Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
CSS selectors

I'm looking to find a way of using a css selector with some unusual parameters.

I'm familiar with using a selector such as

Code:
p + p {
text-indent: 2em;
}
or
Code:
p.class1 + p {
text-align : right;
}
however what I'm looking for is one which will only select the second <p> where the first one has no class declared; i.e it won't select in the case of say

Code:
<p class="caption"> blah, blah, blah </p>
<p> some more text </p>
Or any other "classed" <p> tag.

I'm not sure if this is possible - has anyone found a way of doing this.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Theoretically, you could use a :not() pseudo selector for this. For example:

Code:
p:not([class]) + p { color: red; }
However, pseudo selectors are usually only supported by epub3 readers/apps.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm looking to find a way of using a css selector with some unusual parameters.

I'm familiar with using a selector such as

Code:
p + p {
text-indent: 2em;
}
or
Code:
p.class1 + p {
text-align : right;
}
however what I'm looking for is one which will only select the second <p> where the first one has no class declared; i.e it won't select in the case of say

Code:
<p class="caption"> blah, blah, blah </p>
<p> some more text </p>
Or any other "classed" <p> tag.

I'm not sure if this is possible - has anyone found a way of doing this.

BobC
I don't understand very well your example but it seems that you are looking for the :nth-child() selector. In your case:

1. In the .css stylesheet:

Code:
p:nth-child(2) {
  background: yellow;
}
2. In the .xhtml file:

Code:
<p>The first paragraph.</p>
<p>The second paragraph.</p>  /* the style will only be applied to this paragraph */
<p>The third paragraph.</p>
<p>The fourth paragraph.</p>
The issue here is that the :nth-child() selector it won't be supported by ADE under epub2 (however Kindle with .kf8 will accept it).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Doitsu

The not pseudo class seems to be what I was after, however with its limited support I doubt if I will be using it.

@RbnJrg
I don't think your solution would work, the second paragraph isn't a "child" of the first, it's just a successor and would be selected by P + P. In any case with the limited support I wouldn't want to use it.

It's not a big problem anyway - I was just looking for a lazy way to catch some exceptions to the general rule. I'll continue with my original method where I need to invert the logic and specify the classes for the initial p using something like :

Code:
p {
text-indent : 2em;
}

p.class1 + p, p.class2 + p, p.class3 + p {
text-indent : 0;
}
Thanks for the ideas, I wondered if I was missing something obvious.

BobC
Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

@RbnJrg
I don't think your solution would work, the second paragraph isn't a "child" of the first, it's just a successor and would be selected by P + P. In any case with the limited support I wouldn't want to use it.

BobC
With p + p, you also would apply the styles not only to the second paragraph, but also to the third, fourth, etc. Instead, with p:nth-child(2), you only would apply the style to the second paragraph. Do you see the difference?

And never a <p> tag can be a "child" of another <p> tag. It would be a successor, but not a child. Thouse tags are "childs" of <body> or, if it's present, a <div> tag. For example:

Code:
<div>
     <p>This is the first paragraph and the first child of div</p>
     <p>This is the second paragraph, the second child of div</p>
</div>
Acording what you are looking for, maybe could try the following:

Code:
p[id ~= my_id] + p {
      text-indent: 0;
}
and in the xhtml file:

Code:
<p id="my_id 1">This is the first paragraph</p>
<p>This is the second paragraph</p> /* This one won't be indented */
<p id="my_id 2">This is the first paragraph</p>
<p>This is the second paragraph</p> /* This one won't be indented */
Take in count that must be a space in the names you give: "my_id 1", "my_id 2", etc..

So, instead of using:

Code:
<p class="class1">blah, blah, blah</p>
<p>blah, blah, blah</p>
you would be using:

Code:
<p id="my_id 1">blah, blah, blah</p>
<p>blah, blah, blah</p>
and in the .css stylesheet, instead of:

Code:
p.class1 + p, p.class2 + p, p.class3 + p {
}
you would be using:

Code:
p[id ~= my_id] + p {
}
And perhaps would be better yet to employ:

Code:
p[title ~= my_title] + p {
}
and

Code:
<p title="my_title 1">blah, blah, blah</p>
<p>blah, blah, blah</p>
because of that way you can use in the same .xhtml file, the same title in several places.

With the selector "p[title ~= my_title] + p", you are going to select all <p> tags that are successors of another <p> tag with a title attribute containing the word "my_title".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	130
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	169531 Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	139
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	169532
Attached Files
File Type: epub Selectors.epub (2.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 02-06-2019 at 06:45 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
BobC, may I ask what the exact use-case is?

Give a concrete example of what you're trying to emulate. I think that'll make it a bit easier to understand what the issue is, and if there's any other potential ways of tackling the problem.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #7
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
BobC, may I ask what the exact use-case is?

Give a concrete example of what you're trying to emulate. I think that'll make it a bit easier to understand what the issue is, and if there's any other potential ways of tackling the problem.
Thank you for the offer, I possibly confused the point by referring to an example. @Doitsu supplied the answer I was looking for in post #2 above and as I said it really isn't a problem, more a matter of seeing if there was something I had missed. The ::not pseudo class would have been the perfect approach, however I prefer overall to use a method which is better supported. I'll stick with the way I have been doing things for some time now.

Again thanks to all who have offered ideas - I've picked up some from @RbnJrg's examples that will come in useful in other situations.

BobC