Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-21-2023, 02:17 AM   #1
BBouy
BBouy began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook ProM1 Max, iPad Pro 4th G, iPhone 13 Pro Max
Epub 3 to Epub 2 downgrade.

Hello,

I am brand new here on the forum: So at first, have a nice day everyone.

And I just finished writing my very first eBook. In Apple Pages version 13, OS Monterey. Pages can create the format "Epub" version 3.2. And that also looks top to the readers on the Mac, iPad and iPhone. The eBook consists of text, links to web pages, images and a TOC. So nothing really out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately, I cannot upload this "Epub" to Epubli. They only allow a version up to a maximum of 2.0.

To downgrade I have found nothing after a really long search. I tried to export from Pages to Word and PDF and then create a file with Calibre, because even there the conversion from 3.2 to 2 is not possible. Unfortunately, this file produces many errors when checking in the upload and has the version 2.0.1, which is also criticized again, since probably only up to version 2.0 is supported.

Sigil was recommended to me by the support, which makes a good impression at first. Unfortunately I can't open older "Epubs" in Sigil, because it says,

Cannot read file /Path to/Book.epub:
file to open is a directory.

Which is very strange. Because it is a valid "epub".

Why do I want to open it? I am trying to find out what is the difference in structure from version 2 to version 3. And then I would do all that even manually myself. I can handle HTML, CSS and XML very well.

But before I start working in the completely wrong direction again. As an experienced user, how would you proceed step by step?

Best regards, Bruno
BBouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:32 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBouy View Post
I am trying to find out what is the difference in structure from version 2 to version 3.
The biggest differences will be...

1. The table of contents. toc.ncx is used by epub2 and nav.xhtml is used by epub3 which is not referenced in the spine. The formatting will be very different between the two. Its pretty easy to recreate the toc.ncx, so that shouldn't be a stumbling block.

2. The content.opf is modified and has a json type structure in epub3

3. Then there are all the little css differences that might catch you out. Probably best to upload your book so the css and html tags can be checked.
You can scramble the book if you are concerned about security. Install this calibre plugin... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998

Other members will be able to point out more differences, or if there is even a plugin which allows you to downgrade. I am not aware of one, but I've never looked for one either.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2023, 07:12 AM   #3
BBouy

Upload is not a problem.

First of all, thank you very much for the answer.

Surely. Here is a sample. In total, the eBook has around 270 pages. But that should be enough to see what's important, right? There are no errors in the Pagina epub checker.

https://7.ly/asHr0
Old 04-21-2023, 07:42 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There is no json-like structure in the OPF in epub3.

Epub 2.01 is epub2.

The reason Sigil will not open the file is because it is a folder on your mac with a name ending with .epub not an actual zip archive. Try right clicking on it to Show Contents.
MacOS Books.app is known to convert epubs from zip files to folders silently.
You should be able to use Sigil's FolderIn plugin to read from that folder.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-21-2023 at 08:45 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
First of all, thank you very much for the answer.

Surely. Here is a sample. In total, the eBook has around 270 pages. But that should be enough to see what's important, right? There are no errors in the Pagina epub checker.

https://7.ly/asHr0
You cannot convert this to ePub 2 easily at all because this is a fixed-layout ePub 3. You should start over and do not make it fixed-layout. There's no need for fixed layout. Using Apple Pages (it's not good) was a mistake (IMHO). Sigil or Calibre will do much better.

It's actually very easy to convert ePub 3 to ePub 2. But not if it's fixed-layout.

What is the original format?

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2023 at 07:57 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2023, 07:57 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The reason Sigil will not open the file is because it is a folder with a name ending with .epub not an actual zip archive. MacOS Books.app is known to convert it silently.
I'm utterly gobsmacked that any app would think it's a good idea to store its output in a folder named *.epub.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:59 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hits macOS users all the time. Even worse if you turn show file name extensions off!
Working with the Books (iBooks) app has always been a big pain.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

According to this link, MacOS Pages will allow you to create a reflowable epub instead of a fixed layout epub:

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202066

Your first step to create an epub2 should be to make a reflowable epub in Pages.

Or alternatively,

Convert your Pages file to a Word doc and use Calibre or Sigil to convert that Word file to epub so that you can control creating an epub2 vs epub3.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
BBouy

Wow, so much valuable information all at once.

Just thank you so much! I appreciate it very much ! ��

I look to summarize the answers to the various questions once.

|| MacOS Books.app is known to convert epubs from zip files to folders silently

I am using Apple Pages so far. To what extent this is related to the said program, I can not estimate. In fact, I have never dealt with the issue. I simply haven't written a book yet.

Everything I am forced to deal with now reminds me very much of the web development area a few years ago. That's my area of expertise. That's where Safari and IE were causing a bunch of problems back then.

This is like déjà vu right now �� I just want to publish the finished ebook, and ... You guys probably know this even better than I do. It's only taken me a week so far. I don't even want to know what it has cost you guys so far .... ��

|| You cannot convert this to ePub 2 easily at all because this is a fixed-layout ePub 3

Ok. I'll convert it and see how I get on there.

|| It's actually very easy to convert ePub 3 to ePub 2. But not if it's fixed-layout.

I am very happy to hear that. I'll just see what the different formats look like and then make a template that can continue to update and use. Because apparently, modern formats are not wanted.

|| I'm utterly gobsmacked that any app would think it's a good idea to store its output in a folder named *.epub.

DiapDealer: I tried to import the Word document with your plugin. But it only gives the error:

Launcher: missing or incorrect paths passed in

I got the plugin from Github. What did I miss?

|| Hits macOS users all the time.

�� Sorry, just like the machine.

|| Convert your Pages file to a Word doc and use Calibre or Sigil to convert that Word file to epub so that you can control creating an epub2 vs epub3.

I have understood that so far. Now I'll see what the difference is from 2 to 3 and then I'll just bring e over manually. Everything else doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited by BBouy; 04-21-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You may find this link useful as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254534567
Old 04-21-2023, 01:45 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't use fixed layout. Don't use Pages.
Install LO and use Writer, editing in odt format and a final extra Save As in docx for Calibre. Use styles.

Also when proofed edit a separate copy with headers, footers, exact page size, page numbers etc if you want PDF for POD. The LO Writer does perfect PDF exports. Don't use the LO Writer epub export.
Upload to Smashwords for Apple Distribution (also Kobo, Barnes & Noble etc) and both Google & Amazon KDP should work with the same epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's very easy to edit the OPF and convert that to ePub 2. It's also bvery easy to edit the HTM:/CSS to convert to ePub 2. And using epubcheck will let you know that you've done it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:13 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
|| I'm utterly gobsmacked that any app would think it's a good idea to store its output in a folder named *.epub.

DiapDealer: I tried to import the Word document with your plugin. But it only gives the error:

Launcher: missing or incorrect paths passed in

I got the plugin from Github. What did I miss?
No clue. Not nearly enough info to debug.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:07 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I moved the conversation about not being able to run plugins to a new thread in the Sigil Forum.

It can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353508