Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Getting a new Paperwhite...

Hello All,
It's been a few years since I posted here but I need your help.
I am upgrading to a PW Gen-6 3G and want to know what I need to do to jailbreak, install KUAL etc.. Any tips that would help me? The link I need to start?
Thanks a million in advance to all my old and new friends here. This group is awesome and I have had many really helpful times - and (hopefully) have helped others.
(NY)Paulie
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
Hello All,
It's been a few years since I posted here but I need your help.
I am upgrading to a PW Gen-6 3G and want to know what I need to do to jailbreak, install KUAL etc.. Any tips that would help me? The link I need to start?
Thanks a million in advance to all my old and new friends here. This group is awesome and I have had many really helpful times - and (hopefully) have helped others.
(NY)Paulie
Welcome back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450
Known here as a: PW-2

If you intend to use the current software jailbreak,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
your PW-2 can not be running a firmware version more recent than 5.8.7.0.1
So do not let it connect to the Internet, if you do, it will update.

As soon as you get it, put it in 'Airplane Mode' (or turn off Wireless - wording depends on its current firmware version).
Then connect it with USB cord to your PC and install the 'blocker directory' described in Step #7 of the above link.
(Yes, you can use that before you jailbreak the device.)

That above should take care of the 'as soon as I have hands on it' situation.
Post back when you can give more details (like fw version it is currently running).

If you intend to use the current serial port jailbreak,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541 (Ignore title)
The firmware version running does not matter, those directions apply to any touchscreen Kindle.

= = = =

A lot of people have left since you where last here.
Just having someone show up that knows how to ask a good question is a relief.

Last edited by knc1; 06-16-2017 at 06:19 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:40 AM   #3
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
This is a complete guide on how to jailbreak your Kindle : Jailbreak + Installing KUAL and then how to install plugins.

https://www.ereader-palace.com/how-t...e-2016-method/

They will also show you how to turn off auto update and how to install plugins after the jailbreak , (my best plugins are Koreader vlasovsoft)

The Jailbreak still works with the last version which is 5.8.9.2 (on kindle voyage)

It is very useful and easy to understand

Last edited by cmoim; 06-17-2017 at 03:49 AM.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
However, because you are getting a new Kindle, you could end up with new firmware that cannot be software jailbroken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
This uses the same method to JB a kindle as @knc1 has done. That thread has more elaborate explainations than that off-site link.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - - -
The Jailbreak still works with the last version which is 5.8.9.2 (on kindle voyage)

It is very useful and easy to understand
Firmware version 5.8.9.2 from what country?
Can you provide any links to confirmation of what you claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
This uses the same method to JB a kindle as @knc1 has done. That thread has more elaborate explanations than that off-site link.
They are similar directions, a human translation of our posting from the first week of our current jailbreak.
They may be sufficient for the firmware being released in their country (China), but are not general enough to cover other countries firmware.

People using them should expect to get their help from the authors of that blog, not from here.

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@knc1:Maybe they mean JB still survives rather than it can still be JB-ed
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
@knc1:Maybe they mean JB still survives rather than it can still be JB-ed
Could be.
There is most likely a Chinese-to-English translation in there somewhere.
(That site is one of several that serves China.)

For the folks without a PC that has the 'whois' command installed:
Code:
Registrant Name: eReader Palace
Registrant Organization: eReader Palace
Registrant Street: Futian Road
Registrant Street: 304, International Enterprise Center
Registrant City: Shenzhen
Registrant State/Province: 
Registrant Postal Code: 434000
Registrant Country: CN
Registrant Phone: 
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax: 
Registrant Fax Ext: 
Registrant Email:
Although their domain registry provider and server provider are US based companies.
They also do not use the government supported file storage/distribution network in China.

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
However, because you are getting a new Kindle, you could end up with new firmware that cannot be software jailbroken.
We are trying to find out if they are shipping those yet.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is don't buy a new Kindle if you cannot live with it as it comes because it could come unable to be software jailbroken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
We are trying to find out if they are shipping those yet.
Quote:
My suggestion is don't buy a new Kindle if you cannot live with it as it comes because it could come unable to be software jailbroken.
New, in the absolute sense, PW-2s are no longer being sold.

This is a "new to nypaulie" device, in contrast to the PW-2 that he has owned for several years.
It is also the "newer" of the two PW-2 models (4Gbyte).
This one was not purchased from Amazon and the seller did not list what firmware it is running.
Which is why we have to wait until he gets his hands on it to know what to do next.

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:23 AM   #12
cmoim
Enthusiast

Quote:
I got my kindle less than a month ago from uk ,i didn't buy it through amazon store though , as soon as i got it i jailbroke it and updated it to 5.8.9.2 version and then i installed the plugins .

From what i have read now, it seems i can't jailbreak it if i have the latest version ,so i wonder when a new version comes out ,will i still be able to update my kindle without losing my jailbreak ?

Last edited by cmoim; 06-18-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I got my kindle less than a month ago from uk ,i didn't buy it through amazon store though , as soon as i got it i jailbroke it and updated it to 5.8.9.2 version and then i installed the plugins .

From what i have read now, it seems i can't jailbreak it if i have the latest version ,so i wonder when a new version comes out ,will i still be able to update my kindle without losing my jailbreak ?
You posted that the "jailbreak still works on 5.8.9.2" -
So that is what I thought you meant.

What you post now is that the "jailbreak survives the update to 5.8.9.2" -
Which is not exactly news,
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Third paragraph.

In answer to your question, read your own report and/or the reference given immediately above this sentence.
That is all we can possibly know at the moment.
If you can get us a copy of the Amazon/Lab126 firmware that will be released next, then we (or you) could check if the jailbreak survives an update **from** 5.8.9.2
(The only way to know for sure that the jb will survive is to try an update away from 5.8.9.2.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
cmoim
Enthusiast

Ah ok thank you
Old 06-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
New, in the absolute sense, PW-2s are no longer being sold.

This is a "new to nypaulie" device, in contrast to the PW-2 that he has owned for several years.
It is also the "newer" of the two PW-2 models (4Gbyte).
This one was not purchased from Amazon and the seller did not list what firmware it is running.
Which is why we have to wait until he gets his hands on it to know what to do next.
knc1,
Got my hands on it now!
It is in great shape and was what it was listed as, PW2-Gen6, WiFi & 3G, 4GB. Problem was it is still registered to the previous owner. Amazon said contact them to get login creds and unregister it (I wrote to the seller). It's a 5.8.9.2 so I am going to try the downgrade route linked in CMOIMs post (above) and then do the JB. As you know I've done this before (just the JB part) and am a staunch character. Charging it up now in prep, so if you think this plan sucks please advise! I worship your help.

[Added Later]
Too antsy to wait so I tried it. I put the update...bin file into the root directory but the update choice is grayed out even after a reboot. (replied to cmoim too).

[Added Still Later]
When I did a USB connect I saw that the upgrade file was gone so I sideloaded it again (yes, it is complete) and found out that if I eject the PW and then re-attach it the file has been removed. Is this a permission issue or maybe a fiendishly clever piece of coding that erases "unapproved" entries?

[Back Again]
This PW has special offers - does this interfere with sideloading/updating? I would remove this and try again but I'm not registered yet - still haven't heard from the seller about their unregistering this unit.

Last edited by nypaulie; 06-24-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Tried something...
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote