Notices

Old 02-27-2023, 04:39 AM   #31
KIE18
Enthusiast
KIE18 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Please do not post copyrighted ebooks to MobileRead. There are scrambling plugins that can be used if the structure of entire copyrighted epubs needs to be shared.
This book is distributed free of charge by the publisher. From there I downloaded it.
KIE18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:53 AM   #32
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Just extract the book as a single HTML file, then convert it to CP1252, then open it as CP1251 and save as UTF-8. There are many editors that can to that, including Notepad++ and VSCode.
How to extract a book in one HTML file? If you rename it to zip, then there are a lot of separate files.
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 06:32 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIE18 View Post
This book is distributed free of charge by the publisher. From there I downloaded it.
"Free of charge" does not equal "no copyright." Unless you are the rights holder (like the publisher you got it from), you are not free to redistribute copyrighted material.

Also... we're pretty far from this being a Sigil issue at this point. Time to wrap it up.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-27-2023 at 06:46 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:16 AM   #34
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Free of charge" does not equal "no copyright." Unless you are the rights holder (like the publisher you got it from), you are not free to redistribute copyrighted material.

Also... we're pretty far from this being a Sigil issue at this point. Time to wrap it up.
I know this is not a sigil issue. I was hoping that someone here would help me solve the problem with the book.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:45 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why are we still getting convoluted ways to convert to UTF-8 when I've already given a very simple solution?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #36
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
I know this is not a sigil issue. I was hoping that someone here would help me solve the problem with the book.
If you are on Linux then the iconv utility is likely already installed for you and can perform character encoding conversions. An outline of the process would probably be something like:

1. Explode/unzip your ebook into a temporary directory.

2. For each file in the temporary directory which has the wrong encoding, convert it to UTF-8. NOTE: if you are not careful about which encodings you use, iconv can introduce more encoding errors. Example follows. Note that the curly quotes I use are UTF-8 encoded characters; after running the echo command, “example” is UTF-8 encoded.

Code:
# This example demonstrates an encoding error! Be careful not to do this by mistake.
$ echo '“Hello, world!”' >example
$ iconv -f cp1252 -t utf-8 example
“Hello, world!â€iconv: illegal input sequence at position 18
Here is some bash-like shell code that might work, if you have chardetect available (on my system, this executable is provided by the python-chardet package):

Code:
for file in $(find . -type f) ; do
    if [[ $(chardetect "$file" --minimal) == "Windows-1252" ]] ; then
        iconv -f cp1252 -t utf-8 "$f" -o "$f.utf8"
        mv "$f.utf8" "$f"
    fi
done
3. Zip your book back up.

Character encodings can be a pain in the butt. I hope this helps.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:53 AM   #37
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are we still getting convoluted ways to convert to UTF-8 when I've already given a very simple solution?
I haven't tested the Modify Epub plugin for this purpose myself, and I don't have any convenient ebooks to test it with, but I do see the option you mention. The hover text says that it “removes any existing charset tags on html pages and encodes in UTF-8”. OP's charset tags already say that the content is UTF-8, so the question in my mind which I would want to test out before relying on this feature is, how does Modify Epub detect the origin encoding? If it takes the original charset tag as gospel then it will get this wrong. If it does get it right somehow, then your solution will be much more convenient than the loop I gave above.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think calibre's python includes the chardet module (or its own subclassed version thereof). I would suspect that the Modify Epub plugin uses that to determine (through multiple confidence-based checks) the original encoding.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:18 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, did you actually try this? The solution you gave works if the epub is encoded in utf-8 but is not declared to be in utf-8. It will not convert code page 1251 to utf-8 which is what I think the OP wants to do. Especially not since the original epub has encoding="utf-8" declared.

I do have some curiosity about how InDesign was used to generate this dog's breakfast but no quick and easy solutions come to mind.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:19 PM   #40
isarl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
Code:
        mv "$f.utf8" "$f"
    fi
done
The more I look at this, the more I worry that it might break if your filenames have a space character in them or something. It might be better to use find's -execdir option instead. Maybe something like:

Code:
read -r -d '' bash_script <<'EOF'
if [[ $(chardetect "{}" --minimal) == "Windows-1252" ]] ; then
    iconv -f cp1252 -t utf-8 "{}" -o "{}.utf8"
    mv "{}.utf8" "{}"
fi
EOF
find . -type f -execdir bash -c "$bash_script" ';'

Last edited by isarl; 02-27-2023 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fix typo in find options
Old 02-27-2023, 11:54 PM   #41
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you are on Linux then the iconv utility is likely already installed for you and can perform character encoding conversions. An outline of the process would probably be something like:

1. Explode/unzip your ebook into a temporary directory.

2. For each file in the temporary directory which has the wrong encoding, convert it to UTF-8. NOTE: if you are not careful about which encodings you use, iconv can introduce more encoding errors. Example follows. Note that the curly quotes I use are UTF-8 encoded characters; after running the echo command, “example” is UTF-8 encoded.

Code:
# This example demonstrates an encoding error! Be careful not to do this by mistake.
$ echo '“Hello, world!”' >example
$ iconv -f cp1252 -t utf-8 example
“Hello, world!â€iconv: illegal input sequence at position 18
Here is some bash-like shell code that might work, if you have chardetect available (on my system, this executable is provided by the python-chardet package):

Code:
        mv "$f.utf8" "$f"
    fi
done
3. Zip your book back up.

Character encodings can be a pain in the butt. I hope this helps.
I am using windows 10.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:56 PM   #42
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How to extract a book in one HTML file?
You can merge them first.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:58 PM   #43
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I do have some curiosity about how InDesign was used to generate this dog's breakfast
It must be an old Type-1 converted font with wrong glyph names.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:28 AM   #44
isarl
Addict

Quote:
I am using windows 10.
GnuWin32 seems to provide iconv for Windows. As for the logic to test whether a file is CP1252 before trying to convert it, I leave that to you. I have already done 95% of the work for you.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:53 AM   #45
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
GnuWin32 seems to provide iconv for Windows. As for the logic to test whether a file is CP1252 before trying to convert it, I leave that to you. I have already done 95% of the work for you.
I am not a programmer and do not work in IT. Working with code is space for me. I don't understand your recommendations.
Is there an easy way that even a child can handle?