Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-06-2024, 10:16 PM   #16
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Late, but you should still be able to manually sideload the application, which should work until B&N decides to just kill it outright like the old Windows apps.

To liberate NOOK books now, you either need to manually obtain the application, or use a rooted Android device.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:38 PM   #17
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Okay, I'm good for a dumb question.

Are there any websites to safely download the Windows Nook app from?

It's been ages since I've downloaded software from anywhere but the developer's website, but the few I recall (MajorGeeks, FileHippo, SnapFiles) either have zero Nook programs or have only the old Nook for PC app.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2024, 07:46 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
To liberate NOOK books now, you either need to manually obtain the application,...
How do you manually obtain the application? (Thanks for any info.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:54 PM   #19
RWTS
Enthusiast

Is anyone familiar with the website APPX4Fun? Is it legitimate? Safe? I stumbled across it and have never heard of it before.

They have the Nook for Windows app version 1.11.0.4 available for download. That's the version installed on my computer. Here's the link if anyone would like to check it out:

https://www.appx4fun.com/apps/54799/

On a side note, I'm curious if one can still log in to the app. By that, I mean if a user signs out (or installs the app and logs in for the first time) will it be possible to sign back in? Since B&N has discontinued the app, might it be possible they disabled new sign ins?

Update: Sorry to get any hopes up. I decided to try downloading the app from the site and check it with VirusTotal. Since there were two download buttons ("Download" and "Microsoft Store"), I thought the site hosted a copy of the file. Nope. I clicked Download and nothing happened.

However, it does seem the Nook app is downloadable from Adguard's Online Link Generator for Microsoft Store.

https://store.rg-adguard.net/

Again, my apologies if I caused any confusion.

Last edited by RWTS; 02-21-2024 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:14 PM   #20
RWTS
Enthusiast

A follow-up to my last post:

My neighbor, who has been reading on a tablet for the past couple years, decided to make the switch to an ereader. She originally had her eye on the Glowlight 4 Plus, it went out of stock, she didn't want to wait months for it, so purchased a Kindle.

She has just shy of 100 purchased ebooks at B&N, with a handful yet to be read. She had never downloaded the Nook app on her computer, hence my search for it.

We downloaded the Nook .appx file from Adguard's Link Generator and it installed on her laptop with no problems. Hit a snag getting it to load (a firewall issue), but once that was sorted out she logged in and downloaded her books. (Interestingly, all but 5 or 6 open with Sumatra PDF, so it appears there's no DRM on the bulk of them.) Sent them to her Kindle and all is good. She's happy and not too worried about the stragglers, though might try to "free" them later.

So as of February 24, 2024, the Nook app can still be installed and signed into. Hope this is helpful to anyone still seeking it out.
Advert
Old 02-25-2024, 02:46 PM   #21
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I'm glad you got it working for your neighbor. However, I guess I am not that computer savvy. I couldn't get it to download for me. Oh well. All my Nook books are downloaded and in Calibre. I just won't buy any more from them.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:22 PM   #22
RWTS
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I'm nowhere as tech savvy as many posters on this site, but I'm willing to brainstorm if you'd like.

It's kind of funny how my neighbor is switching to an ereader and I've now read more books this year on a tablet than ever before. I'm tired of the long hold lines at Overdrive so I've been maxing out my Hoopla borrows (even though the text often gets cut off on the right side on my device, grr!).
Old 02-25-2024, 11:38 PM   #23
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am getting kind of tired of the Amazon vs Barnes & Noble vs Kobo vs Google Play stuff. I have large libraries from all of the above. I am tempted to get an Android eink device like Pocketbook or Onyx so I can just download all the reading apps on one device.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:02 AM   #24
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you're willing to deal with the downside of not actually owning any of your books, then it's certainly more convenient to go that route.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:05 AM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I am getting kind of tired of the Amazon vs Barnes & Noble vs Kobo vs Google Play stuff. I have large libraries from all of the above. I am tempted to get an Android eink device like Pocketbook or Onyx so I can just download all the reading apps on one device.
Why is that an issue if you use Calibre? Is it sideloading you're tired of and you just want to one-click-download?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 12:39 PM   #26
cgsmom
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why is that an issue if you use Calibre? Is it sideloading you're tired of and you just want to one-click-download?
I know. You are right. When I see a book on sale that I might like, I still have to go to Calibre to make sure I don't already own it. What I really need to do is stop buying books. I can't possibly read everything I own before I die. LOL

It just frustrates me sometimes that we have to jump through so many hoops just to have access to what we paid for and to read on whatever device we want. Plus, I actually love playing with new devices.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:30 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I know. You are right. When I see a book on sale that I might like, I still have to go to Calibre to make sure I don't already own it. What I really need to do is stop buying books. I can't possibly read everything I own before I die. LOL

It just frustrates me sometimes that we have to jump through so many hoops just to have access to what we paid for and to read on whatever device we want. Plus, I actually love playing with new devices.
I agree on all counts. Unfortunately the issue of several different DRM schemes and formats has been there pretty much from the beginning. 10-12 years ago many people were hopeful that DRM will go the way of dinosaurs, but it has not happened, nor is it likely to happen in the future. So we must just deal with it as we can.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:22 AM   #28
cgsmom
Addict

When I first started reading ebooks was in 2005 I think. I had a PDA with Pocket PC and Microsoft Reader. I bought books from lots of places including Amazon in LIT format. It seemed easier then. I still had to download to my PC and copy to the device. It's funny, but when Amazon switched to Kindle, my LIT format books disappeared. The orders don't even appear in my order history. My emails went unanswered. That is when I learned the value of liberating my ebooks.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:56 AM   #29
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles: PW5, Voyage, & Keyboard
@RWTS

How were you able to download the Nook .appx file?

Edited to add: I figured out how to download it, but I'm getting an error message when trying to install it.

Last edited by CAFlanny; 02-27-2024 at 12:06 PM.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When I first started reading ebooks was in 2005 I think. I had a PDA with Pocket PC and Microsoft Reader. I bought books from lots of places including Amazon in LIT format. It seemed easier then. I still had to download to my PC and copy to the device. It's funny, but when Amazon switched to Kindle, my LIT format books disappeared. The orders don't even appear in my order history. My emails went unanswered. That is when I learned the value of liberating my ebooks.
For me, that liberation moment was when Microsoft announced they were turning off their servers that managed DRM for their .LIT format. Thankfully, ConvertLIT allowed me to remove DRM from all but 2 of my .LIT format ebooks prior to the shutdown. Oddly, the only publisher that allowed me to download replacement ebooks in a different format without payment was Baen who do not use DRM though one publisher did offer me the chance to re-purchase their books for 33% off.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-27-2024 at 09:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote