Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
suspended hyphen constructs

not a sigil question per se, but as this as a great place for expert typesetting type advice...

phrases like
bell- book- andcandle

which I just encountered in a retail book
( the sentence is: Well, I don’t want any of this bell-book-andcandle, incense-burning, medieval rubbish. )

or more generally, word1- word2 -andword3

crop up now & again & retail quality books.

It looks wrong to me not to have a space between "and" & the final word, but is it actually valid & not sloppy proofreading ? It is an awkward question to google.

& ideally is this a situation for using dash, endash, or emdash & with or without spaces ?

more examples here:
http://editingandwritingservices.com/suspended-hyphens/
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
andcandle, andword are simply misspelled

I flunked High School English (all them odd rules made my head spin), but I think suspend in this usage indicates something repetitive is assumed

Using your link:

Pre-war and Post-war
Two–wheel drive and four-wheel drive
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've seen it "pre- and post-war."

I don't know about the "and" with no space between it and the next word. Can honestly say I've never encountered it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
IMHO, the first sentence is not an example of a suspended hyphen. The first phrase "bell, book and candle" is a Catholic term that that should be written as a compound with hyphens between each element, because it's used as an adjective:

bell-book-and-candle, incense-burning, medieval rubbish

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-10-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
or more generally, word1- word2 -andword3
This is wrong and was simply missed by the editors. They are only human and I find typos in many "high quality" books.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
IMHO, the first sentence is not an example of a suspended hyphen. The first phrase "bell, book and candle" is a Catholic term that hat should be written as a compound with hyphens between each element, because it's used as an adjective:

bell-book-and-candle, incense-burning, medieval rubbish
i have 2 versions of that book - a purchased kindle version and an epub library loan, it is the same in both versions, which makes me wonder if it was deliberate.

more likely I suppose, it was wrong in the hardback/paperback & left that way, unless it was done for emphasis given the compound nature of the sentence ?

there are 3 - what do you call them? - adjectival clauses, describing 3 types of "rubbish" & the bell book candle bit is one of 3 such. so maybe that is why the words need to be hyphen linked ?

( I know that the usual catholic phrase is: bell, book and candle , & the context here is that the speaker IS talking about exorcism- the book is the novel Midwinter Of The Spirit by Phil Rickman )
I think it reads better like the quoted poster says:
Well, I don’t want any of this bell-book-and-candle, incense-burning, medieval rubbish.

the e-book sentence is: Well, I don’t want any of this bell-book-andcandle, incense-burning, medieval rubbish.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-10-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
i have 2 versions of that book - a purchased kindle version and an epub library loan, it is the same in both versions, which makes me wonder if it was deliberate.
Most likely both books are based on the same digital source that was scanned from the original.

Quote:
there are 3 - what do you call them? - adjectival clauses, describing 3 types of "rubbish" & the bell book candle bit is one of 3 such. so maybe that is why the words need to be hyphen linked ?
AFAIK, noun phrases usually need to be hyphenated when they're used as adjectives.

For example:

- in a matter-of-fact tone
- a head-to-toe inspection
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

publishers still use scanning ? - no wonder retail epub quality is so bad??? - I would have thought the'd have their originals in some computer format which they could run through e-book making software I think this novel was originally published circa 2000. new enough for authors to be using word processors ?