Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #106
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If I had to read on a phone, especially during the summer, outside, I think I'd rather listen to music.
That's why I love my YotaPhone 2: E-Ink screen on a phone.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #107
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Did you buy another one? You broke the first one, didn't you? I guess that's a problem with a device that has a screen on both sides - you can't really keep it in a case! (I suppose you could use a sleeve, though.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #108
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmobile View Post
Hi! I will play the Devil's advocate here: What the hec is all about a "liseuse" Ereader Kobo, Kindle and the like while one can read on so many types of screens including the faithful old smartphone? I tried to buy a Kobo but backed off many times while realizing it is expensive and the only REAL strong point is AUTONOMY. To be sure, those Kobo thing do last a long time before running out of puff but I circumnavigated the problem by buying a portable power pack (12 Amp) for my smatphone. My phone costed 69 Au$ and the power pack 12 Euro! Epub reader on the phone is very confy to use with black fonts on soft parchmen background (from the settings). Have a good afernoon.
I know I'm really late but I just wanted to share my opinion haha.

Well if you are used to read in a LCD screen so an Ereader wouldn't be a good option for you. The good point of using an Ereader at least for ME is cuz it's the closest way to read a PHYSICAL book. You won't have that annoying light from the LCD or LED screen(something that makes me lose focus) and you can read ALL the time, while your phone won't be wasting its battery.

If you like comics I would recommend a tablet cuz it's cheaper and you will have a colorful screen(if you read comics with color). I've been thinking, I will might buy a tablet for me(from China) to read my comics book, cuz I have a Kobo Touch and it's really small for comics. And it will be really expensive to upgrade to a bigger one soooo yeah tablet hahaha.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Well if you are used to read in a LCD screen so an Ereader wouldn't be a good option for you.
Why do you say that? Many of us read on LCD screens before eInk devices existed.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #110
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you buy another one? You broke the first one, didn't you? I guess that's a problem with a device that has a screen on both sides - you can't really keep it in a case! (I suppose you could use a sleeve, though.)
Yes, I bought another one (they were cheap at the time). I now have it in a 'bumper' case - plastic all around the edge, but the two screens are free.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #111
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Computer bird bear sky car paper fish sofa money freezer.

So what did I just say above? I decided to change the meaning of all those words.
it wouldn't be one person deciding. if a word is used in culture by A LOT of people to mean something else other than what it's been known for in the past, then its meaning will change in that culture. if it gets wide enough acceptance, it may even make it into the dictionary.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #112
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say that? Many of us read on LCD screens before eInk devices existed.
Yeah I know, but most of people that I know, go to eInk mostly cuz of the light(I mean the light that the LCD or LED has). I was one of those haha, I would have to print out the book to be able to read.
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #113
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The only problem I have with it: it's too small (mostly too narrow).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #114
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Isn’t the screen size comparable to the iPhone 6/7? If so, how much larger do you want the screen to get before it competes with the 6 inch e-readers?
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #115
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
Isn’t the screen size comparable to the iPhone 6/7? If so, how much larger do you want the screen to get before it competes with the 6 inch e-readers?
I think it's very dependent on one's age. 25 years ago I could (and did) happily read on an Compaq iPaq Pocket PC. Now I struggle to read on my iPhone 6 - it's just too small for sustained reading, although fine for most other uses.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #116
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
No idea about how large the iphones are, I've only had Lumias. But I prefer a 4:3 or 16:10 resolution. And phones are a 16:9 (or even worse 18.5:9) resolution these day.

And it doesn't need to compete with a 6" reader, I'd be happy with a 5" one. The e-ink screen on the Yotaphone 2 is a 4.7" screen, but because of the different resolution, I find it too small (rather: too narrow).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #117
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
https://teleread.org/2017/10/05/brid...e-fire-tablet/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #118
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
That article seems to imply that mobile devices and mobile apps only very recently became "useful."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-07-2017 at 08:20 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #119
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
It also says Microsoft Word is a de facto standard for sending documents such as resumes. Whenever I'm on a hiring committee, the standard is most certainly PDF, not Word - and a candidate that sent Word documents would leave me a bad first impression.

I'd agree that Word is a de facto standard for sending documents that the receiver is supposed to modify, or for sharing. For sending a document that the receiver is only supposed to read, PDF is much, much better.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #120
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that a hamburger is a beef patty is a bun, what would we call a burger made from ham?
Porkburger

Next
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote