Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanz View Post
I also wonder if we will get a chance to migrate our kindles bought from the US (global wireless/international) to the UK account and store? Does anyone know? (For example I have a Kindle DX Graphite Global Wireless purchased from the US)
I'd like to know if you can do a "double" registration- like with iPods, say- and have US and UK content in your Kindle. Why not.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanz View Post
From what I've read the UK store will have 250 000 books less than the US Store. I also suspect that we won't be able to access the US store from an UK Kindle.

I also wonder if we will get a chance to migrate our kindles bought from the US (global wireless/international) to the UK account and store? Does anyone know? (For example I have a Kindle DX Graphite Global Wireless purchased from the US)
Yes - provided your Kindle is an international version, you will be able to migrate to the UK store and keep all your purchases backed up. I asked this directly of Amazon and had an email reply within 24 hours. You don't have to move though, you can stay on US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
You're a bit premature. We won't have a UK Kindle Store until later in August. Until then, you can order the Kindle itself from Amazon UK, but you still have to buy the books, etc. from Amazon in the US.

Also, the Kindle Store won't necessarily offer much advantage over the existing arrangement. It won't abolish the geographic restrictions or the price differentials (although those are being eroded anyway).

The main benefit is that books will be priced in pounds, so those who pay with non-US credit or debit cards won't get stuck with currency costs.
Mike, I'm with you there. Only being able to see the books I can purchase is less frustrating than seeing all the books and then clicking through to find that actually, I can't buy it. I'd rather have 250,000 less books but know I can buy anything there than the frustration of the recommendations at the bottom of the screen based on the current book, which turn out to be geo restricted when you click through - that bugs heck out of me. I'm sure they'll iron that bug out so that the recommendations only show UK store as well.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Only being able to see the books I can purchase is less frustrating than seeing all the books and then clicking through to find that actually, I can't buy it.
I agree completely. However, Amazon.com changed that system a few weeks ago, well ahead of the launch of the UK shop.

Since recenlty, if you have a UK-based account, and log in to Amazon.Com from the UK, you only see Kindle books available in the UK in your searches and browses. So, we already have what you are asking for.

Of course, being Amazon.com, the books are priced is US$s, which won't be the case when we can purchase from Amazon.co.uk.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote