Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #1
deltatarzan
deltatarzan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Step by Step Process of Adding Real Page Numbers?

Hey Everyone,

New to creating epubs. I have a well-designed InDesign file, and trying to add Real Page Numbers. I have seen a variety of things, and have tried to use PageList from Sigil to add Real Page Numbers to the Epub file. But each time I send it to my kindle, it only shows locations numbers and not pages. So, I think I'm doing something wrong. Is there a step by step process anywhere? I edit the page and I edit to the TOC, but if there is an extra step I'm missing that. Thanks in advance!
deltatarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
amazon doesn't preserve page numbers for EPUBs sent to kindles. They don't even do it for small publishers that sell on amazon unless there is a paper version of the same book with an ISBN.

However, if you really want the kindle to show page numbers for your book, you can if you are willing to do a little work, then (gasp) copy an apnx (kindle page number) file to the kindle over USB.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatarzan View Post
But each time I send it to my kindle, it only shows locations numbers and not pages.
If you convert your .epub file to a .kfx file with jhowell's excellent KFX Conversion Output Plugin and transfer the .kfx file via usb to your Kindle, the Kindle will show page numbers.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:29 PM   #4
deltatarzan
deltatarzan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the good replies. I'm going to try to use the KFX Conversion Output Plugin and see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
amazon doesn't preserve page numbers for EPUBs sent to kindles. They don't even do it for small publishers that sell on amazon unless there is a paper version of the same book with an ISBN.
So, I do have a paper version of the book with an ISBN. Does that mean Amazon will automatically assign page numbers to the kindle? That's what I'm trying to do is upload my paperback and kindle and have same page numbers for both.
deltatarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
So, I do have a paper version of the book with an ISBN. Does that mean Amazon will automatically assign page numbers to the kindle? That's what I'm trying to do is upload my paperback and kindle and have same page numbers for both.
Are you the publisher of the paper book? If so, you probably need to contact amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2023, 05:16 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
You might want to ask @Hitch about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
My (and my customers') experience in this is that typically, Amazon will enable the RPNs (when I use this phrase, in this context, I mean page indicators, ids, created to match/tie to the print version, not made-up page numbers), IF you also have the matching print version for sale on their site.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:36 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You might want to ask @Hitch about this:
That is a) still the case and b) it's unclear, right now, if the ePUB2 method (using a hrefs for page #'s) still works. There seems to be some kerfuffle at KDP, around possibly--please note, I say, POSSIBLY--requiring an ePUB3 with a page-list.

There are some clips and programs out there that will help do this from INDD. Personally, I for one won't sit there and manually make page-lists or ahrefs, that's for damned sure.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle, page numbers