Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Fell in love again! - Nook Glowlight

Just needed to share my joy with someone! I took out my old Nook Glowlight (the white/grey one) that was my "travel-reader" of choice before the Kobo Libra 2 entered my life and became both "home and away"-reader.
I wanted to prepare an eReader for my daughter to replace her old Sony 350. At first I was planning to give her my old Kobo Aura HD that used to be my "home"-reader, but the battery turned out to be really bad (it's actually never been that great but now it's horrible!) so I reached for the Nook. And I fell back in love!
That is such a nice reader! Light and user friendly. The Home button will suit my daughter well and with book series put on shelves the libray is fairly organized (can't be compared with the automatic series info on the Kobos, but hey...) The light of course is nowhere near as good as on the Libra, but it's good enough (she tried my Libra and wasn't as impressed as I am. Odd...), and turning it on/off with the home button is really handy! The wide bezels are probably a matter of taste, love/hate, but they will suit her (as they did me) well.
Only thing that bothered me was my BN account that I haven't used for many years. I wanted to empty my BN library since the books are in Calibre anyway and realized how much stuff I had there and had to delete things one by one. (Maybe there was an easier way but I didn't bother searching for it.)

Edit: If I shoud have posted this somewhere else, feel free to move it Mods!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Just needed to share my joy with someone! I took out my old Nook Glowlight (the white/grey one) that was my "travel-reader" of choice before the Kobo Libra 2 entered my life and became both "home and away"-reader.
I wanted to prepare an eReader for my daughter to replace her old Sony 350. At first I was planning to give her my old Kobo Aura HD that used to be my "home"-reader, but the battery turned out to be really bad (it's actually never been that great but now it's horrible!) so I reached for the Nook. And I fell back in love!
That is such a nice reader! Light and user friendly. The Home button will suit my daughter well and with book series put on shelves the libray is fairly organized (can't be compared with the automatic series info on the Kobos, but hey...) The light of course is nowhere near as good as on the Libra, but it's good enough (she tried my Libra and wasn't as impressed as I am. Odd...), and turning it on/off with the home button is really handy! The wide bezels are probably a matter of taste, love/hate, but they will suit her (as they did me) well.
Only thing that bothered me was my BN account that I haven't used for many years. I wanted to empty my BN library since the books are in Calibre anyway and realized how much stuff I had there and had to delete things one by one. (Maybe there was an easier way but I didn't bother searching for it.)

Edit: If I shoud have posted this somewhere else, feel free to move it Mods!
I still love my old Nooks. The Nook ST with Glowlight (even older than your Glowlight) is one of the best readers ever and the 2015 Glowlight Plus (the model just after yours) is a beautiful bit of hardware.

I skipped the Glowlight because for me there just wasn't enough room for sideloading.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 03:10 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I still love my old Nooks. The Nook ST with Glowlight (even older than your Glowlight) is one of the best readers ever and the 2015 Glowlight Plus (the model just after yours) is a beautiful bit of hardware.

I skipped the Glowlight because for me there just wasn't enough room for sideloading.
I prefer not to have more than maybe 100 or so books on the device (I add and remove now and then) so the space for sideloaded content isn't a problem for me/us. I did however dislike the change to storage they made between the ST Glowlight and mine! (I had the ST with Glowlight as well, but gave that one away many years ago) Didn't the ST with Glowlight have an SD card slot or was that even earlier?
I think the Nooks were great as far as hardware went, but the software wasn't quite as good as the Kobo even back then. Once you get used to being able to adjust layout as much as you can in even my old Kobo Aura HD it's hard to go back.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I prefer not to have more than maybe 100 or so books on the device (I add and remove now and then) so the space for sideloaded content isn't a problem for me/us. I did however dislike the change to storage they made between the ST Glowlight and mine! (I had the ST with Glowlight as well, but gave that one away many years ago) Didn't the ST with Glowlight have an SD card slot or was that even earlier?
Yep. The ST with and without Glowlight had SD card slot. I still use mine.

Quote:
I think the Nooks were great as far as hardware went, but the software wasn't quite as good as the Kobo even back then.
That is true and has continued. The 2015 Glowlight Plus is so much nicer than the Paperwhite 3 and I think the current Glowlight 4 looks much nicer than the Clara 2E or the current Paperwhite. But their software...

Quote:
Once you get used to being able to adjust layout as much as you can in even my old Kobo Aura HD it's hard to go back.
I bought my first Kobo when I broke the screen on my first Nook. For me, I didn't have to do as much tinkering with the layout on the Nook. It just looked better out of the box than Kobo ever did until I started patching.

For me, Nooks were better at page layout than Kobo or Kindle. It was everything elsewhere Nook fell behind (and still does).

If I could use Calibre to control shelves and series for sideloaded content on current Nook firmware, I'd probably move back.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-27-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
If I could use Calibre to control shelves and series for sideloaded content on current Nook firmware, I'd probably move back.
Oh yeah! Wouldn't that be great! I've spent a lot of time today moving things to shelves (among other things I gave each series a shelf, but also some tags got their own shelf). It's not super cumbersome, but doing it in Calibre would be fantastic!
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 11:01 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
For me, Nooks were better at page layout than Kobo or Kindle. It was everything elsewhere Nook fell behind (and still does).
You know, I never really thought about that, but I've always loved reading on my Nooks, right from the Classic! Library management, not loving it, but once I've choosen my book and started reading I've been a happy camper!

(Actually, come to think of it I actually was camping a lot with my Nooks! That's part of the reason I didn't like to bring the Kobo Aura. Being off-grid and living rough. Aaahh... those were the days!)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
The old Calibre Companion (v5.4.3.3) works great on my GL3, I never have to use the nook library and can open books in the nook reader app or another reader app. I'm currently using AlreaderXE-Ink for more page layout control and night mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230227_184913139.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	200001  
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:20 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
The old Calibre Companion (v5.4.3.3) works great on my GL3, I never have to use the nook library and can open books in the nook reader app or another reader app. I'm currently using AlreaderXE-Ink for more page layout control and night mode.
I like the Nook library and it has support for series and shelves. It's just that Calibre can't directly update the Nook database like it can with Kobo.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I like my Pink Nook a lot. i don't use it much for I purchased the fancy Scribe and Sage
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I like my Pink Nook a lot. i don't use it much for I purchased the fancy Scribe and Sage
When you plugged it in, did you just have 5GB available for sideloading?
Old 04-02-2023, 02:40 PM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Well, it seems like I'm not the only one that love the old Nook! My daughter has read 10 books since she got it about a month ago! She has drastically cut down on watching videos/listening to podcasts on her bus trips to/from work and is now reading instead. One day last week when the snow caused havoc and she had to keep track of schedule/route changes and change between several buses she was very upset because she couldn't read for fear of not getting her transfers right.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Cool. I went into Barnes and Noble last weekend and spent some time looking at the Glowlight 4. Software wise, it is the same as my 2015 Glowlight Plus. But man, it is a nice little device.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:35 PM   #13
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Cool. I went into Barnes and Noble last weekend and spent some time looking at the Glowlight 4. Software wise, it is the same as my 2015 Glowlight Plus. But man, it is a nice little device.

I just picked one up off eBay. Should be here in a few days. I have a Glowlight 3 that I like quite a bit, the orange light is the best of any of my ereaders, but I’ve heard good things about the 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:57 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I just picked one up off eBay. Should be here in a few days.
Did you get one of those $90 ones? I've been looking at them. Very tempting...

Quote:
I have a Glowlight 3 that I like quite a bit, the orange light is the best of any of my ereaders, but I’ve heard good things about the 4.
Sadly, it's not as orange as the 3. The Glowlight 4 is like the Kobo Clara with page turn buttons and a home button.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:59 AM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Did you get one of those $90 ones? I've been looking at them. Very tempting...

Sadly, it's not as orange as the 3. The Glowlight 4 is like the Kobo Clara with page turn buttons and a home button.

Yep, that $90 price was too tempting to resist. 😊

Bummer that it’s not as orange. Hopefully it’s a little snappier though. My GL3 is kind of slow sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote