Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-22-2023, 09:12 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like big bezels and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with a Reader
And a rectangle thing in your face
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:01 PM   #47
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. I wish I wouldn't notice it either, but I just can't unsee it.
I'm rather envious of your vision. I can't see any Carta 1200 ghosting unless I move my face right up to the screen.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2023, 02:27 AM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm rather envious of your vision. I can't see any Carta 1200 ghosting unless I move my face right up to the screen.
I'm not talking about ghosting, but about contrast getting worse. By this I mean the text grows less dark, less sharp, less contrasty with every partial refresh. It kind of pales/blurs, but by very slight degrees. After several partial page-turns it becomes quite noticeable, though.

My vision is actually very poor, but that may be the reason I'm bothered by this. I'm very nearsighted, so I tend to see only the things close to me really well, even with my glasses on. And so maybe I see those things too well...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:55 AM   #49
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm not talking about ghosting, but about contrast getting worse. By this I mean the text grows less dark, less sharp, less contrasty with every partial refresh. It kind of pales/blurs, but by very slight degrees. After several partial page-turns it becomes quite noticeable, though.

My vision is actually very poor, but that may be the reason I'm bothered by this. I'm very nearsighted, so I tend to see only the things close to me really well, even with my glasses on. And so maybe I see those things too well...
I'm coming at this from another angle, having perfect vision and almost never reading with the frontlight on, but I fully agree with Sirtel.

I wouldn't mind ghosting per se, but the issue is that the outlines of the characters are slightly blurred on each page turn, which makes the text less sharp.

For me it's therefore important to have the screen fully refresh on each page turn and each time the menu/dictionary/whatever is accessed and then closed.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:09 AM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
When I've got the choice I set refresh to every chapter or never. I don't notice the lack of contrast on any of my eReaders when I don't refresh every page. For me that issue was resolved with the E-Carta screens. But I understand that everyone is different, with different preferences and different eyes.
+1

The only time I notice ghosting is when it wakes from sleep. I don't notice a reduction in contrast or sharpness.

I believe I have perfect (corrected) vision.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2023, 01:36 AM   #51
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
Well, after the late May share of the B&N in-store image showing this device, having ordered and received a GlowLight 4 Plus cover around the 20th, and me asking a B&N store employee about it and she stating it’s likely “a June release,” here we are in July. Wonder if it’ll be this month it launches.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:40 AM   #52
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stopped by my local B&N and inquired. They said they have received all promos and such so it’s “coming soon” but wouldn’t allow me to look at anything.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:38 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GoodEreader posted a video yesterday saying preorders start tomorrow. Release date in September(?). I'm at work, so can't post a link to the video right now.
Old 07-06-2023, 09:11 PM   #54
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Here's the link to the video
https://youtu.be/M4OOUExWdA4
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 04:32 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #56
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594155256
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:43 AM   #57
christianbk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Thanks! Some observations:
- No mention of “soft touch” which we knew with the flush screen. Hope the back is at least still soft touch’y.
- If one of your product images shows the cover of a book, I really hope it’s alluding to how they brought back covers when sleeping. Likely not, but one can hope.
- As of right now, the extra 10% off for members isn’t happening in the cart. So wait if you’re a premium member to order.

Hate how we do not get the specific specs, but the BadEreader site goes over them. I’m not sure it’ll be very zippy (hoping for a little faster than the GL4) but we’ll see.

Also no mention of the partition of the device space for sideloaded content vs. store content.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
- If one of your product images shows the cover of a book, I really hope it’s alluding to how they brought back covers when sleeping. Likely not, but one can hope.
Now that you mention it, all of the images I've seen of the Glowlight 4 Plus show book covers on the sleep screen. I don't mind the current sleep screens. But I wouldn't be against covers. And it would be a sign they are working on their firmware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27003_Quote_A2_Crook-Manifesto_07-04.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	202515  
Old 07-08-2023, 01:31 AM   #59
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Compared to Kobo Sage ($269) or Pocketbook InkPad 4 ($289), $199 is pretty competitive.

I think I'd prefer either of those to this Nook, however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:03 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Deleted because the message was redundant. The link had already been put up.

Sorry. I did check but not close enough.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-08-2023 at 08:05 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote