Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's the underlying code allowing access to the database or not. And B&N has chosen not to allow access.
I'm aware of why it doesn't work. A real shame too.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Their software is on par with the current Kindle firmware (that bad).
IMO it's worse. The Nook UI is much slower than the modern Kindle UI, and it has even fewer customization options (at least Kindles can have custom fonts, you can use the font_ramp for custom font sizes and you can lose the header/footer, none of which are possible on Nooks. And you can set the full refresh for every page - again, you can't on a Nook).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
IMO it's worse. The Nook UI is much slower than the modern Kindle UI, and it has even fewer customization options (at least Kindles can have custom fonts, you can use the font_ramp for custom font sizes and you can lose the header/footer, none of which are possible on Nooks. And you can set the full refresh for every page - again, you can't on a Nook).
font_ramp does not work for KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:13 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Their software is on par with the current Kindle firmware (that bad).
Now that I have a Kindle (Paperwhite 3) and a Nook (2015 Glowlight Plus), I prefer the Nook.

I know there's a lot of things Kindles can do that Nook can't (X-Ray, Goodreads integration). But for me, those things are unimportant.

Both Kindle and Nook are a pain with collections and series.

Nook has better line heights and margins.

Kindle is better at fonts in that you can add your own and there are more sizes, and has a better dictionary.

Nook isn't such a pain in the butt with covers. I prefer the way the device library looks on the Nook (I view both sorted by author).
Old 04-19-2023, 03:17 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
font_ramp does not work for KFX.
I don't use KFX and never did. Don't care about typesetting and hyphenation. AZW3 did everything I wanted.
Advert
Old 04-19-2023, 03:21 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Now that I have a Kindle (Paperwhite 3) and a Nook (2015 Glowlight Plus), I prefer the Nook.

I know there's a lot of things Kindles can do that Nook can't (X-Ray, Goodreads integration). But for me, those things are unimportant.

Both Kindle and Nook are a pain with collections and series.

Nook has better line heights and margins.

Kindle is better at fonts in that you can add your own and there are more sizes, and has a better dictionary.

Nook isn't such a pain in the butt with covers. I prefer the way the device library looks on the Nook (I view both sorted by author).
I never used X-Ray etc either; in fact, my Kindles were always in the airplane mode. I had no trouble with covers for that reason. Still, I preferred even a Kindle to a Nook (mostly for the font and the full refresh options, which are important to me). YMMV.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #37
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Why? What was wrong with its looks?
Well very bulky and bezels were HUGE
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Well very bulky and bezels were HUGE
I like big bezels. They make a device comfortable to hold (I never use covers). But yeah, it was a bit heavy.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
For me, what makes the Nook Glowlight 3 stand out is its great screen. Best warm light screen that I've seen. I wish they hadn't messed with font sizes and hyphenation, but I've still got one that hasn't been upgraded and like it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #40
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me, what makes the Nook Glowlight 3 stand out is its great screen. Best warm light screen that I've seen. I wish they hadn't messed with font sizes and hyphenation, but I've still got one that hasn't been upgraded and like it.
The 2019 Nook had a very good, evenly lit screen as well. But the lack of the option to refresh every page made it almost unusable for me. The contrast gets just so bad after several partial refreshes that I no longer want to read. I need a full refresh for every page.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:13 PM   #41
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I went and read reviews of the Glowlight 4 and yes, it is supposed to be faster than the previous Nooks.
I got a Nook Glowlight 4 not long ago (B&N sent me a $30 off coupon out of the blue so I figured why not) and while I never used earlier Nook hardware, it seems pretty peppy. Certainly no slower than my Inkbook Focus and quite noticeably faster than the Pocketbook InkPad 3 that I sold to justify buying the Nook. 😁
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:17 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The 2019 Nook had a very good, evenly lit screen as well. But the lack of the option to refresh every page made it almost unusable for me. The contrast gets just so bad after several partial refreshes that I no longer want to read. I need a full refresh for every page.
When I've got the choice I set refresh to every chapter or never. I don't notice the lack of contrast on any of my eReaders when I don't refresh every page. For me that issue was resolved with the E-Carta screens. But I understand that everyone is different, with different preferences and different eyes.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I've got the choice I set refresh to every chapter or never. I don't notice the lack of contrast on any of my eReaders when I don't refresh every page. For me that issue was resolved with the E-Carta screens. But I understand that everyone is different, with different preferences and different eyes.
Yes. I wish I wouldn't notice it either, but I just can't unsee it. OTOH I don't need to see kerning and ligatures which are important to several posters here. I don't notice their lack in kepubs on my Sage.

Anyway, to make a poor situation worse, at some point my Nook had an update which lessened the contrast considerably. The previously black text was dark grey after that, even after a full refresh. I read that B&N was supposed to have fixed it with the next update, but for some reason none of the subsequent updates fixed the issue on mine. I restarted, reset, tried to update again and whatnot, but no luck. The contrast remained poor, not like it was in the beginning. It bothered me so much that I sold my Nook and swore to never get another.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:56 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I like big bezels. They make a device comfortable to hold (I never use covers). But yeah, it was a bit heavy.
I like big bezels and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with a Reader
And a rectangle thing in your face
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:11 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
When I've got the choice I set refresh to every chapter or never. I don't notice the lack of contrast on any of my eReaders when I don't refresh every page. For me that issue was resolved with the E-Carta screens.
I'm with you.

Even earlier readers like my Nook ST, I would see the ghosting, but it never distracted me.

Everyone has different things they are sensitive to.