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You are awesome!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:34 AM   #57
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to KevinH again

Ok, then i just can say
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #58
vichuvideo
vichuvideo began at the beginning.

Device: smart mobile phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
How exactly are you adding these videos? Are you using Sigil's add Existing file menu to select the videos, so that they get added in the right place inside Sigil and then using the insert image/movie/audio button to insert the video link itself while in CodeView?
Used Sigil menu to add and insert video
Sample video downloaded from You tube, 360p, MP4, size: 6 to 14 Mb, 25 to 30 frames/second video, 96 Kbps audio. No read/write protected video.

Sigil insert automatically play button.

Use code view to change size, adding width="nnn" height="bbb" so all video of ebook shows the same size screen at reader device.

As mentioned in my test, i did not do any edition or code change at code view, just switch from book to code view and from code to book view.

I decided to unsinstall 0.9.9 and install 0.9.8. It works better. Also crash but not so frecuently as 0.9.9.
vichuvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #59
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I simply can not recreate your issue at all on my Mac or on my Linux box (I just tried limited testing on Linux). Perhaps someone on Windows can recreate what you are seeing. The issue may end up being the very very low amount of ram you have (1GB) on a modern computer OS is simply way too small to work with audio and videos especially starting multiple videos that if autoplay is enabled.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm afraid that the current QtWebKit being used to build Sigil on Windows is just not very reliable when it comes to epubs with multimedia (on Windows). It becomes especially flaky when multiple audio/video elements are present on the same page.

Unfortunately, the option to build the community edition of QtWebKit with Windows Multimedia Foundation (wmf) support instead of DirectShow/QtMultimedia support is badly broken (and that brokenness is unacknowledged for the most part).

I have hopes that the newly revived QtWebKit project might solve some of those problems, but in my testing, it's simply not ready yet. It would introduce more issues than it would solve at the moment. There's a huge local-media bug in the current release, for example, that makes all multimedia on a page start auto-playing immediately after the page loads (regardless of any auto-play code present)!

Unfortunately, that leaves Windows Sigil in a bit of mess with regard to multimedia playback support. But none of that should affect Sigil's ability to edit code with multimedia present. And there's certainly no difference between Sigil 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 that would make one work "better" with videos than the other.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-10-2018 at 11:35 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote