Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Python 3 (and Cython) on Kobo

Since I'm using python for creating a little program for kobo, I'll post here this package, for anyone interested.

It contains the python 3.4.1 libraries, the interpreter and a limited subset of the standard library. For this reason the package is very small (~6 Mb unpacked).

I don't create a separate package for python anymore. If you want to install it, you have simply to get the Kobo Installer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=1

Not all modules are included, since the size is too much for our poor little Kobo. You can find all the other modules here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=6

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 08-26-2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: cleaned up info
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I updated the package, I added also the interpreter. Maybe it's more useful to be able to create a python script and launch it with the usual "python3 script.py", I suppose.
Advert
Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I updated the package, I added also the interpreter. Maybe it's more useful to be able to create a python script and launch it with the usual "python3 script.py", I suppose.
Thank you! I think this should be much more appealing for most users than your first package. I am not a python user myself (maybe not yet), but I think I should probably update the Kobo Start Menu so that one can easily launch python scripts.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Python is fantastic for that stuff (also). Bash scripting is quite tedious!

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 07-31-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I added a bunch of modules to the package, including:

sqlite3
tarfile
bz2
re
time
datetime
math
collections
shutil
fnmatch
copy
string
logging
traceback
atexit
pickle
mmap
fcntl
array

Since I'm using Python extensively in Kobo Installer, you can install them together. I'm no more interested to create a separate package.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 08-14-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Advert
Old 08-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I add also all the modules, pyc compiled. I suggest you to add only the modules you need. You can sideload the entire package, but this way the python installation will levitate to more than 20 Mb (note that you have only 100 Mb free on your root partition).
Attached Files
File Type: zip python3-modules.zip (5.89 MB, 498 views)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Haugor
Enthusiast
Haugor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch C、KPW3
This is a great project! expanding functions with programming.
I am green hands. May you give me some detail tips about telnet Kobo? Thank you!
Haugor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugor View Post
This is a great project! expanding functions with programming.
I am green hands. May you give me some detail tips about telnet Kobo? Thank you!
As a KSM user you might be interested in this post, first spoiler.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Haugor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
aH! I just thought the USBnet function as USB sharing network of ANDROID.

Thank you, tshering. I hear of you are going to build a Web Browser, it is so fantastic!

I have a question, may Kobo support GTK+ lib so it is possible to transplant Kindle's softwares.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem here is that it's Python 3. It should be Python 2.7. Python 3 is a mistake. It's incompatible and most code written for Python 2.x will not be ported as it's not worth the effort. Python 3 should be Python 2.x compatible.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Haugor
Enthusiast

Quote:
I tried the USBnet, it just echo 'usb network error'.
What should I do? thank you
Old 08-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #12
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

@jswolf: in my humble opinion it worth the effort enough. py3 is much more powerful and easy to use and have features like generators and new formatting minilanguage that I find impossible to renounce now. On the other hand py2 is full of deprecated features, incompatible behavours and convoluted unicode support.
The majority of the translation works is done by the 2to3 tool. Furthermore you can slightly move to the py3 code using from future import blablabla

@haugor: what OS do you have and where the error comes up?
I don't know if gtk needs an X. Kobo devices use Qt and no X.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
Haugor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@Lucas Malor
I use Kobo firmware 2.8.1

after I click the 'usbnet' button. Kobo echo 'usb network error' in a QT dialog box.

I ask about the GTK because Kindle has a Terminal Emulator based on GTK, I hope Kobo can use it.

Thank you for reply!

Last edited by Haugor; 08-20-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugor View Post
after I click the 'usbnet' button. Kobo echo 'usb network error' in a QT dialog box.
You can try starting usbnet from KSM, rather than from KoboLauncher. I think the problem is that KoboLauncher does not differentiate between the different Kobo Touch versions.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #15
Haugor
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can try starting usbnet from KSM, rather than from KoboLauncher. I think the problem is that KoboLauncher does not differentiate between the different Kobo Touch versions.
thank you tshering, I am sorry that I just can not find the usbnet option in KSM.