Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Lightbulb 56k alert! The "MR Show Us Your Gear" thread...

Mods: Apologies if a similar thread already exists or if I am posting in the wrong subforum - a cursory peek here didn't reveal anything. Please re-direct or delete as appropriate.

I am new to posting here on MR but in very short order MR has become one of my fave sites to haunt. Really, a truly informative place filled with some pretty nice people.

On the only other forum I am extremely active in [a forum devoted to portable audio gear, headphones, etc], there is an excellent stickied thread entitled "Show Off Your Portable Audio Gear!". The title is self-explanatory and that thread is incredibly active, with members not only proudly posting pics of their gear, but oftentimes showcasing some fantastic and creative photographic skills.

So...if no similar thread yet exists here on MR, given the wide variety of ereaders available as well as the enormous assortment of accessories like covers and lights, skins, etc. out there, I was thinking it might be fun to have a similar thread here on MR where people can post pics of their own ereaders and their personal setups. I know I for one am curious to see pics of ereader gear and accessories from my fellow MR members.

Just a thought...

cheers,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Code:
                                                  .===.
                                                 /   /
                                                /   /
  +-------------------_+-+-----------------------+ /
  |                    | |    Amazon Kindle      |/
  |                    | | +-------------------+ |
  |                    | | | Once upon a time  | |
  |                    | | | I bought an Amazon| |
  |                    | |_| Kindle 3 with a   |_|
  |                    | | | lighted leather   | |
  |                    | |<| cover... I read   |<|
  |                    | |_| many good books on|_|
  |                    | | | its amazing e-ink | |
  |                    | |>| screen.  One day  |>|
  |                    | | | I posted a picture| |
  |                    | |_| of it in ASCII art|_|
  |                    | | | on a web forum!   | |
  |                    | | +-------------------+ |
  |                    | |  o o o o o o o o +--+ |
  |                    | |  o o o o o o o o |  | |
  |                    | |  o o o o o o o o +--+ |
  |                    | |  o o (=======) o ==== |
  +--------------------+-+-----------------------+

Last edited by twowheels; 06-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol Touche! Well-played sir

But seriously...no feedback on this concept?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
lol Touche! Well-played sir

But seriously...no feedback on this concept?
I suspect that most ebook readers look fairly stock. A few fancy store-bought covers here and there, maybe a purchased skin or two... I doubt that many people customize their readers much. My daughter went right to work on hers, but I don't have access to it to take pictures right now. She's always sticking little glittery bits to her electronics and decorating her covers.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Gotcha...just kinda thought people might be interested to see real life pics of covers and lights [even skins] on actual gear. Product photos are fine but nothing beats photos from actual owners. Plus I was thinking about the creative aspect people might enjoy in taking pics of their gear.

Hey, no worries and thanks - was only a suggestion

And nice work again on the ASCII lol
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Well, since no objections to this thread suggestion, I am taking the liberty to start anyway - maybe something sticks, maybe not...I am nothing if not persistent, and of course, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Please excuse the crappy BB camera pics ...

Zippo for scale:

Last edited by lestatar; 06-13-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: resized hotlink pics to 600x480
Old 06-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
There are a couple of threads in the Kindle forum that are relevant. The one on covers does have a few people showing off their DIY efforts, some pretty good.

There is also another on lights.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think it's a cool idea for people with gear collections, such as yourself. Like device family photos, maybe even with pet cameos. I've just got the one device though, which also happens to be my camera. I'd have to rig mirrors to get the shot and my avatar paints a sufficient picture.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'll bite. Here's my Kobo, which I read ePubs on and my Sony Walkman, which I listen to audiobooks on.

My gear

I edited and did a link to the pic instead of the pic because it was too big.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I'll bite. Here's my Kobo, which I read ePubs on and my Sony Walkman, which I listen to audiobooks on.
when i read sony walkman i so expected to see a cassette player or one of those big cd player carriers from the 90's lol.
glad to see sony went mainstream with an mp3 player.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I didn't realise how similar looking the Kobo is to Kindle.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post

...link to pic SNIPPED 'cause I am still an MR noob with limited rights...

I edited and did a link to the pic instead of the pic because it was too big.
This may end up as a double post, but @covingtoncat73, THANK YOU! That is exactly what I am hoping for with this thread. And hoping this kinda thing might catch on here at MR.

btw, I love that Sony E series player

Nice gear and pic and thanks again for jumping in!

cheers,
-les
Old 06-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
when i read sony walkman i so expected to see a cassette player or one of those big cd player carriers from the 90's lol.
glad to see sony went mainstream with an mp3 player.
Yeah! And a very good one at that. Great sound. While it doesn't sync with iTunes, it does have a nifty little pop-up box you can transfer music from iTunes with. Also, it works with MP4s as long as they are not protected. Most of my music transferred over, but not most of the Enya or the couple of auidobooks I had bought but I already listened to them multiple times and can listen to them on my iPod Shuffle if I want to listen again. Works GREAT with eAudio from the library via Overdrive, which is how I get 95% of my audiobooks, as library loans. It does video, too, while it doesn't have a video camera, it compares very favorably to my broken iPod Nano for 1/2 the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I didn't realise how similar looking the Kobo is to Kindle.
Yeah! This is one reason I think this should be a fun thread. I actually got a ultra-padded Belkin bag for my Kobo that was made for a Kindle and it fits perfectly.

Quote:
This may end up as a double post, but @covingtoncat73, THANK YOU! That is exactly what I am hoping for with this thread. And hoping this kinda thing might catch on here at MR.

btw, I love that Sony E series player

Nice gear and pic and thanks again for jumping in!

cheers,
-les
You're welcome and I hope more post pics.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Mods: any reason a post of mine here, which contain hotlinks to pics on photobucket, and was placed in moderation queue, is now gone from the queue but has not been posted? Just looking for clarification please.

Tia,
les
Old 06-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Mods: any reason a post of mine here, which contain hotlinks to pics on photobucket, and was placed in moderation queue, is now gone from the queue but has not been posted? Just looking for clarification please.

Tia,
les
I see it and it looks like it needs to have the linked images resized to fit. The images come through as hugely over sized for the screen. I'll edit out the links so you can resize, then you can edit your post with the smaller images. It will show on forum then, I believe.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote